LT1 Wrangler For Sale in Arizona (repost)

Old July 20th 05, 10:39 PM

A sufficiently good bull**** artist can usually talk his way into a
backseat ride off one of Uncle Sugar's flattops, which is a slam that
beats even the jet and rocket cars on a dragstrip. The ship is less
than a quarter mile long and the cats use half, if even that, and you
go off the bow at 200+. After that, Top Fuel or AA/FC is a yawner.

Jet dragsters are not quite as impressive, but they are still faster
and far, far cheaper to run than Top Fuel. If Nitromethane went the way
of hydrazine at publicly spectated events I'd shed no tears.

Old July 21st 05, 01:00 AM

There are jet dragsters that still hold absolute quarter mile records
as far as I know.

The Fords-with chassis designed by Eric Broadley, built in England-did
win one-two-three, by edict of Ford, which cost Ken Miles the
championship and made Ford look like ****heads, because they were. It
was a Phyrric victory that did NOTHING for Ford in the US and hurt them
elsewhere and only elevated the status of Enzo Ferrari as the greatest
race car constructor of all time and all the world over-without winning
Indianapolis, as Maserati did (with no help from the works-twice) and
P&W almost did (save the stupidity of chassis designers) with only the
gift of a junk unairworthy training engine.

Of the ten most expensive vintage race cars in the world, at least
eight are Ferraris.

Old July 21st 05, 04:58 AM

You might be thinking of the rocket cars that NHRA banned several years ago.
The jets do not compare to the current Top Fuel cars.

Chris

ups.com...

Old July 21st 05, 07:42 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

So Chris, what does your imagination tell a jet's standing quarter mile
ET is? If NHRA banned them I'm glad, they use to take so...... much time
away from serious drag racing. I been on the drag strip with them, and
took 8 mm pictures of them while they were there, couldn't even get them
in the same frame when the light turned green:
http://www.billhughes.com/temp/jetDragster.mpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old July 21st 05, 09:37 PM

Searching the net, I am unable to find any valid jet dragster numbers.
The major sanctioning bodies do not actually sanction the jets anymore,
just as they don't have rocket, compressed air, or electric car classes
or ones for four wheel drive vehicles. (The electric guys have NEDRA).
Since these are exhibition vhicles the ET and trap speeds may be
accurate, but they are not recorded by the sanctioning bodies.

What is obvious from a Web search is that most of these jet dragsters
and funny cars are essentially hobby efforts and are running first and
second generation jet engines long out of aircraft service. Obviously,
legit competition and funds with more modern engines would drive speeds
radically higher. I think Arfons was quoted as running in the low fives
or high fours in the mid/late 60's.

Old July 22nd 05, 01:21 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You know, I can't impress upon you enough that if I thought a
surplus jet engine could have beat any dragster, I would have had one.
And that's a fact! Just like this was my car:
http://www.billhughes.com/temp/dragster.mpg

Old July 22nd 05, 02:31 AM

Bill,
Do you know the difference between a rocket car and a jet car? I did not say
that the jets were banned, in fact I went to see them at the local track
just a few weeks ago. I do still remember going to watch my first drag race
at the same track 28 years ago, and the ROCKET car that was there that night
ran a 4.93 ET at 344 MPH. This was 28 years ago when the Top Fuel cars still
had the short wings, they shifted gears, and they didn't have the lockup
clutches like they do now. Also thousands fewer ponies too. I can't say what
the TF cars were running back then, but I do know that the 4 second barrier
was not broken until Eddie Hill did it the week after the US Nationals in
1988. He broke the 4 second barrier at the Texas Motorplex running a 4.93ET
if my memory serves me correctly. I was at Indy that year, and Gene Snow and
I believe Joe Amato were in the finals. Snow had run a 5.002 in the semi
finals, and said he would get the 4 in the final, but his throttle linkage
broke right after he launched. Anyway, my point here is that the rocket cars
had got so fast, and I believe I remember hearing about a run that was over
400MPH and in the very low 4 second range, but that I am not sure of. I
think that was when all of the sanctioning bodies started banning the
rockets. Also, the Jets do sometimes hit a higher top speed than the TF
cars, but I haven't seen or heard of a jet that is close to a TF car as far
as ET is concerned, and ET is what counts. Now, I'm sure if someone built an
unlimited jet car based on the newest jet technology, it might be a
different story. I did find this page that only shows the records for a
particular track.

http://www.mirdrag.com/records.htm

It shows a 3 tenths of a second difference in favor of the TF car. This ET
difference at 300MPH equates to 132 feet! Not my imagination at all.

Chris