chip for 2005 300C Hemi?

Old November 21st 04, 06:40 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>

> > No, actually your not better off.
> >
> > If you google all you get is the chip manufacturers sales literature

which
> > "proves" that if you drop $500 into their chip that your car will run

like
> > greased lighting with a 50% improvement, sip gas like it's the last

tankful
> > it will ever see, and quadruple the longtivity of your vehicle so that

your
> > grandchildren will still be driving it.
> >
> > If you ask here on Usenet where you will find people who DON'T have
> > a vested interest in these chips, you will get the truth which is they

do
> > absolutely nothing that can be measured on a dyno, in return for

emptying
> > your wallet.
> >
> > The only time chipping a car does anything is if you have a turbocharger
> > and the chip you put in allows you to increase boost past the computer's
> > preprogrammed limit. Of course your turbo won't last longer than a
> > $5 whore on the docks when the ships come in, but if you know how to
> > increase boost in a turbo you probably know this too.

> I think you've sent a new record for the amount of missinformation in
> one post. The performance chips can make some improvement in normally
> aspirated vehicles, especially those with auto trannies.

No they cannot, unless you buy performance chips that are 'off-road-only'
ie: illegal to run on the street. And those will burn out your catalyatic
converter. And even then, if you don't do the other things needed - like
camming it, adding headers, etc. - you won't get the most out of an
off-road chip.

> They can
> modify spark timing, fuel maps and shift points and this can all
> increase performance, but at the expense of something else, typically
> fuel economy.

You cannot do any of that without making emissions exceed the legal
limits, unless the modifications are so slight - just a few percent - that
the rise in emissions is within the tolerance range, which on new vehicles
is not that great. And there's too many other variables - such as the
temperature that day, engine wear, etc. - which are going to matter more
than a legal perf chip.

> And increasing the boost in a turbocharged engine isn't much harder on
> the turbo, it is the engine internals that take most of the grief.

Wrong again there. Most turbo engines use forged pistons and the
like and can readily take the higher power. As long as your not an
idiot and upgrade your fuel system so the engine doesen't go lean at
the higher boost, the engine isn't the problem.

The turbo is the problem because higher boost means higher turbo speed,
which means operating the turbo above it's maximum speed, ie: overspinning.
Sure, you can avoid a lot of trouble by using synthetic fuel, but the
turbo still takes a beating.

But that is generally not a problem for folks that increase boost and who
know what they are doing, since they generally are planning on getting
a bigger turbo anyway, they may as well burn out the stocker.

These perf chip arguments have come up on this forum again and again.
Every time they do, the chip proponents are challenged to take dyno
results proving their street legal chipped cars are better with the chip
than
without, that is when they slink off and we never hear from them again.

Ted

Old November 22nd 04, 04:15 AM
Rick Blaine

"Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in message

> [...]

> the higher boost, the engine isn't the problem.
>
> The turbo is the problem because higher boost means higher turbo speed,
> which means operating the turbo above it's maximum speed, ie:

overspinning.
> Sure, you can avoid a lot of trouble by using synthetic fuel, but the
> turbo still takes a beating.
>
> But that is generally not a problem for folks that increase boost and who
> know what they are doing, since they generally are planning on getting
> a bigger turbo anyway, they may as well burn out the stocker.
>
> These perf chip arguments have come up on this forum again and again.
> Every time they do, the chip proponents are challenged to take dyno
> results proving their street legal chipped cars are better with the chip
> than
> without, that is when they slink off and we never hear from them again.

Thanks for your opinions. What evidence do you have that these chips do not
work? Have you any dyno results? Personal experience? Or is it just
arm-chair bull****?

Old November 22nd 04, 04:15 AM
Rick Blaine

Old November 22nd 04, 07:40 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Rick Blaine" > wrote in message

> Thanks for your opinions.

Thanks for your opinions as well.

> What evidence do you have that these chips do not
> work?

Nobody that has bought them has reported measurable increases in power
for street-legal vehicles.

Every time that someone has posted about chips claiming that they really
sped up their vehicle, there has been a lot of attention, as you may well
imagine. Everyone after all wants to believe that there's a magic bullet
that only costs a few hundred bucks that will make a Yugo smoke it's
tires. During the subsequent Q&A with the original poster it is discovered
that the poster is either lying, (because they cannot answer specific
questions from others who have the same vehicle, or they won't say
where they got it tested), or the poster is relying on seat-of-the-pants
and hasn't measured it on a dyno, or the poster is a racer and has
chipped the vehicle with a chip that makes the vehicle illegal to drive it
on the street. (usually right after that the OP claims to not live in an
area that does emissions testing)

So, yes, I'll give you this much: if you live in the boondocks and don't
care
if your emissions aren't legal, and are willing to risk sooting up your
catcon
with a rich mixture, then sure, go ahead and put an off-road chip in the
vehicle. You will get a performance improvement - because one of the
fundamental tradeoffs in internal combustion engine design is that a
normally
aspirated engine produces more power if run rich. ie: the ideal fuel/air
mix for maximum power is richer than the ideal fuel/air mix for minimum
emissions. Unfortunately, this mix is not friendly to catcons.

Ted

Old November 22nd 04, 07:40 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

The HEMI Luke Smith 4x4 14 January 3rd 05 04:31 AM
HEMI's HOT Luke Smith Driving 208 December 19th 04 05:27 PM
300C Production in Europe----kind of long [email protected] Chrysler 0 October 31st 04 06:00 PM