MileMarker PE8000

Old January 14th 05, 05:38 AM

Mike Romain wrote:
> Bill, for the new warn 9500 winch, the specs are 160 amps for a 2000

lb
> pull.
>
> That would be like pulling my CJ7 straight up a cliff.

a 2000 pound pull wouldnt even come close to pulling a cj when its
buried to the rockers in mud. stuck bad enough, a 5000 pound pull
wouldnt do the job. i buried my sahara to the floorboards and my 9500
pound ramsey wouldnt budge it (the fault of the nutless stock battery,
not the winch). my brother hooked his v10 f250 to my sahara and
snapped a 10,000 pound clevis trying to pull me. we ended up wiring
his truck battery parallel with my jeep battery an winching it out with
a snatch block.

Old January 14th 05, 05:49 AM
Joe

Anyone care to comment on the report, not sure if this was sponsored by
Milemarker, seems like a independent report but it sure slams Warn electric
winches. it states that a Warn 9000 fried when pulling a test load of 6000
lbs and the cable broke around that same weight.

http://www.winchtest.com/

-Joe

oups.com...

Old January 14th 05, 06:38 AM
Jerry Bransford

That so-called "independent report" produced a scandal when it was
uncovered that the president of Milemarker had personally initiated and
paid for it. It was certainly no blind study with controls. It was
originally touted by Milemarker as an independent report produced
without their knowledge. The president later owned up to having paid to
have it done. Really, not a rumor. What kills me is they're still
sending that video out free to anyone who asks for it.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old January 14th 05, 06:49 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Did I just fall hook, line, and sinker for a troll?
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 14th 05, 07:03 AM

Jerry Bransford wrote:
> Don't know how to do the math eh? If you would do the math

bah.....even if i didnt i could easily look it up. youre attempting to
prove that an electric winch is fine for low load/less than full rated
pulls. this is pointless since ive already conceeded that point....an
electric winch is fine for "typical usage" and ive never suggested
otherwise. it appears youre trying to throw a red-herring to take away
from the only point ive made. for heavy duty usage an electric winch
isnt comparable to a hydraulic. i dont care how many batteries you
want to run, an electric winch still requires extensive cool down on
long or repetitive pulls. electric motors simply cannot run full
capacity for any real duration.

bottom line, if you just want something to pull yourself out of most
any situation by all means get a quality electric winch as it will
serve you great. if you want something that will stand up to
_anything_ you throw at it....when you want to be the "lead dog" at the
top of the hill winching one jeep after another up to the top, you need
a hydraulic.

Old January 14th 05, 07:08 AM

Jerry Bransford wrote:
> That so-called "independent report" produced a scandal when it was
> uncovered that the president of Milemarker had personally initiated

and
> paid for it. It was certainly no blind study with controls.

i certainly agree that anything funded by a vested party isnt
impartial....but i do find it interesting that you didnt challenge any
of the results in your response.

do you know anything about the company that ran the comparison? do you
know anything at all about their reputation in the engineering
community?

.....jeep also pays a third party to "trail rate" their products. i
also question that test because it isnt impartial, but i agree with
their results....todays jeeps are certainly trail capable.

Old January 14th 05, 02:26 PM
Mike Romain

And that has to do with being stalled in a water crossing how?

My 'starter' can 'winch' me out of a water crossing stall.

My Optima battery can let the smoke out of the cables and bend the hook
open at full pull. That still has zip to do with being able to pull
myself across water with no engine running.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 14th 05, 09:19 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Maybe, you'd like to make a graph for us, of what your winch cables
are capable of transferring in amps, and at what temperatures?
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/