brake pads

Old January 28th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default brake pads

Lanny Chambers > wrote:

>In article >,
> "Mal Osborne" > wrote:
>
>> Unless your brake pads have been granted some sort of exemption from the
>> laws of physics, this can not be true. Brakes dissipate kinetic energy, as
>> heat. This is dependant on mass & speed. A given stopping scenario has to
>> generate the same amount of heat, regardles of brake material.

>But he said he changed the pads so he could brake more aggressively. So
>it's not "a given stopping scenario," but one that generates more heat
>than before.

Right. But I think Mal was referring to the statement "they [the EBC pads}
generate more heat." That seems not likely; it is the change in usage that
generates the heat. I would think they would surely generate *about* the
same amount of heat under equal usage whatever material is used. There
could be differences due to various reasons, however, so if there is a
*significant* cause of difference, let's have it.

>The OEM pads are fine for most street driving, but on the track they
>require management to prevent fade from overheating. Heat-resistant pads
>permit heavier use of the brakes over a longer period of time--it's not
>a matter of not generating more heat, but of tolerating it without fade.

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old February 3rd 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

nobody > wrote in
:

> P.S. do cross drilled rotors do anything besides
> make a miata look more like a porshe?

The theory is that drilled rotors will "clean" the brake pads, removing
sand, grit, small stones, etc. and prevent the rotors from becoming
scored by grit.

It works very successfully on motorcycles.

Old February 3rd 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
nobody > wrote:

> stock is ok but if I do the work I like to
> go beter

For the street, Mazda OEM pads are the best compromise of longevity,
noise, fade, dust, and rotor wear.

>P.S. do cross drilled rotors do anythind besids make
> amiata look more like a porsha

Nope. Plus, cheap ones are prone to cracking. Even Porsche only uses
them because they look cool. Same for slotted rotors. If you want to
improve your brakes, flushing the entire system at least once a year is
worth doing. So is regular maintenance of the slider pins.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old February 4th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

:

>> P.S. do cross drilled rotors do anything besides
>> make a miata look more like a porshe?

>The theory is that drilled rotors will "clean" the brake pads, removing
>sand, grit, small stones, etc. and prevent the rotors from becoming
>scored by grit.
>
>It works very successfully on motorcycles.

The real non-cosmetic reason for drilled discs on motorcycles is to
prevent "wet fade", where the pucks hydroplane on the wet disc until
they finally scrape off the water and begin to grab. This does not
take very long, but you have no idea how long a couple of seconds can
feel until you grab a handful of front brake and *nothing* happens.

Some models of Miatas with certain wheels are supposed to have this
problem. I have never experienced it with my '99 with stock 15 inch
wheels.
Old February 4th 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

to correct someones thoughts on "in theory"

A miata does not need drilled or slotted rotors, but the holes are for
cooling, and the slots will actually shave off brake pad material so that
the pads never get a glazed surface. Very heavy, and/or very fast sports
cars will benefit from them, and slotted rotors really are designed for use
with certain pad materials.

"Natman" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 14:31:25 -0700, XS11E >
> wrote:
>
>>nobody > wrote in
m:

Old February 4th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Kevin Anderson" > wrote in
:

> to correct someones thoughts on "in theory"

No correction needed, the reason I gave was the correct one. Cross
drilled rotors contribute less to cooling than to preventing scoring
from grit caught in the pads. The difference on motorcycles is very
apparent.

Old February 5th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

:

>> to correct someones thoughts on "in theory"

>No correction needed, the reason I gave was the correct one. Cross
>drilled rotors contribute less to cooling than to preventing scoring
>from grit caught in the pads. The difference on motorcycles is very
>apparent.

I do not seem to have any authoritative stuff on rotors myself, but
it might be interesting to see what Tirerack says.

Like Lanny says, OEM replacement slotted and drilled rotors seem to be
mostly for appearance: "While grooved, drilled and slotted rotors offer an
enhanced appearance and add some resistance to the boundary layer of gasses
that can build up between the pad and rotor, ..."
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/...currentpage=86
Which does not mean that I do not take your word for it that they
can be effective in scraping off dirt and water.

Other interesting links:
http://www.clubcobra.com/showthread.php?t=48099&page=2
http://www.baer.com/Support/FAQ.aspx#1
http://www.wilwood.com/Centers/Infor..._answer/07.asp
just to correct someone's thoughts that drilling is done for cooling.

Old February 7th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

99-00 with 15" wheels. Has to do with pad pressure on rotors with brakes not
engaged.
Evidently, a tolerance buildup can cause the problem. Might also be due to
combinational things, like sticky caliper rods and rotor surface smoothness.

I had the problem with stock pads. A pad replacment with non stock pads made
the problem go away. Finally, the shields were replaced with the "improved"
version, and I went back to stock pads. The nonstock Hawk pads wore rapidly,
and made a mess of the front wheels every few days. The Hawk pads did seem
to have slightly less fade than stock, although the brake pedal force needed
was slightly higher hot or cold..