Whining/grinding noise on PT Cruiser

Old February 8th 11, 02:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
John Foyt[_2_]

Default Whining/grinding noise on PT Cruiser

I've got a problem with my PT Cruiser and thought I'd ask the group
here about it.

At about 20 miles an hour I start to hear what sounds like a grinding
noise. It starts low in pitch and gets higher as I go faster.

My mechanic was dismissive of the problem and didn't even address it
when I last brought the car in (major tuneup.) When I asked later we
went for a short ride and he said it was due to shocks and struts
deteriorating, that the tires were wearing unevenly and that's what
was making the noise. All plausible, but it would cost in the area of
$900 for shocks, struts and new tires. I'd do it, but I'd want to be
sure I was was addressing the actual problem.

My mechanic doesn't seem to think it's dangerous, but I'm not so
sure. The noise is pretty loud inside the car but apparently not
outside. At least, in six weeks of this problem no one has turned to
look at the car as I go by.

Alignment is good. I've taken the car out of drive and in to neutral
at several speeds and the noise doesn't change. Also doesn't change if
I hit a bump and I'd think I would get a momentary blip if it were
tires. I'm thinking something inside the wheel, perhaps A-Arm or some
such.

Any ideas? I plan to check in with my mechanic again this weekend and
would like to have some possibilities in mind.
Old February 8th 11, 03:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Pete E. Kruzer[_2_]

Shocks and struts deteriorating, wearing unevenly.

> My mechanic doesn't seem to think it's dangerous, but I'm not so
> sure.

Not dangerous??

I think you should get a new mechanic. Get one at:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechx/find.html
Old February 9th 11, 04:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
QX[_2_]

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 06:18:16 -0800 (PST), John Foyt
> wrote:

>I've got a problem with my PT Cruiser and thought I'd ask the group
>here about it.
>
>At about 20 miles an hour I start to hear what sounds like a grinding
>noise. It starts low in pitch and gets higher as I go faster.
>
>My mechanic was dismissive of the problem and didn't even address it
>when I last brought the car in (major tuneup.) When I asked later we
>went for a short ride and he said it was due to shocks and struts
>deteriorating, that the tires were wearing unevenly and that's what
>was making the noise. All plausible, but it would cost in the area of
>$900 for shocks, struts and new tires. I'd do it, but I'd want to be
>sure I was was addressing the actual problem.
>
>My mechanic doesn't seem to think it's dangerous, but I'm not so
>sure. The noise is pretty loud inside the car but apparently not
>outside. At least, in six weeks of this problem no one has turned to
>look at the car as I go by.
>
>Alignment is good. I've taken the car out of drive and in to neutral
>at several speeds and the noise doesn't change. Also doesn't change if
>I hit a bump and I'd think I would get a momentary blip if it were
>tires. I'm thinking something inside the wheel, perhaps A-Arm or some
>such.
>
>Any ideas? I plan to check in with my mechanic again this weekend and
>would like to have some possibilities in mind.

Wheel bearings or CV joint ? Just guessing.
Old February 9th 11, 12:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
John Foyt[_2_]

> Wheel bearings or CV joint ? Just guessing.

I was thinking along those lines too. A worn-down bearing might make
that noise, or at least so I was thinking.

To add to the mystery, I forgot to add this befo The noise is
significantly less when I steer right, even slightly like on a long
slow highway curve. Seems barely louder when I steer left but the
main difference is from straight ahead to steering right.
Old February 12th 11, 08:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
John Foyt[_2_]

Turned out to be a worn hub bearing on the left side. Got it fixed.
Thanks peeps.
Old February 12th 11, 09:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Rob[_22_]

when you were steering to the right, more vehicle weight was going on the
LEFT bearing. it might have tightened up some bearing clearances, making it
quieter

aidi a6 :- whining noise Stef Audi 0 July 5th 07 10:34 PM
VW 2000 Passat with whining noise [email protected] VW water cooled 3 April 8th 07 06:40 PM
humming noise or grinding noise rynniki Honda 4 July 6th 05 12:16 PM
whining noise coming from rear Mike Ford Explorer 2 November 15th 04 06:39 AM
520i 1994: whining noise ikle BMW 0 October 17th 04 05:14 PM