Heat Issues while gaming

Old November 11th 04, 06:12 PM
Dave Henrie

Default Heat Issues while gaming

I have had this cpu/mb/vidcard combo for almost a year and half now.
Through two fairly hot summers, this system NEVER shut down from heat.
Now, as the temps cool, I have had 5 or 6 complete system shutdowns with
the heat alarm beeping and bopping away. Generaly my AMD 2800+ runs in the
mid 40's C range while not under a load. But in the past week, I've been
shutdown twice (with temps climbing into the mid 60's C area) while running
the NR2k3 TPTCC mod, once with the new Rfactor demo. Even a virus scan
program cannot be completed because as soon as the scanner begins working
the temps climb fairly rapidly. I've even thrown a big 20 inch box fan at
the open side of the case, I still can't keep it cool.
Is there any history of AMD chips getting more prone to heat over time.
I admit, I've played the heck out of this box...but this sudden and
dramatic change in behaivor has puzzled me. Should I attempt to reseat the
heatsink/fan or go for some liquid cooler? Even if I refrigerate the chip
is it now possibly heat damaged?
pooo...

dave henrie
Old November 11th 04, 06:20 PM
Tanstaafl

First thing I would do is remove the AMD chip, carefully remove the thermal
grease that is probably dry and put on a new thin coating of the best
thermal grease I can find. It worked for me.

. 97.136...

Old November 11th 04, 06:28 PM
Kinesin

Dave Henrie wrote:
> I have had this cpu/mb/vidcard combo for almost a year and half now.
> Through two fairly hot summers, this system NEVER shut down from heat.
> Now, as the temps cool, I have had 5 or 6 complete system shutdowns with
> the heat alarm beeping and bopping away. Generaly my AMD 2800+ runs in the
> mid 40's C range while not under a load. But in the past week, I've been
> shutdown twice (with temps climbing into the mid 60's C area) while running
> the NR2k3 TPTCC mod, once with the new Rfactor demo. Even a virus scan
> program cannot be completed because as soon as the scanner begins working
> the temps climb fairly rapidly. I've even thrown a big 20 inch box fan at
> the open side of the case, I still can't keep it cool.
> Is there any history of AMD chips getting more prone to heat over time.
> I admit, I've played the heck out of this box...but this sudden and
> dramatic change in behaivor has puzzled me. Should I attempt to reseat the
> heatsink/fan or go for some liquid cooler? Even if I refrigerate the chip
> is it now possibly heat damaged?
> pooo...
>
> dave henrie

Well none of the AMD chips I've owned or used have even suddenly got
hotter. I would open up your box and check the all the fans in your
machine are working.. PSU, northbridge, CPU etc, could be any could
causing isses.
I would be tempted to reseat the heatsink and fan, and clean it of any
dust that may have got suck between the fins.
The chip should be ok as the heat alarm is kicking in, could something
really strange tho misconfigured voltage setting. Check your Bios and
load the default

--
(clear the weather to reply)
Old November 12th 04, 01:18 AM
Pete

I have had to do this with my AMD system as well. Fresh grease back up
and running fine.

Pete

Old November 12th 04, 01:41 AM
Dave Henrie

It is always the simple things folks. Somebody kick me for not checking
this first. A big dose of compressed air to the fans and fins made a
DRAMATIC improvement. Fans were all spinning even with the heat, but just
cleaning the dust off allowed all three fans to gain several hundred rpm.
And getting the dust out from the heatsink fins seems to have broght the
max temps down...waaaaay down.

bending over....

dave henrie
Old November 12th 04, 04:50 AM
crossbone

Let it be known that on Thu, 11 Nov 2004 12:12:26 -0600, Dave Henrie
> wrote:

> Is there any history of AMD chips getting more prone to heat over time.
>I admit, I've played the heck out of this box...but this sudden and
>dramatic change in behaivor has puzzled me. Should I attempt to reseat the
>heatsink/fan or go for some liquid cooler? Even if I refrigerate the chip
>is it now possibly heat damaged?
>pooo...

You've probably had already checked for this, but have you cleaned your pc?
This summer my CPU started running hot for some reason. It turned out that the
heat sink on the CPU was full of dust. I blew it out with some compressed air,
and the temp droped over 15 degrees.
Old November 12th 04, 04:56 AM
Dave Henrie

crossbone > wrote in
:

> You've probably had already checked for this, but have you cleaned
> your pc? This summer my CPU started running hot for some reason. It
> turned out that the heat sink on the CPU was full of dust. I blew it
> out with some compressed air, and the temp droped over 15 degrees.

errrr....see my other post....hehhee
dh
Old November 12th 04, 01:38 PM
Kinesin

Dave Henrie wrote:

> It is always the simple things folks. Somebody kick me for not checking
> this first. A big dose of compressed air to the fans and fins made a
> DRAMATIC improvement. Fans were all spinning even with the heat, but just
> cleaning the dust off allowed all three fans to gain several hundred rpm.
> And getting the dust out from the heatsink fins seems to have broght the
> max temps down...waaaaay down.
>
> bending over....
>
> dave henrie

Good result.. and I didn't have to suggesting using less tape on the
grill ;-)

--
(clear the weather to reply)
Old November 12th 04, 03:24 PM
Mark

Sounds to me like your cpu fan is hosed. I recently had very similar
problems. Added case fans, no better. CPU fan was running, but when
I ran my mobo diagnosis tool it was running slow. I've found no
amount of case cooling will help out if the cpu fan is not up to it.

As I couldn't find a fan that would fit, I replaced both heatsink and
fan. No problems since - so my cpu didn't fry. Hope yours didn't
either.

Regards,

Mark
at v8thunder dot com