New Mobil-1 product?

Old January 3rd 05, 07:25 PM
Neon

Default New Mobil-1 product?

I was at Wal-Mart the other day buying a 5-quart jug of Mobil-1 5W-30 when I
noticed that they now had two different 5W-30 products in stock - one had
the normal blue cap, and other other had a grey cap. The product
description on the back of both containers was different - not sure if it
was just a packaging change, or a change in the product itself.
I checked the Mobil-1 website, but they didn't show anything about a change
in the forumulation. I remember over the past few years there has been
several formulation changes such as the move to tri-synthetic and more
recently SuperSyn. So, anyone know what changes were made this time?
Thanks.

Old January 3rd 05, 08:05 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Neon wrote:

> I was at Wal-Mart the other day buying a 5-quart jug of Mobil-1 5W-30 when I
> noticed that they now had two different 5W-30 products in stock - one had
> the normal blue cap, and other other had a grey cap. The product
> description on the back of both containers was different - not sure if it
> was just a packaging change, or a change in the product itself.

Around here, Mobil-1 bottles work like this:

Dark grey cap: 0w-20
Light silver/grey cap (same color as bottle): 0w-30
Blue cap: 5w-30
Green cap: 10w-30
Red cap: 15w-50

Old January 3rd 05, 08:06 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Whoops, left out:

Black cap: 0w-40

Old January 3rd 05, 08:23 PM
Nate Nagel

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> Whoops, left out:
>
> Black cap: 0w-40

Where can you find that? I'm currently running 15W50, I think that may
be a bit much for the winter, but also think that an xW30 might thin out
too much on a hot freeway run. (old Porsche 944)

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old January 3rd 05, 08:44 PM
Daniel J. Stern

http://www.mobil1.com/products/trisynth/oil_0w40.jsp

> I'm currently running 15W50, I think that may be a bit much for the
> winter

I just swapped 15w-50 for 5w-30 in my truck...which caused the weather to
break and above-freezing temperatures to return.

Old January 3rd 05, 10:08 PM
Nate Nagel

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Nate Nagel wrote:
>

>>>Black cap: 0w-40

>>Where can you find that?

> http://www.mobil1.com/products/trisynth/oil_0w40.jsp

I believe you that they make it, I guess I'm asking have you seen it in
any stores, and if so, which ones? (hopefully a chain that I have near me)

>>I'm currently running 15W50, I think that may be a bit much for the
>>winter

> I just swapped 15w-50 for 5w-30 in my truck...which caused the weather to
> break and above-freezing temperatures to return.

Yeah, today, changing the oil is not necessary.

Just got inside from washing the car (looks great with freshly
refinished wheels,) trying to decide if I care enough to colorsand the
hood and roof (Earl Scheib paint and baked-on squirrel crap do not a
pretty combination make...)

nate

Old January 4th 05, 09:12 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article >,
Nate Nagel > wrote:
>Daniel J. Stern wrote:
>> Whoops, left out:
>>
>> Black cap: 0w-40

>Where can you find that?

That and the yellow cap 5W-40 I've seen at Kragen and Wal Mart.

Timothy J. Lee
Old January 5th 05, 04:53 PM

Yellow cap is actually Delvac 1 rebranded as M1 SUV. Some say it's
Mobil's best ever.

Alfa 75: Download: PDF-File of Product Bulletin Alfa Hauser Christoph Alfa Romeo 0 October 25th 04 08:34 PM
Does this product do what it claims? Randall Post VW air cooled 18 October 22nd 04 07:45 PM
Mobil Drive Clean Oil 5W-20 Accord 04 [email protected] Honda 2 September 24th 04 05:56 AM
Mobil 1 engine oil Tspark Alfa Romeo 2 July 26th 04 08:32 AM
Mobil 1 0W-20? Chris Szilagyi General 2 July 20th 04 08:49 PM