A Fishkeeping forum. FishKeepingBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » FishKeepingBanter.com forum » rec.aquaria.freshwater » Cichlids
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

new tank



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old January 29th 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids
dave349
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22
Default new tank

currently i'm thinking of a set up of liek this

- 2 or 3 convicts
- a jack dempsey and/or an oscar
-and maybe a texas cichlid or a couple bala sharks or red tail shark.

On Jan 28, 7:21 pm, "dave349" wrote:
all those fish you've just mentioned are pretty much what i've been
looking into, except for the eel, my mom has a no "no eel" rule, they
creep her out lol.

On Jan 28, 6:53 pm, (Edward) wrote:

With good conditions convicts will breed about every couple of months.
Some other fish I used to have in my big tank were Convicts, Texas
Chiclids, Jack Dempseys, Large Black Sharks, Firemouths,Jewel Chiclids,
Clown Knife Fish, and a large Leopard Eel. My catfish of choice was a
Marble Shovelnose.


text_html_part
1KDownload


  #12  
Old January 29th 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids
Edward
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 19
Default new tank

Everything there is good except the bala sharks and redtail, bala sharks
are non aggressive, and red tails won't be big enough


  #13  
Old January 29th 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids
dave349
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22
Default new tank

oh ok then, so a

3 convict
1 JD or 1 oscar
1 texas
and some other larger cichlid

would be a good set up?

On Jan 29, 9:30 am, (Edward) wrote:
Everything there is good except the bala sharks and redtail, bala sharks
are non aggressive, and red tails won't be big enough

text_html_part
1KDownload


  #14  
Old January 29th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids
Edward
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 19
Default new tank

Depending on the size your gonna set up, I'd start with 2 convicts(the
3rd will cause problems) 2 Oscars, do like one albino and one red tiger,
2 JD's, and 2 texas. Of coarse you'll need a scavenger of some
type,(Pleco, Channel Cat). Try to get pairs on the cichlids, they'll be
happier that way.


  #15  
Old January 30th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids
dave349
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22
Default new tank

well i was thinking about pairs, but the problem i thought would be is
if i got 2 male, wouldn't they always be constantly fighting? if i got
2 females it woudl probably be ok and if i got a male and female
that'd be fine.

On Jan 29, 4:37 pm, (Edward) wrote:
Depending on the size your gonna set up, I'd start with 2 convicts(the
3rd will cause problems) 2 Oscars, do like one albino and one red tiger,
2 JD's, and 2 texas. Of coarse you'll need a scavenger of some
type,(Pleco, Channel Cat). Try to get pairs on the cichlids, they'll be
happier that way.

text_html_part
1KDownload


  #16  
Old January 31st 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids
Edward
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 19
Default new tank

The only ones you won't be able to sex are the oscars, all the others
can be sexed by the length of there dorsal fins, and two male oscars
will be ok together


  #17  
Old January 31st 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids
dave349
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22
Default new tank

On Jan 29, 7:11 pm, "dave349" wrote:
well i was thinking about pairs, but the problem i thought would be is
if i got 2 male, wouldn't they always be constantly fighting? if i got
2 females it woudl probably be ok and if i got a male and female
that'd be fine.

On Jan 29, 4:37 pm, (Edward) wrote:



Depending on the size your gonna set up, I'd start with 2 convicts(the
3rd will cause problems) 2 Oscars, do like one albino and one red tiger,
2 JD's, and 2 texas. Of coarse you'll need a scavenger of some
type,(Pleco, Channel Cat). Try to get pairs on the cichlids, they'll be
happier that way.


text_html_part
1KDownload- Hide quoted text -


- Show quoted text -


just i heard there's no real way to tell males and females apart when
they're young.

  #18  
Old January 31st 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids
dave349
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22
Default new tank

oh ok thanks!

Edward wrote:
The only ones you won't be able to sex are the oscars, all the others
can be sexed by the length of there dorsal fins, and two male oscars
will be ok together





[img] Instant Messenger
[img]
Fishing From the Seawall


  #19  
Old July 1st 11, 12:52 AM
markenejackson markenejackson is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by FishkeepingBanter: Jul 2011
Posts: 4
Default

I acclimated to accept a 125 gallon alloyed south american chiclid tank. A lot of these angle can be mixed, but accomplish no aberration even a 55 gallon tank is not that big to these fish. I apprehend that you accept gouramies with your chiclids, unless there ample gouramies they will eventually be outgrown by your chiclids. Bala sharks are not an aggresive fish, they may be afraid by beyond fish.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A new tank without cycling Jim Morcombe General 53 January 5th 07 03:35 PM
Help me fill my Rio 125 :-) FishNoob General 3 December 3rd 05 10:05 AM
Hurt Betta and Goldfish , Help !!! Cassie General 37 November 22nd 05 07:53 PM
New to group and a dilemma Klane General 34 May 24th 05 11:52 PM
HELP massive fish die-off Bill K General 7 July 23rd 04 01:40 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 FishKeepingBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.