Replacing headlight bulb on 2002 A4 1.8T Quattro

Old February 28th 06, 10:21 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default Replacing headlight bulb on 2002 A4 1.8T Quattro

Hi Everyone,

The front left headlight (lowbeam) has burnt out on my 2002 A4 1.8T Quattro.
The dealer wants 75 to 80 bucks to replace the bulb (part is around 20 plus
30 minutes of time...). This seems a little excessive to replace a bulb. I
am wondering how easy it is to replace it myself (are any special tools
required?). Is it obvious how to do it?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Dave

Old February 28th 06, 11:03 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

David,
wow...deja vu....didn't this question about an A3 just come up this morning?
As a matter of fact....it did!
[cut&paste follows]
Rob,
I believe that your first step should be to get an owner's manual for the
car - it's useful for more than just warnings about drinking windshield
washer fluid. You can pick a manual up at the dealer's, or on eBay, or
through an obliging person on Audiworld or a local club.
It would be advisable to replace both headlight bulbs at the same time,
since you'll find that the other bulb will fail shortly after you install
the new bulb (I'm told that it has something to do with resistance, age,
etc., but I believe that it's jealousy)
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ
1980 Audi 5k
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

"RobP" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Got a A3 1.8T 2001 with one headlight dead.
>
> I thought I'd try and replace it myself, but am just wondering if anyone
> can give me any tips or point me towards any online docs.
>
> I'm not entirely sure if you change the bulb from the front or from
> behind.
>
> If it's from the front, I guess I have to get the headlight cover off
> somehow?
>
> I looked at the rear of the headlamps and saw some cover that comes off,
> but it didn't look to me like there was space to take a bulb out from that
> side.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Cheers
>
> Rob

There were other responses about removing a cover & such.....try looking in
the recent posts.

Old February 28th 06, 11:35 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"David McCracken" wrote

> The front left headlight (lowbeam) has burnt out on my 2002 A4 1.8T
> Quattro.
> The dealer wants 75 to 80 bucks to replace the bulb (part is around 20
> plus
> 30 minutes of time...). This seems a little excessive to replace a bulb.

If it's anything like my B5 (2001) where the space under the hood is quite
limited, the 30 minutes doesn't sound all that excessive. Dealer rates -
well, that's another story. To get good access to the bulb may require
pulling the entire headlight out. I've done it several times, and while I
successively get better at it, it's still not as easy or quick as replacing
a bulb in your flashlight.

Cheers,

Pete

Old March 1st 06, 12:57 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:21:23 -0500, "David McCracken"
> wrote:

>Hi Everyone,
>
>The front left headlight (lowbeam) has burnt out on my 2002 A4 1.8T Quattro.
>The dealer wants 75 to 80 bucks to replace the bulb (part is around 20 plus
>30 minutes of time...). This seems a little excessive to replace a bulb. I
>am wondering how easy it is to replace it myself (are any special tools
>required?). Is it obvious how to do it?

RTFM. You do have the owner's manual, don't you? Read it, and follow
the very clear, detailed, and pictographic instructions that Audi
provides in there.
Old March 1st 06, 01:08 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

You'll need the appropriate star bit to remove the headlight. 3 screws
on top, and 2 on the bottom, you gotta fish down there to find them,
just loosen the bottom ones so the light can slide freely, you dont
have to remove them all-together. Then just pull it out strait
forward to give yourself enough room to reach in and pull the existing
H7 light out, and put a new one in. Headlights are $10 max at any auto
store.. H7 55watt is what you want (provided you dont have xenon, then
ignore everything i just said, its a different boat and a lot more
expensive).

I dont know if the manual gives detailed directions, it probably does
as someone else mentioned.. that's always a good bet too.

anyways, your total cost to DIY shoudl be < $20, or $30ish if you buy
all the tools you need, then you have the tools to do it in the future
and not have to rely on the dealer. =)

g'luck

Old March 1st 06, 01:17 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

"KLS" > wrote

> RTFM. You do have the owner's manual, don't you? Read it, and follow
> the very clear, detailed, and pictographic instructions that Audi
> provides in there.

Does the B6 manual even provide that info? The B5 certainly doesn't.
It doesn't even mention the type of bulb required. They just outwardly
expect you to take it to the dealer to have it replaced.

Pete

Old March 1st 06, 05:09 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 19:17:35 -0500, "Pete" >
wrote:

>"KLS" > wrote
>
>> RTFM. You do have the owner's manual, don't you? Read it, and follow
>> the very clear, detailed, and pictographic instructions that Audi
>> provides in there.

>Does the B6 manual even provide that info? The B5 certainly doesn't.
>It doesn't even mention the type of bulb required. They just outwardly
>expect you to take it to the dealer to have it replaced.

I can't speak to the B6, but on pages 192-197 of my manual are the
clear, detailed, and pictographic instructions I used to replace my
bulbs in my 98.5 A4 with excellent results (yes, I just went outside
at 10:25 pm EST in the 23F temperatures and snow falling to go to the
garage and retrieve this manual). Page 192 also includes a very handy
chart with types of bulbs required for all the lights involved. Do
you actually possess this thick adhesive-bound manual, or are you
referring to the quick-reference thin spiral bound handbook? If the
latter (which I didn't retrieve from my car), I wouldn't be surprised
to see this information missing.
Old March 1st 06, 06:45 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

"KLS" wrote
> Do
> you actually possess this thick adhesive-bound manual, or are you
> referring to the quick-reference thin spiral bound handbook? If the
> latter (which I didn't retrieve from my car), I wouldn't be surprised
> to see this information missing.

Yeah, I'm referring to the thick proper manual. My 2001 B5 manual
certainly does not contain this information.

Pete

Old March 1st 06, 12:35 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Thanks Guys for the info.

Of course the first place I checked was the owners manual and they provide
no information other than telling you to bring it to the dealer as it has
become more complicated.

After doing a search on google and the information provided here it looks
like I need to slide the light assemble out to get good access to it and I
think I know know where all the bolts are. I should have the proper torx
bit. It has also been suggested to change both lights at the same time as I
am sure the other one must be close to going as well.

One question I do have - is it necessary to unplug the battery before
unplugging the headlights?

Thanks again guys for your help, looks like I Will have a fun project this
weekend

Dave

Old March 1st 06, 06:50 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Pete" > wrote in message

> "KLS" wrote
> > Do
> > you actually possess this thick adhesive-bound manual, or are you
> > referring to the quick-reference thin spiral bound handbook? If the
> > latter (which I didn't retrieve from my car), I wouldn't be surprised
> > to see this information missing.

> Yeah, I'm referring to the thick proper manual. My 2001 B5 manual
> certainly does not contain this information.

Same here. My 2000 B5 A4 tells you to refer to the dealer. Oh Yeah !!! It's
easy to do on my 2.8 B5. Takes 2 minutes. Good job as they blow all the time
!!!

Richard