Whisper Diatomagic filter

Old January 17th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

Default Whisper Diatomagic filter

hello all. I have a Whisper Diatomagic filter and instead of using the
packaged filter powder I am using bulk media (much cheaper) My
question is how much to use? I have ben using two heaping tablespoons
full with good success.
Thanks
Dick
Old January 17th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

In article ,
Dick Sharp wrote:
hello all. I have a Whisper Diatomagic filter and instead of using the
packaged filter powder I am using bulk media (much cheaper) My
question is how much to use? I have ben using two heaping tablespoons
full with good success.

I use swimming pool diatom powder too and have for yeras, uh, decades. Works
fine. Can't beat the price.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old January 17th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
In article ,
Dick Sharp wrote:
hello all. I have a Whisper Diatomagic filter and instead of using the
packaged filter powder I am using bulk media (much cheaper) My
question is how much to use? I have ben using two heaping tablespoons
full with good success.

I use swimming pool diatom powder too and have for yeras, uh, decades.
Works
fine. Can't beat the price.

============================
You can also use the gravel and rock from Home Depot or Lowe's in tanks.
It's a fraction of the rip-off prices the pet/aquarium stores charge. They
have a beautiful small brown pea gravel I love and it's only around $2.99
for a 50lb sack. I love the "river rocks" and "egg rocks" they also sell.
Mixed with the gravel it gives the tanks a very natural look. Check them
out the next time you're at one of these stores.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old January 18th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

Dick Sharp wrote:
[...]

But not for a filter ;~)
--
www.NetMax.tk

Old January 18th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

"NetMax" wrote in message
. ..

Dick Sharp wrote:
[...]

==========================
For the filter you buy their lavarock for a fraction of the price the
Aquarium stores charge. ;-) I use it in my Aquaclears on top of the
sponges. Wonderful stuff to "seed" new tanks with.

Old January 18th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc

"Koi-lo" wrote in message

"NetMax" wrote in message
. ..

Dick Sharp wrote:
[...]

The diatomaceous earth packets being replaced by diatom powder (ie: from
pool supplier, good idea) is a water polisher, and not comparable in
function to lavarock, pea gravel or river rocks. .. unless I'm
misunderstanding the post you are discussing something quite different,
and I'm sure you know what diatom powder is used for.
cheers
--
www.NetMax.tk

Old May 24th 11, 07:44 PM
craiggwillson craiggwillson is offline
Junior Member

You can as well use the alluvium and bedrock from Home Depot or Lowe's in tanks. It's a atom of the cheat prices the pet/aquarium food charge. They have a admirable baby amber pea alluvium I adulation and it's alone about $2.99 for a 50lb sack. I adulation the "river rocks" and "egg rocks" they as well sell.
Old April 18th 11, 01:26 AM
Cyndi B Cyndi B is offline
Junior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Sharp View Post
hello all. I have a Whisper Diatomagic filter and instead of using the
packaged filter powder I am using bulk media (much cheaper) My
question is how much to use? I have ben using two heaping tablespoons
full with good success.
Thanks
Dick
I have used my filter for years and I use about 1/4 cup which is about 2 heaping tablespoons. I keep a 1/4 cup right with my powder so I never loose it. Keep up with your great fish keeping.

How to handle Off Topic Posts (i.e., Making a Killfile) BryanB General 0 May 22nd 05 10:08 PM
Rec.ponds FAQ Snooze General 0 May 17th 05 03:05 AM
Rec.ponds FAQ Snooze General 7 April 11th 05 07:04 AM
Filter advice Cheryl General 19 July 10th 04 04:01 AM
Comparing 10-yr old Whisper J with AquaClear 150 Computer Prog General 4 March 1st 04 06:22 PM