Volvo 1988 740 GLE Low gas mileage.

Old August 11th 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Sharshera

Default Volvo 1988 740 GLE Low gas mileage.

I have a 1988 Volvo 740 GLE Wagon. It runs very rich. It does something
like 18mpg or so in the city and around 23mpg or so on the highway.

I changed the O2 sensor, the spark plugs are relatively new, the gas
pressure regulator, the fuel filter. I have tried additives to clean
injector but all this just went in vein.

Does anyone have any clues as what to investigate? What might be the
problem?
I like the car very much and hope that I can drive more often but I
only try to take it in longer trips because of its bad fuel economy.

The car has 150Kmiles on it.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Old August 11th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

You are stumbling around changing parts with no real idea of what the
problem is. You still have the chance to save yourself some money.
Just take the car to a mechanic with the proper diagnostic equipment
and let them find the cause of the problem and fix it.

Old August 12th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike

"Sharshera" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a 1988 Volvo 740 GLE Wagon. It runs very rich. It does something
> like 18mpg or so in the city and around 23mpg or so on the highway.
>
> I changed the O2 sensor, the spark plugs are relatively new, the gas
> pressure regulator, the fuel filter. I have tried additives to clean
> injector but all this just went in vein.
>
> Does anyone have any clues as what to investigate? What might be the
> problem?
> I like the car very much and hope that I can drive more often but I
> only try to take it in longer trips because of its bad fuel economy.
>
> The car has 150Kmiles on it.
>

> Any help will be very much appreciated.

What engine and transmission do you have ? What kind of mileage are you
expecting ? You stated " It does something like 18mpg or so in the city
and around 23mpg or so on the highway." How did you arrive at these figures
? The only way to accurately figure fuel mileage is to divide miles
travelled by the amount of fuel used. You need to do this over several tanks
of gas to get an average.

Old August 13th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Sharshera

Mike wrote:
> "Sharshera" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >I have a 1988 Volvo 740 GLE Wagon. It runs very rich. It does something
> > like 18mpg or so in the city and around 23mpg or so on the highway.
> >
> > I changed the O2 sensor, the spark plugs are relatively new, the gas
> > pressure regulator, the fuel filter. I have tried additives to clean
> > injector but all this just went in vein.
> >
> > Does anyone have any clues as what to investigate? What might be the
> > problem?
> > I like the car very much and hope that I can drive more often but I
> > only try to take it in longer trips because of its bad fuel economy.
> >
> > The car has 150Kmiles on it.
> >

> > Any help will be very much appreciated.
> >

> What engine and transmission do you have ? What kind of mileage are you
> expecting ?

The engine is the B230F. It is a 8valve nonTurbo.
I don't have the Automatic Transmission exact model.

> You stated " It does something like 18mpg or so in the city
> and around 23mpg or so on the highway." How did you arrive at these figures
> ? The only way to accurately figure fuel mileage is to divide miles
> travelled by the amount of fuel used. You need to do this over several tanks
> of gas to get an average.

I did that for the highway miles. I took to around 5 Long road trips
(1200 miles per trip). And that is how I computed the mileage for the
highway. I did it similarly for the city driving.

Old August 13th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Sharshera

John S. wrote:
> You are stumbling around changing parts with no real idea of what the
> problem is. You still have the chance to save yourself some money.
> Just take the car to a mechanic with the proper diagnostic equipment
> and let them find the cause of the problem and fix it.

You are actually right. I want to do that but the problem is sometimes
if you go to some mechanics they would just rip you off to make money
and I try to minimize that rip off as much as possible. I was wondering
if my concern is real or it is just fine as it is. I am not really
sure.

I have seen a manual transmission 1989 Volvo 740 GL do on the highway
something like 28 or 27 mpg according to a mechanically savvy friend.
Is that difference is only attributed for the difference in
transimission only. I don't know?

I will probably get it to the nearest dealer? Or known Volvo mechanic?

Old August 15th 06, 05:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike

"Sharshera" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Mike wrote:
>> "Sharshera" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> >I have a 1988 Volvo 740 GLE Wagon. It runs very rich. It does something
>> > like 18mpg or so in the city and around 23mpg or so on the highway.
>> >
>> > I changed the O2 sensor, the spark plugs are relatively new, the gas
>> > pressure regulator, the fuel filter. I have tried additives to clean
>> > injector but all this just went in vein.
>> >
>> > Does anyone have any clues as what to investigate? What might be the
>> > problem?
>> > I like the car very much and hope that I can drive more often but I
>> > only try to take it in longer trips because of its bad fuel economy.
>> >
>> > The car has 150Kmiles on it.
>> >

>> > Any help will be very much appreciated.
>> >

>> What engine and transmission do you have ? What kind of mileage are you
>> expecting ?

> The engine is the B230F. It is a 8valve nonTurbo.
> I don't have the Automatic Transmission exact model.
>
>> You stated " It does something like 18mpg or so in the city
>> and around 23mpg or so on the highway." How did you arrive at these
>> figures
>> ? The only way to accurately figure fuel mileage is to divide miles
>> travelled by the amount of fuel used. You need to do this over several
>> tanks
>> of gas to get an average.

> I did that for the highway miles. I took to around 5 Long road trips
> (1200 miles per trip). And that is how I computed the mileage for the
> highway. I did it similarly for the city driving.

EPA mileage figures for your car are 22 city, 28 highway so your mileage
figures look a little low. You say the car is running very rich, how can you
tell ? Have you checked coolant temp sensor ? If the sensor has failed and
is telling the computer that the engine is colder than it actually is your
mileage will be low. You also need to make sure the thermostat is working
properly or the engine may never fully warm up which will also cause it to
run rich.

There are many factors which affect fuel economy. Tire pressure, engine
tune, engine condition, high speeds, heavy traffic, etc..... will also cause
a reduction in mileage. Any decent mechanic should be able to check your car
over for any problems that may cause reduced mileage. One other thought,
cheap gas from cut rate stations can also cause a substantial reduction in
mileage.