Honda Jazz UK CVT holding on hills

Old June 6th 05, 03:18 PM

Default Honda Jazz UK CVT holding on hills

Hi

We just bought a Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT in the UK and love it, except for
one thing. We live on a hill, and it doesn't hold its position when
you're in gear, stationary, and take your foot off the brake. This
makes manoeuvring in and out of tight parking spots a rather exciting
attempt to release the handbrake when the car is revved enough to hold
its position. That doesn't sound at all right to me.

The sales guy said this was easy to fix, it was a software parameter.
This seems reasonable, as the 7-speed manual mode must also be simply
software settings since continuous variable transmission has no gears
(I think).

However, the garage guys (same dealership) are looking blank and have
adjusted the handbrake. Tbh, he seemed a bit daft when we spoke to him
the first time.

So.

1) Do we think that a Honda Jazz CVT that's stationary, on a hill,
should hold its position if we release the brake?

2) If we do, is the cure a software adjustment or a physical thing?

3) If we don't, am I missing some technique .. should I be using the
foot brake or something?

Old June 7th 05, 01:48 AM
Gordon McGrew

On 6 Jun 2005 13:43:44 -0700, "Bucky" > wrote:

>What was your previous car? And how does it compare on the hill? In
>general, all the cars I've driven slide back on a steep hill when you
>transition from brake to gas pedal. Except for a Subura that had a
>hill-holder feature. I'm not exactly sure how it worked, but I'm
>guessing that when it detected that you were on an inclince, it would
>hold the brake for an extra half second after you let go of the brake.
>It definitely was not the transmission because my car was a manual.

I remember when Subaru was pitching this feature. I can't recall
exactly how the brake was set, but it was held by vacuum until the
engine was reved up causing the vacuum to drop and the brake to be
released. My thought at the time: rinky dink feature intended to
relieve you of the need to learn how to operate your car.

Same with the CVT question. Of course it will roll back if the hill
is steep enough. You have two feet, it has two pedals. How hard can
it be? Why burn up the transmission trying to get it to "hold" on the
hill. Hold the brake on and rev it up a little. When it feels like
the engine is starting to labor, ease off the brake. With a little
practice you should be able to do it in your sleep.

Old June 7th 05, 06:09 PM
Bucky

TeGGeR=AE wrote:
> Subaru just resurrected Studebaker's old "Hill-Holder" idea. It wasn't too
> successful the second time around, either.

What do you mean by "wasn't too successful"? In terms of marketing it,
or functionality?

Personally, I liked it. I can handle the clutch/gas/handbrake
coordination, but the hill-holder just made things more convenient. I
wouldn't pay extra for the feature, but it was cool to have.

Old June 8th 05, 10:15 AM

>> We just bought a Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT in the UK and love it, except for
>> one thing. We live on a hill, and it doesn't hold its position when
>> you're in gear, stationary, and take your foot off the brake.

>What was your previous car? And how does it compare on the hill? In
>general, all the cars I've driven slide back on a steep hill when you
>transition from brake to gas pedal.

Previously a Neon, prior to that an old Jag

The dealer has confirmed the same behaviour in another Jazz CVT and
reckons it's something we'll get used to. He also spoke to a regular
customer who always drives CVTs and he said he also gets the rollback
"problem" when pulling out of his street.

I hear the points about two feet, two pedals, but it's counterintuitive
... automatic drivers don't expect to have to use their left foot, but
we'll give it a try.

I think the problem is mostly when we are close parked on a hill.
Because you can't sense a bite point like you do in a manual, there's a
good chance of either rolling back into the car behind, or accelerating
forward into the car in front.

The moral of the story is, I think, that a CVT is not an automatic, it
does behave differently.

Otherwise, the car's great. Thanks for all your inputs.

Old June 9th 05, 05:07 AM
jim beam

> Hi
>
> We just bought a Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT in the UK and love it, except for
> one thing. We live on a hill, and it doesn't hold its position when
> you're in gear, stationary, and take your foot off the brake. This
> makes manoeuvring in and out of tight parking spots a rather exciting
> attempt to release the handbrake when the car is revved enough to hold
> its position. That doesn't sound at all right to me.
>
> The sales guy said this was easy to fix, it was a software parameter.
> This seems reasonable, as the 7-speed manual mode must also be simply
> software settings since continuous variable transmission has no gears
> (I think).
>
> However, the garage guys (same dealership) are looking blank and have
> adjusted the handbrake. Tbh, he seemed a bit daft when we spoke to him
> the first time.
>
> So.
>
> 1) Do we think that a Honda Jazz CVT that's stationary, on a hill,
> should hold its position if we release the brake?

does it have a torque converter or a mechanical clutch? if the latter,
having it slip to hold the vehicle on the hill is a /bad/ [expensive] idea.

> 2) If we do, is the cure a software adjustment or a physical thing?
>
> 3) If we don't, am I missing some technique .. should I be using the
> foot brake or something?

yes, left foot holding brake is what we get taught here in the u.s.
that's why there's a big wide brake pedal on automatics - otherwise a
normal pedal size would suffice.

Old June 14th 05, 05:01 PM

Thanks, good info