More On Left Lane Driving

Old December 6th 04, 11:18 PM
Dave Head

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 08:42:11 -0700, Big Bill > wrote:

>On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 02:01:31 GMT, Dave Head > wrote:

>>>Can you clarify the above statement please? I was trying to understand it,
>>>but couldnt. How do you magically clear the right lane?

>>Simple.
>>
>>1) At 7 mph over the limit, I am passing most everything else around here.
>>Nothing is keeping pace with me on the right. The right lane is mostly clear.

>You keep saying this, and I wonder where you drive (I don't keep track
>of such things).

This takes place mostly on rt. 3 east of Fredericksburg.

>Out here in the Southwest, 7 over will get you passed by just about
>everyone on an Interstate.

Oh, yeah, I know - I was pacing some van from California on I-10 at about 90
mph and 300 yards back with a radar detector about 10 years ago. All the
traffic was fast, just not as fast as us. Yeah, he got a ticket, I got a dirty
look from the cop, and had to slow down for a while 'til I caught another
rabbit.

Dave Head

Old December 6th 04, 11:18 PM
Dave Head

Old December 6th 04, 11:27 PM
Dave Head

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 17:19:19 GMT, "Bernard Farquart"
> wrote:

>"Dave Head" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Just like people that are on my tail and want to go faster - they don't
>> give a
>> rip that they're 7 over the limit and wanting to do 10 or 15 or 20.
>> Everybody's putting themselves first, it seems.

>How is someone elses speed any problem for you?

Why, you _know_ they are gonna fly off the road and disintigrate if the exceed
the speed limit, dontcha? Just ask Judy or Carl.

I'm just pointing out the hypocracy of someone who is already breaking the law
complaining about someone else breaking the law.

>If you are driving propperly, and keeping right, they have
>no effect on you by passing you at whatever speed they are
>going.

Sure they do - because when they get beside me, a really goodly number will
decide to "pass" me at exactly my speed. That requires me to do things that
will get me a ticket, or noticed or both. Not happenin'. They want to drive
that nutty, they can do it on my right side, where they won't be able to stay
for more than a few minutes.

>You , on the other hand, are forcing people to slow
>down,

Hey, I don't have to slow down when encountering someone else in the left lane,
and neither do that.

>wait to see if you will move over

I don't wait. They don't have to either.

> (as could reasonably
>be expected)

No, its not reasonable. If they use the horn or a headlight flash, then it
would e reasonable to expect someone to get over immediately. But if I observe
a car that's been driving in the left lane for the last 2 minutes as I
approach, I don't reasonably expect them to do anything but continue driving in
the left lane.

>then proceed around you on the right,

Like they would do in the 1st place if they had any "street smarts".

Tell you what - you proceed down 200 miles of road in Virginia waiting behind
every car in the left lane for them to move over, and I'll pass 'em on the
right immediately. I'll see you at the other end, but I will have already
finished dinner by the time you get there.

>unsure if you are going to suddenly move over to your
>right,

'cuz you got no "street smarts"

> your behavior is unquestionably worse than theirs.

Naw, just a notion you have.

Dave Head

Old December 6th 04, 11:27 PM
Dave Head

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 17:19:19 GMT, "Bernard Farquart"
> wrote:

.. .

Old December 6th 04, 11:32 PM
Dave Head

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 19:08:18 GMT, (Brent P)
wrote:

>In article >, Dave Head wrote:
>> OK, say I stay right and the typical duckling comes up and sits on my left rear
>> at 62 mph. Now _he's_ an LLB that people _can't_ get around and I'm an
>> _enabler_ for not accelerating or braking.

>Um no. an _enabler_ is a person who stops/slows all the traffic behind
>him by letting a shoulder passer or some other MFFY type in.

An enabler is someone who allows a dangerous situation to exist when they could
do something about it. That would be someone in the right lane, allowing some
a-hole to pace him for mile after mile, or worse, allowing him to catch the
next slower car ahead, predictably slowing down, and creating at least a 3-car
clump.

>> Then we both catch a slower car, I get slowed down to 58 mph or whatever, and
>> you get 2 cars in the right lane plus the duckling doing the LLB thing. So, if
>> I stay in the right lane, things just get worse for everybody.

