05 Accord Hybrid engine light blinks, no code

Old May 8th 05, 04:46 AM
Kevin McMurtrie

Default 05 Accord Hybrid engine light blinks, no code

I have an 05 Accord Hybrid. If I step hard on the gas at highway speeds
when the tank is about 1/5 full, the engine light blinks. Twice it
blinked for about 10 seconds. Once it blinked for about 2 minutes, even
during auto-stop. The light then goes out and the dealership says
there's no stored error code. According to my repair manual, the MIL
only blinks during severe misfiring and it should store an error code.
I don't hear or feel any misfiring while it blinks.

My plan is to take it to the dealership again and ask them to replace
the ECU if there's still no stored error code. Any other ideas? Car
also has a stumbling idle sometimes.
Old May 8th 05, 05:26 AM
chip

On Sat, 07 May 2005 20:46:50 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie
> wrote:

>I have an 05 Accord Hybrid. If I step hard on the gas at highway speeds
>when the tank is about 1/5 full, the engine light blinks. Twice it
>blinked for about 10 seconds. Once it blinked for about 2 minutes, even
>during auto-stop. The light then goes out and the dealership says
>there's no stored error code. According to my repair manual, the MIL
>only blinks during severe misfiring and it should store an error code.
>I don't hear or feel any misfiring while it blinks.
>
>My plan is to take it to the dealership again and ask them to replace
>the ECU if there's still no stored error code. Any other ideas? Car
>also has a stumbling idle sometimes.

the dealer didn't do the CKP learn process
Old May 8th 05, 07:48 AM
SoCalMike

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
> My plan is to take it to the dealership again and ask them to replace
> the ECU if there's still no stored error code. Any other ideas? Car
> also has a stumbling idle sometimes.

im guessing youre using the right grade of gas from a reputable station?
Old May 8th 05, 08:11 AM
Kevin McMurtrie

In article >,
chip > wrote:

> On Sat, 07 May 2005 20:46:50 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie
> > wrote:
>
> >I have an 05 Accord Hybrid. If I step hard on the gas at highway speeds
> >when the tank is about 1/5 full, the engine light blinks. Twice it
> >blinked for about 10 seconds. Once it blinked for about 2 minutes, even
> >during auto-stop. The light then goes out and the dealership says
> >there's no stored error code. According to my repair manual, the MIL
> >only blinks during severe misfiring and it should store an error code.
> >I don't hear or feel any misfiring while it blinks.
> >
> >My plan is to take it to the dealership again and ask them to replace
> >the ECU if there's still no stored error code. Any other ideas? Car
> >also has a stumbling idle sometimes.

> the dealer didn't do the CKP learn process

Thanks, I'll ask about dealership prep the next time I'm there if it
still hasn't stored any codes. I bought the car at a place where the
repair department is well known for fraud and incompetence. They could
have messed it up. (I'm using another dealership for service)
Old May 8th 05, 08:11 AM
Kevin McMurtrie

In article >,
SoCalMike > wrote:

> Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
> > My plan is to take it to the dealership again and ask them to replace
> > the ECU if there's still no stored error code. Any other ideas? Car
> > also has a stumbling idle sometimes.

> im guessing youre using the right grade of gas from a reputable station?

Of course. Been through several tanks of 87 octane gas from various
high volume, major brand stations. Car specifications are for 86 octane
or higher.
Old May 13th 05, 04:27 AM
Kevin McMurtrie

In article >,
chip > wrote:

> On Sat, 07 May 2005 20:46:50 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie
> > wrote:
>
> >I have an 05 Accord Hybrid. If I step hard on the gas at highway speeds
> >when the tank is about 1/5 full, the engine light blinks. Twice it
> >blinked for about 10 seconds. Once it blinked for about 2 minutes, even
> >during auto-stop. The light then goes out and the dealership says
> >there's no stored error code. According to my repair manual, the MIL
> >only blinks during severe misfiring and it should store an error code.
> >I don't hear or feel any misfiring while it blinks.
> >
> >My plan is to take it to the dealership again and ask them to replace
> >the ECU if there's still no stored error code. Any other ideas? Car
> >also has a stumbling idle sometimes.

> the dealer didn't do the CKP learn process

We have a winner! After much MIL blinking, the engine finally stored an
error code for misfiring. The repair sheet says:

"Find that the high RPM pulser was not fully initialized through the
crank position sensor. Reinitialized the crank position sensor."

It's annoying that the computer would get into a semi-working state like
that. I'll see it it idles smoothly after the engine cools down.