Fuilds for a CR-v

Old July 12th 05, 07:35 PM
markdiver

Default Fuilds for a CR-v

My wife's 2000 CR-v now has 50K miles and I am going to do the
servicing on it. The Chiltons manual says that I should use Honda
genuine Coolant and transmission fuild. Is there a reason I cant just
use generic stuff from the auto parts store ?

Thanks.

Old July 12th 05, 09:09 PM
butch burton

Yes you can use any fluid you please but if you do - plan for a new
tranny in about 5K miles. Saving a couple of bucks on fluid would be
less than smart. Also change your ATF at 30K intervals - change it
when the tranny fluid is hot - be damn careful cause when the fluid
comes out it gushes and will fry and bare flesh.

Old July 12th 05, 09:31 PM
motsco_ _

markdiver wrote:
> My wife's 2000 CR-v now has 50K miles and I am going to do the
> servicing on it. The Chiltons manual says that I should use Honda
> genuine Coolant and transmission fuild. Is there a reason I cant just
> use generic stuff from the auto parts store ?
>
> Thanks.

-----------------------

You MUST use Honda Z1 in the tranny, (change it twice, a week apart)
Dual Pump Fluid in the rear differential (every 30,000 miles) and Honda
premix in the cooling system is a good idea too. Don't leave any
Hondacide (tap water) in the system. Brake fluid can be generic, but
Honda steering fluid should be OEM.

The manual is wrong about the interval on the Dual Pump Fluid. That's
why you hear that sick scraping / rubbing noise when you do a tight
left-hand u-turn at low speed. Mark a bunch of new 'dots' in the manual.

'Curly'

Old July 16th 05, 06:46 AM
markdiver

Thanks for all the advice everyone !