>> At least when I drive left, the duckling is scraped off periodically by the
>> slower car in the right lane, and other people can pass me just fine... on the
>> right.

>And if you come across the slower car in the left lane it's even WORSE.

No, I pass 'em on the right, in a heartbeat. With any luck, the duckling who
is tailgating will decide to tailgate the other guy in a left lane, and I'll be
rid of him.

And, there's so many more slower cars in the right lane, the situation where
there's a right lane duckling when I catch someone slower in the left lane is a
rare occurrence. When I see that coming up, I generally slow down gradually a
few mph, then nail the gas and get back to my 7 over the limit much quicker
than the duckling, so then I can get right and pass the other guy in the left
lane without cutting off the duckling either.

>> Fact is, there's gonna be an LLB one way or the other, most of the time. If I
>> stay in the right lane, you won't be able to get around the LLB in the left
>> lane. If _I_ am in the left lane, you _will_ be able to get around because the
>> right lane will be clear, most of the time.

>You are just looking for excuses for driving badly because so many others
>do. I can think of many more in the same vein, still doesn't make them
>right.

It just makes me safer. I know this because I have fewer close calls, and also
lower exposure to traffic tickets.

Dave Head

Old December 6th 04, 11:32 PM
Dave Head

Old December 6th 04, 11:38 PM
Bernard Farquart

"Dave Head" > wrote in message
>>How is someone elses speed any problem for you?

> Why, you _know_ they are gonna fly off the road and disintigrate if the
> exceed
> the speed limit, dontcha? Just ask Judy or Carl.
>
> I'm just pointing out the hypocracy of someone who is already breaking the
> law
> complaining about someone else breaking the law.

If you read carefully, I think you will find the objections
are based more on courtesy, and predictabilaty, rather than
legality.

>>If you are driving propperly, and keeping right, they have
>>no effect on you by passing you at whatever speed they are
>>going.

> Sure they do - because when they get beside me, a really goodly number
> will
> decide to "pass" me at exactly my speed. That requires me to do things
> that
> will get me a ticket, or noticed or both. Not happenin'. They want to
> drive
> that nutty, they can do it on my right side, where they won't be able to
> stay
> for more than a few minutes.

OK, since someone else *may* be an idiot,
you have to act like one, as well?

>>You , on the other hand, are forcing people to slow
>>down,

> Hey, I don't have to slow down when encountering someone else in the left
> lane,
> and neither do that.
>
>>wait to see if you will move over

> I don't wait. They don't have to either
>
>> (as could reasonably
>>be expected)

> No, its not reasonable. If they use the horn or a headlight flash, then
> it
> would e reasonable to expect someone to get over immediately. But if I
> observe
> a car that's been driving in the left lane for the last 2 minutes as I
> approach, I don't reasonably expect them to do anything but continue
> driving in
> the left lane.

yes, it is reasonable to expect someone to keep right
while not passing, if you define reasonable as what
most people would expect. Shall we take a poll?

>>then proceed around you on the right,

> Like they would do in the 1st place if they had any "street smarts".
>
> Tell you what - you proceed down 200 miles of road in Virginia waiting
> behind
> every car in the left lane for them to move over, and I'll pass 'em on the
> right immediately. I'll see you at the other end, but I will have already
> finished dinner by the time you get there.

I don't have such a problem with you passing
on the right is someone won't get over, I have a problem
with you sitting in the right lane, at 7 over, like it
is the smartest thing to do. It makes you an obstacle
but since you are not going to figure that out, I see no
reason to keep telling you what is plain to everyone else.

Bernard

Old December 6th 04, 11:38 PM
Bernard Farquart

Old December 7th 04, 12:51 AM
E.R.

In a previous posting, Dave Head > had the
audacity to say:

:Oh, yeah, I know - I was pacing some van from California on I-10 at about 90
:mph and 300 yards back with a radar detector about 10 years ago. All the
:traffic was fast, just not as fast as us. Yeah, he got a ticket, I got a dirty
:look from the cop, and had to slow down for a while 'til I caught another
:rabbit.

Using a rabbit is an excellent, effective and highly recommended
technique either with or without a RD.

--
E.R. aka SJG aka Ricardo
present location: vancouver bc canada