oil temp.

Old August 18th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
187

Default oil temp.

i am using a meat thermometer in the dipstick hole to check oil temp.
the probe doesn't quite touch the oil when running though.
am i getting an accurate reading like this, or could i be getting a higher
reading due to the air in the case being hotter than the oil?
thanks in advance for any replies

Old August 18th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan[_1_]

187 wrote:
> i am using a meat thermometer in the dipstick hole to check oil temp.
> the probe doesn't quite touch the oil when running though.
> am i getting an accurate reading like this, or could i be getting a higher
> reading due to the air in the case being hotter than the oil?
> thanks in advance for any replies

You are NOT getting an accurate reading.

is it one of those L-shaped stainless steel probes with a braided wire,
the bend at the wire end of the probe preventing you from shoving it in
deeper? That's the kind I use, I just bent it back straighter and it
reached the oil fine. Might work for you too. bend SLOW to avoid
breaking it. I bent mine slightly warm but still with bare hands.

Jan

--
--------------------------------
Beer is made by fermentation caused by bacteria feeding on yeast cells
Old August 18th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
187

it is actually straight.
you know the ones with a round dial, and a straight steel probe coming off
the back?
i figured i was getting an inaccurate reading, but i dont know if my
reading is higher, or lower than what the oil temp actually is.
thanks again for any help
matt

Old August 18th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
j[_1_]

187 wrote:
> i am using a meat thermometer in the dipstick hole to check oil temp.

Hey. Yer screwed. Now don't take that as a Bad Thing. I used a Gene Berg
thermo to bake my Thanksgiving turkey. It dried up and about blew away.

Cross-purposes and all that.

Old August 18th 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan[_1_]

187 wrote:
> it is actually straight.
> you know the ones with a round dial, and a straight steel probe coming off
> the back?
> i figured i was getting an inaccurate reading, but i dont know if my
> reading is higher, or lower than what the oil temp actually is.
> thanks again for any help
> matt

Oh those, yes I know.

You can buy one that has a battery powered digital display, and you can
set an alarm for any temperature you choose.. no need to keep an eye on
the reading. Heck, hide the whole thing under the front seat. The wire
is fairly short out of the box, but you can easily make an extension
long enough to reach the dashboard, the reading isn't affected. Mine
uses a std. small mono audio jack.

I meant to start selling these, but sort of lost interest to market them.

http://www.geocities.com/janbugger/thermometer.html

Jan

--
--------------------------------
Old August 18th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mike64Bug

The type of digital thermometer that Jan mentioned works quite well.
Unfortunately, the probes have a reputation for going bad, frequently. I
bought
a Pyrex brand digital thermometer at WalMart and after two uses it died.
Another
popular brand is Taylor. I bought one of those and the probe from it works
on the
Pyrex meter. You can buy replacement probes for the Taylor brand at
chefdepot.com
for $8.99 plus s&h. I suspect that this probe will work on any of the
digital
thermometers of this type that advertise a working temperature range of
32-392F.
--
>>>Mike

1964 Sunroof Beetle
1955 Semaphore Beetle

Old August 18th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
187

i got a berg ordered today, but im curious to know how far off the reading
i am getting right now could be.
i was having a bad heating problem, but i replaced my engine compartment
seals, and it lowered my temp from 255 to 230, or so my thermometer says.
i know that if the temp sending unit on a watercooled is in air, and not
water, it would read hotter.
im hoping this is the case with thermometer im using right now.
i do know that before i changed the compartment seals i could barely tough
the engine lid after running, but now i can.
any help is appreciated
matt

Old August 18th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan[_1_]

Mike64Bug wrote:
> The type of digital thermometer that Jan mentioned works quite well.
> Unfortunately, the probes have a reputation for going bad, frequently. I
> bought
> a Pyrex brand digital thermometer at WalMart and after two uses it died.
> Another
> popular brand is Taylor. I bought one of those and the probe from it works
> on the
> Pyrex meter. You can buy replacement probes for the Taylor brand at
> chefdepot.com
> for $8.99 plus s&h. I suspect that this probe will work on any of the
> digital
> thermometers of this type that advertise a working temperature range of
> 32-392F.

I saw the Pyrex one too recently, and thought about giving it a try.
Thanks for the heads up. (I'll pass)

I can still get the finnish ones, mine is probably close to 4-5 yearsold
and still good. It has been in daily use roughly 6 months of the year.
I don't know if I could get the probe replacements separately.

jan

--
--------------------------------
Old August 18th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Jan wrote:
<SNIP>
> You can buy one that has a battery powered digital display, and you can
> set an alarm for any temperature you choose.. no need to keep an eye on
> the reading. Heck, hide the whole thing under the front seat. The wire
> is fairly short out of the box, but you can easily make an extension
> long enough to reach the dashboard, the reading isn't affected. Mine
> uses a std. small mono audio jack.

Wire ??

Ewwwww How 80's LMAO

Here's a Taylor *wireless* that will even page you!
http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Wireles.../dp/B00012FQM4

(Just teasin' Jan; don't take offence.)

Jim
Old August 18th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan[_1_]

Speedy Jim wrote:
> Jan wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
>> You can buy one that has a battery powered digital display, and you
>> can set an alarm for any temperature you choose.. no need to keep an
>> eye on the reading. Heck, hide the whole thing under the front seat.
>> The wire is fairly short out of the box, but you can easily make an
>> extension long enough to reach the dashboard, the reading isn't
>> affected. Mine uses a std. small mono audio jack.

> Wire ??
>
> Ewwwww How 80's LMAO
>
> Here's a Taylor *wireless* that will even page you!
> http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Wireles.../dp/B00012FQM4
>
> (Just teasin' Jan; don't take offence.)
>
> Jim

hahaha