new car odometer

Old March 15th 06, 04:00 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default new car odometer

How many miles can be on a car for it still to sold as "new"? (I live
in California, if that makes a difference.)

I am looking at a new A3 with 55 miles already on the odometer. This is
at a big dealership, and so I assume new cars are delivered directly to
their doorstep. So is the 55 miles from test drives?

I know this borders on OCD, but my previous new cars had 10 miles each,
and 55 sounds not quite virginal.

Thanks.

Bill

Old March 15th 06, 04:43 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Bill T" wrote
> How many miles can be on a car for it still to sold as "new"? (I live
> in California, if that makes a difference.)
>
> I am looking at a new A3 with 55 miles already on the odometer. This
> is at a big dealership, and so I assume new cars are delivered
> directly to their doorstep. So is the 55 miles from test drives?
>
> I know this borders on OCD, but my previous new cars had 10 miles
> each, and 55 sounds not quite virginal.

I think up to 1000 miles they can still sell it as "new". When I bought
my "new" A4 in 2001, it had 380 miles on the odometer. I wasn't happy
about it, but it was the only car in the entire US available with the
exact options I wanted, and it was too late to place an order for
another one to be built from scratch (the were already starting the B6
production), so I took it.

Pete

Old March 15th 06, 10:33 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Bill T" > wrote in message
.. .
> How many miles can be on a car for it still to sold as "new"? (I live in
> California, if that makes a difference.)
>
> I am looking at a new A3 with 55 miles already on the odometer. This is
> at a big dealership, and so I assume new cars are delivered directly to
> their doorstep. So is the 55 miles from test drives?
>
> I know this borders on OCD, but my previous new cars had 10 miles each,
> and 55 sounds not quite virginal.
>
> Thanks.
>

> Bill

55 miles is nothing.
The car drives out of the factory in Belgium or Ingolstadt and then to and
fro ships and then to importers, dealers etc.
Although the odometers have a one time only reset, normally it is not used
for such small distances.

Ronald

Old March 15th 06, 12:00 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

In message >
Bill T > wrote:

> I know this borders on OCD, but my previous new cars had 10 miles each,
> and 55 sounds not quite virginal.

I've bought a car described as 'used' with less miles on the clock! The
explanation is that it was registered to Toyota UK, and used on a static
display.

On the other hand, I took delivery of my RS6 with over 50 miles on the
clock - the reason being that all RS6s were road tested by the factory,
which involved being driven around a 30 mile set route on public roads.

Old March 15th 06, 05:50 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

I think 'newness' is indicated by whether or not the car has been
registered to a private owner (versus the dealer), not the number of
miles on it. So, a car could have 1000 miles on it and never have been
registered, and considered 'new', but another car could be driven off
the showroom floor with 10 miles on it, and be considered 'used' once
it is registered to a private owner. That's how they can sell demo's as
new cars (although I think dealers may now put them into their CPO
programs in some cases).

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA