Fish Deaths

Old January 17th 05, 11:54 AM
Fuzzy

Geezer From The wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:

Imo, (I looked to find back up information but couldn't find anything
diffinitive) a ph of 6.0 is just to low for mollys. heres a list of
common fish an ph levels .Angelfish 6.5 - 7.0 Clown Loach
6. - 6.5 Goldfish 7.0 - 7.5 Harlequin 6.0 - 6.5 Hachetfish 6.0 - 7.0
Neon Tetra
5.8 - 6.2 Plecostomus 5.0 - 7.0 Silver Dollar 6.0 - 7.0 Tiger
Barb 6.0 -
6.5 Zebra Danio 6.5 - 7.0 I am not sure how low the PH is in your
LFS's water, but even still when you put your fish in from your Q
tank, which was 6.6, to a 6.0. I think that change was to much, alas
the belly up molly's. Fish can live in considerably wide ranges of
ph, but drastic changes even within tollerable ranges can still be
fatal. The fatality seems greater on a ph drop, as apposed to a rise
as well.

Fuzzy,
Actually goldfish do fine with PH's from 7-8.4 - as long as it remains
stable and doesn't drop quickly.

I agree, the ranges quoted are obviously not an absolute. However, fish
tend to tollerate the higher range of ph better. In the chart I quoted
from. Also sub species of fish ph ranges change as well. It was just put
out there as a general guide for the possible reason the Mollies died. I
feel the most likly reason was the drastic change in ph, which as I
pointed out, affects fish more, on a drop, than on an increase.