"Clunk!" in Front End During Slow Turns

Old January 2nd 05, 09:06 PM
Mike Becker

Default "Clunk!" in Front End During Slow Turns

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer on this. I've spent about
$400 on two different sets of wheel hubs trying to track this one down and
have worn out the search function of web forums and newsgroups.

I have a '98 Cherokee with about 100k miles on it. During any sort of
slower turn (sub 15mph) a loud "clunk" noise shoots out from the front end
of the vehicle. It is sometimes a single clunk, and sometimes a rapid 3-4
succession of clunks. Standing outside the vehicle, it sounds like it's
coming directly from the wheel. It clunks from either the left or right
side, but never both.

When this first started, I assumed the hubs were shot and replaced them.
Unfortunately the problem continued. Everything I read was still pointing
at the hubs, so I went ahead and bought a different set from Napa, but the
problem remains.

I'm pretty sure my hub installation is solid: 175ft-lbs on spindle nut, 75
ft-lbs on hub bolts, and lots of bearing grease everywhere. At this point
I'm assuming the problem is in either the steering or suspension. Of
course, I've checked it over fairly well, and it seems solid.

Does anyone have any suggestions at all for what it might be, and a how I
could test?

THANKS a TON!!

--
becker;
email = remove the fruit;
Old January 2nd 05, 09:09 PM
DougW

Mike Becker did pass the time by typing:
> Thanks in advance for any help you can offer on this. I've spent about
> $400 on two different sets of wheel hubs trying to track this one down and
> have worn out the search function of web forums and newsgroups.
>
> I have a '98 Cherokee with about 100k miles on it. During any sort of
> slower turn (sub 15mph) a loud "clunk" noise shoots out from the front end
> of the vehicle. It is sometimes a single clunk, and sometimes a rapid 3-4
> succession of clunks. Standing outside the vehicle, it sounds like it's
> coming directly from the wheel. It clunks from either the left or right
> side, but never both.

Have you checked every suspension bolt for proper torque?
Have you checked the sway bar for broken mounts and
the track bar for shot bushings?

This was the cause of some klunking/popping in my ZJ.
http://members.cox.net/wilsond/swaybar/

--
DougW

Old January 2nd 05, 09:41 PM
RoyJ

I'd take a quick check of the front U-joints. At 100k they both should
need replacing. Check for a tell talke ring of rust around the grease
seals on the cross shafts.

Old January 2nd 05, 10:06 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Front axle Universal Joint failu
http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical...97andSeals.htm
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 3rd 05, 12:56 AM
Tom T

Yea, What He Said . . .
Tom T

Old January 3rd 05, 01:00 AM
Mike Becker

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 20:41:28 GMT, RoyJ wrote:

> I'd take a quick check of the front U-joints. At 100k they both should
> need replacing. Check for a tell talke ring of rust around the grease
> seals on the cross shafts.

I meant to specify that it's a 2WD model. The rear U-joint seems solid,
but I'll add it to my list the next time I get in a maintenance mode.

Thanks!

--
becker;
email = remove the fruit;
Old January 3rd 05, 01:25 AM
Mike Becker

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 14:09:55 -0600, DougW wrote:

> Have you checked every suspension bolt for proper torque?
> Have you checked the sway bar for broken mounts and
> the track bar for shot bushings?
>
> This was the cause of some klunking/popping in my ZJ.
> http://members.cox.net/wilsond/swaybar/

Sway bar mounts are in good shape, and the track bar bushings look ok. I
haven't checked the torque of all of the components yet because most of the
ones I saw had cotter keys. However, in looking through my Haynes manual I
see quite a few that would be easy to check and rule out. Any in
particular that might cause a "clunk" localized to either wheel, only while
turning? Up to now, I've ruled out anything in pairs (suspension arms,
shocks, coils) as both would have had to fail simultaneously. I think I'll
revisit those, though.

A few weeks ago I had the wife run it up and down the drive way while I
held onto various parts of the steering/suspension and wasn't able to feel
out the popping. I did notice that the center link had quite a bit of play
in it. I pumped up the grease fittings which helped, but the clunking
continued.

Thanks for your help!

--
becker;
email = remove the fruit;
Old January 3rd 05, 01:39 AM
DougW

Mike Becker did pass the time by typing:

> A few weeks ago I had the wife run it up and down the drive way while I
> held onto various parts of the steering/suspension and wasn't able to feel
> out the popping. I did notice that the center link had quite a bit of play
> in it. I pumped up the grease fittings which helped, but the clunking
> continued.

Longshot, but have you checked the motor and tranny mounts?
http://members.cox.net/douglas.wilson/motormount/
Although that usually is a big klonk and/or a real rough
feeling engine.

--
DougW

Old January 3rd 05, 01:59 AM
Mike Becker

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:06:21 -0800, L.W.Hughes III wrote:

> Front axle Universal Joint failu
> http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical...97andSeals.htm
> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
> http://www.billhughes.com/

Sorry, I forgot to specify that it's 2WD in my first post. The hubs are
the same as they are on a 4WD model, with what I've just called the "dumby
spline" through the middle. The dumby spline ends immediately at the back
of the hub and I assume it's only purpose is to hold the hub assembly
together.

Thanks

--
becker;