Cambelt gone after 12,239 miles.Story!

Old November 5th 04, 07:39 PM
Paul Woodsford

Default Cambelt gone after 12,239 miles.Story!

Alfa 147 1.6Ts first registered Nov 2003.
12,000 mile service done at 12,155 miles Standard service.
At 12,239 miles whilst negotiating a sharp bend into works carpark. Noise
like belt going under bonnet ( have had fan belt break on another vehicle
many years ago ) and engine stopped. NO nasty metal noises.
AA diagnosed cam belt as camshaft not turning when turning engine over on
starter. NO nasty metal noises.
At Victoria Park Motors in Cardiff, many scratched heads. Cambelt cover
removed. Belt split longitudinally into 2 and transverse across 1/2 . 5
teeth scrubbed off other 1/2 of belt.
Fitted new belt, checked compressions, within factory guideline pressures.
However, took off camshaft/head. No marks on piston heads but 2 valves not
freely moving compared with others. Not same cylinder. Valves/guides
replaced head certified within tolerance. Refitted to engine, started and
ran well but engineer thought variator was noisy, therefore stripped down
and new variator fitted.

Picked up car today, washed and vacuumed. I think they put a 2L back because
from 3000 revs the power just keeps on coming. Couldn't resist it on the way
home, BMW in front who didn't know the road.

According to garage a foreign object went through the cambelt cover and
damaged the belt.

How possible, How plausible??????

All fixed under warranty.

--
Paul.Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to Reply

---

Old November 6th 04, 10:02 AM
Alfistagj

"Paul Woodsford" <paul.woodsford@***NOSPAM***virgin.***NOSPAM***net > schreef
in bericht ...

> According to garage a foreign object went through the cambelt cover and
> damaged the belt.
>
> How possible, How plausible??????

Everything is plausable, everything is possible.
However, normally they would refuse a guarantee for something coming from
outside.
Either they know the cambelt cover isn't designed correctly to avoid such an
object coming in or there is a hidden and known to them fault.
The first can reoccur after guarantee, so at your costs!!!
The second should have been taken care off now.
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

Old November 6th 04, 11:31 AM
Paul Woodsford

My thoughts exactly Ciao.
Apparently Mercedes have fibre cam belts that are designed to split in 1/2
longitudinally to minimise damage if the belt should start breaking
transversely. The Alfa engineer hadn't heard of this, and they were very
cagey when I asked how something could smash through the cambelt cover. On
examination I still seem to have the same cover on the engine( stickers the
same etc: 1 sticker missing corner, and no obvious damage on bottom of
cover.
I think, as they found no evidence of foreign body it must have been a
faulty belt,pulley , tensioner or even variator.

--
Paul.Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to Reply
"Alfistagj" > wrote in message
:
: "Paul Woodsford" <paul.woodsford@***NOSPAM***virgin.***NOSPAM***net >
schreef
: in bericht ...
: >
: > According to garage a foreign object went through the cambelt cover and
: > damaged the belt.
: >
: > How possible, How plausible??????
: >
:
: Everything is plausable, everything is possible.
: However, normally they would refuse a guarantee for something coming from
: outside.
: Either they know the cambelt cover isn't designed correctly to avoid such
an
: object coming in or there is a hidden and known to them fault.
: The first can reoccur after guarantee, so at your costs!!!
: The second should have been taken care off now.
: --

Old November 6th 04, 07:07 PM
Tom

"...5 teeth scrubbed off other 1/2 of belt"
"...but 2 valves not freely moving compared with others...."

Could it be that the sticky valves caused the teeth to be stripped off,
prior to the belt finally snapping ??
Just a thought.

"Paul Woodsford" <paul.woodsford@***NOSPAM***virgin.***NOSPAM***net > wrote
in message ...