CV Joint / Rear Axle (1995, 100k)

Old August 7th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
somebody

Default CV Joint / Rear Axle (1995, 100k)

I hear a clicking from my right rear wheel that has the distinctive CV joint
clicking sound. Looking at old (2000) posting to this group it appears that
I would be better off buying a whole new/reman axel. The labor for
installing the axle seems less than replacing just one CV joint, and it
seems that only one of the two CV joints can be replaced. So, does it make
more sense to replace the axle than try to replace one CV joint? If so do I
need to replace the left and right axle (or is it recommended to do so)?
Any good sources for and axle? And do I need the axle nut or any other
non-reusable part?
Thank you.

Old August 11th 06, 05:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
somebody

Mazda wanted about $400 per side for the replacement rear half-axel. I
found Autozone.com and racepages.com had remanufactured ones for about $100
each with free shipping (and core fee which should come back). Also
partsamerica.com had them for about $120 each. Remanufactured ones sell for
more on ebay than they do direct from these dealers. Also on Ebay are used
ones for about the same price (or more) than the remanufactured ones.
Despite the high core charge, I ordered a pair of them from Autozone since I
know they are a reputable dealer.

Old August 11th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

somebody wrote:
> Mazda wanted about $400 per side for the replacement rear half-axel. I
> found Autozone.com and racepages.com had remanufactured ones for about $100
> each with free shipping (and core fee which should come back). Also
> partsamerica.com had them for about $120 each. Remanufactured ones sell for
> more on ebay than they do direct from these dealers. Also on Ebay are used
> ones for about the same price (or more) than the remanufactured ones.
> Despite the high core charge, I ordered a pair of them from Autozone since I
> know they are a reputable dealer.

Funny, Mazda wants $800.00 just for the pair of halfshafts. I have a
low-mileage 1996 torsen rear end for sale that includes the halfshafts
and driveshaft.
I started out asking $650.00 for the entire setup and got no takers. The
price has dropped to $550.00, I am not going any lower, I would rather
save it for a future project than do that.

The torsen in my 1991 model is from a 2001 model. That 1991 model now
has OEM parts from a 1990, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2000 & a 2001 model
miata, plus most of the Flying Miata catalog installed.

Now I am trying to figure out what I can put on it from the 2006 MX-5. :-)

Pat
Old August 11th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> Now I am trying to figure out what I can put on it from the 2006 MX-5. :-)

I think the shift knob will fit. That's about it....

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old August 11th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
somebody

another reason to go with autozone is that i can return the cores to a local
store and not have to pay for return shipping.

Old August 11th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> I think the shift knob will fit. That's about it....

Have they changed the offset or lug pattern on those 17" wheels? Not
that I would ever use them on any M1 or M2.
In fact, I would switch those out asap, both for a one inch smaller size
and a different-looking style if I bought a new MX-5. People seem to
either love the wheels or hate them, I am in the latter category.

How about the brakes and engine/driveline? It can't be as easy as the
1.6 to 1.8 swap but maybe possible without too much customizing?
I agree, the compatibility guide will be very short for new model miatas
compared to the previous two models.

I could never give up my black metal voodoo knob. In about two hours, I
will be able to go grab it and suffer 2nd to 3rd degree burns to my hand
from this near-molten piece of metal.
Why would I ever give that up? ;-)

Pat
Old August 11th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> Have they changed the offset or lug pattern on those 17" wheels?

5 lugs, same pattern as RX-8 and Mazda3.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old August 12th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

Lanny Chambers > wrote:

>In article >,
> pws > wrote:
>
>> Now I am trying to figure out what I can put on it from the 2006 MX-5. :-)

>I think the shift knob will fit. That's about it....

Will it? That is a relief. I do not particularly like my shift knob, but
when I unscrewed it, the thread seemed to go on forever, so I assumed it was
not compatible.

Leon
--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
Old August 12th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Leon van Dommelen wrote:

> Will it? That is a relief. I do not particularly like my shift knob, but
> when I unscrewed it, the thread seemed to go on forever, so I assumed it was
> not compatible.
>
> Leon

C'mon Leon, just take the voodoo knob out of your '96 and see if it fits
the 2006 model. Then you can let us know for certain.

pretty please? :-)

Pat
Old August 12th 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

pws > wrote:

>Leon van Dommelen wrote:
>
>> Will it? That is a relief. I do not particularly like my shift knob, but
>> when I unscrewed it, the thread seemed to go on forever, so I assumed it was
>> not compatible.
>>
>> Leon

>C'mon Leon, just take the voodoo knob out of your '96 and see if it fits
>the 2006 model. Then you can let us know for certain.
>
>pretty please? :-)

I have no voodoo. But I'll try to remember to swap the knobmeister
(bigger size) tomorrow and see whether that one fits.

Leon

--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
The only thing better than a white Miata is two white Miatas

2003 Rear axle whine Cedartown Electronics Ford Explorer 14 July 15th 06 08:37 PM
Scout axle data? Stupendous Man Jeep 2 December 8th 05 02:56 AM
1994 E36 Vibration in rear axle? Lordy BMW 7 February 4th 05 03:35 AM
Replace CV Joint or CV Axle ? [email protected] Honda 6 November 26th 04 09:27 PM