68 mustang brake light not coming on

Old September 3rd 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default 68 mustang brake light not coming on

I need help with this. I just change my power booster on my 68 mustang
and the brake lights are not coming on. I notice that this push rod in
the center has a nylon shim and the org didnt. When I put the stop
light switch in, I notice one side is on top of the shim. Does both
side of the stop switch need to touch and make ground. Iam lost and I
cant figure what I did wrong. If any mustang techs knows anything lt
will be appreciated.

Old September 3rd 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
TM

The switch does not need to be grounded to function.

The two steel legs of the switch have to be outside of the nylon sleeve in
order for there to be enough movement to actuate the switch.

ups.com...

Old September 4th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

A friend told me to do that and still they are not coming on. The thing
that I dont understand is that before I change the power booster the
brake lights were working. I even went and got me a new stop switch
thinking that it would solve the problem but still nothing. What do
you think it could be thanks.

Old September 4th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
TM

There are two different switches for the 68 depending on whether you have
power or manual brakes. The difference is the spring pressure; the power
brake switch actuates with lighter pedal pressure.

Two things to try.

1) Remove the switch, cross the connections in the plug. The brake lights
should come on. If they don't, check the fuse. The only other item in the
circuit is the turn signal switch. It can affect the brake light circuit
but it's a slim chance it's involved in this problem.

2) If crossing the wires makes the brake lights come on, then put the switch
back on the pedal but leave the nylon top hat bushing off. This will
increase the amount of travel available to push the switch plunger and will
not compromise the integrity of the brakes.

oups.com...

Old September 4th 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Thanks for your help, I just tried what you told me to cross over the
connections and still nothing. But I did found that if I put my hazard
lights on and then press the brake pedal the hazard lights will stop
flashing then my brake lights will come on. Does that have something to
do with the cicuit in the turn signal switch?

Old September 4th 06, 06:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
TM

What you described is normal. The brake lights should stay on steady with
the brake depressed. Have you checked to see if you're getting 12V to one
side of the brake switch? The other side should show no voltage assuming the
turn signals and emergency flashers are off. I don't have my schematics
handy, but I recall the emergency flashers being fused off the cigar lighter
circuit and the brake lights off another fuse.

"rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks for your help, I just tried what you told me to cross over the
> connections and still nothing. But I did found that if I put my hazard
> lights on and then press the brake pedal the hazard lights will stop
> flashing then my brake lights will come on. Does that have something to
> do with the cicuit in the turn signal switch?
> TM wrote:
>> There are two different switches for the 68 depending on whether you have
>> power or manual brakes. The difference is the spring pressure; the power
>> brake switch actuates with lighter pedal pressure.
>>
>> Two things to try.
>>
>> 1) Remove the switch, cross the connections in the plug. The brake lights
>> should come on. If they don't, check the fuse. The only other item in
>> the
>> circuit is the turn signal switch. It can affect the brake light circuit
>> but it's a slim chance it's involved in this problem.
>>
>> 2) If crossing the wires makes the brake lights come on, then put the
>> switch
>> back on the pedal but leave the nylon top hat bushing off. This will
>> increase the amount of travel available to push the switch plunger and
>> will
>> not compromise the integrity of the brakes.
>>
>> "rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> >A friend told me to do that and still they are not coming on. The thing
>> > that I dont understand is that before I change the power booster the
>> > brake lights were working. I even went and got me a new stop switch
>> > thinking that it would solve the problem but still nothing. What do
>> > you think it could be thanks.

Brake Light funkiness [email protected] VW water cooled 1 November 23rd 05 12:21 AM
electrically stupid BDragon Corvette 32 February 6th 05 08:14 AM
21st Century Goat vs Mustang Shootout [email protected] Ford Mustang 1 January 15th 05 06:09 PM
Brake rotors already grooving [email protected] Technology 46 January 15th 05 03:42 PM
Engine Light coming on Carl Borbons Saturn 5 July 17th 04 01:49 PM