battery ?

Old April 14th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default battery ?

has anyone ever heard of a battery having a dead cell and then turning on
the defense mechanism of the computer so your car won't start? my stepson's
Hyundai accent wouldn't start and i got 12 volts at the battery and at the
wiring harness to the coils. the coils and crankshaft position sensor were
new. the dealer charged him $118.00 for the battery and now it runs ,where
before we got no spark, even if i jumped it with a portable power pack. any
thoughts? thanks

Old April 14th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

randy pape wrote:
> has anyone ever heard of a battery having a dead cell and then turning on
> the defense mechanism of the computer so your car won't start? my stepson's
> Hyundai accent wouldn't start and i got 12 volts at the battery and at the
> wiring harness to the coils. the coils and crankshaft position sensor were
> new. the dealer charged him $118.00 for the battery and now it runs ,where
> before we got no spark, even if i jumped it with a portable power pack. any
> thoughts? thanks

yeah, batterys are 14.7 volts
Old April 14th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Now, that's news to me, presume the starter turned over, it may be be a
wipe-out of the comp.? That's unusual.

--
Knifeblade_03
Knifeblade_03's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=262826

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old April 14th 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

randy pape wrote:

> has anyone ever heard of a battery having a dead cell and then turning on
> the defense mechanism of the computer so your car won't start? my stepson's
> Hyundai accent wouldn't start and i got 12 volts at the battery and at the
> wiring harness to the coils. the coils and crankshaft position sensor were
> new. the dealer charged him $118.00 for the battery and now it runs ,where
> before we got no spark, even if i jumped it with a portable power pack. any
> thoughts? thanks

I don't know what you mean about the computer. Max charge is 12.6 volts. It is a
Pb-PbSO4 reaction. A dead cell often is not really dead voltage wise. It is at
2.1 volts but has very little amperage under load. What was the battery voltage
when the headlights were on?
Old April 14th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Computer must see a minimum cranking voltage or nothing happens.
Defective batteries do bad things to the PCM and its subsystems

Old April 14th 06, 10:07 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"randy pape" > wrote in message
> has anyone ever heard of a battery having a dead cell and then turning on
> the defense mechanism of the computer so your car won't start? my

stepson's
> Hyundai accent wouldn't start and i got 12 volts at the battery and at the
> wiring harness to the coils. the coils and crankshaft position sensor were
> new. the dealer charged him $118.00 for the battery and now it runs ,where
> before we got no spark, even if i jumped it with a portable power pack.

any
> thoughts? thanks

Since it didn't start when you jumped it, I have to wonder if
perhaps the battery cables were crudded up. Maybe the
dealer didn't clean the cables before running a battery test?

Ted

Old April 14th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Come to think of it, it might have been poor battery cable-connects, not
sending enough voltage to the comp. to keep it "alive".

Old April 14th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

i still thought the starter pak should have supplied enough power to at
least see a spark at the plug when i tested that? either way i wonder if it
wasn't the battery all along then and not the $400.00 other parts they
replaced? thanks for the replies

Old April 14th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

when a starter is continually subjected to an overload repeatedly, or
from excessive use,

it has a tendency to "smoke". when this happens heavy bumps on the
housing

sometimes makes for a temporary reconnect, and/or conduction enough to -
start, maybe.

mho
vfe

Old April 15th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

randy pape wrote:

> has anyone ever heard of a battery having a dead cell and then turning on
> the defense mechanism of the computer so your car won't start? my stepson's
> Hyundai accent wouldn't start and i got 12 volts at the battery and at the
> wiring harness to the coils. the coils and crankshaft position sensor were
> new. the dealer charged him $118.00 for the battery and now it runs ,where
> before we got no spark, even if i jumped it with a portable power pack. any
> thoughts? thanks

Yes I have a thought - How can anyone answer a question like that?

The statement "we got no spark, even if i jumped it with a portable
power pack" implies that the starter was cranking the engine normally
both with and without a jump. So the question sounds like you are asking
->

Is it possible for the battery (and/or battery plus jump) to deliver
enough power to crank the engine normally but somehow the computer would
detect a defect in the battery and refuse to function?

The above analysis assumes that if the engine was not cranking
normally that detail would have been mentioned in the question. For
instance if you couldn't get the engine to crank at all getting no spark
would be pretty normal. But if one starts assuming that you left out a
critical detail like the engine wouldn't crank then one might also
wonder what else important was omitted. So for all I know the car
wouldn't start because it was out of gas 8^}

-jim