Questions on 30,000 mile service

Old January 30th 05, 10:51 PM
Matt Macchiarolo

Nothing's missing now. My Ford van called for new plugs at 75K miles.
Technology has come a long way since 1953.

Old January 30th 05, 11:12 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That's a Ford, and GM, they're running seventy five thousand volts,
about twice Chrysler's coil voltage. Does your TJ still run, with the
gasoline washed dry, cylinder walls?
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 30th 05, 11:27 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Good idea, especially if you every go off road, I don't care how
good an air filter you think you have, some silicone dust will get in
and melt a glass like coating, fouling the electrodes. Drag racing I
changed them every run, that is if I wanted to win.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 31st 05, 12:32 AM
Matt Macchiarolo

Only has about 37,000 miles on it anyway. Runs like a champ. It doesn't have
mechanical fuel injection, the fuel cuts off when there is no power to the
injectors. Like I said, we've come a long way since the 1950's, Bill.

Old January 31st 05, 12:41 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

So seven thousand miles of miss firing would be about a hundred
thousand in wear and tear? I guess you were obvious to the fact that
Chrysler/nazis haven't upped there voltage, even with your individual
coils. they're still firing at fifties voltage.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 31st 05, 12:45 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You'll also see the difference in spark plug gapping between the
high energy Ford and GM and your fifties technology TJ.

Old January 31st 05, 02:20 AM
Lon

Jim Y. proclaimed:

> Hello, I got a few questions about the 30,000 mile service. I have a
> 2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.0 liter w/Selectrac (part time and full
> time 4x4). It was purchased in early 2003 though.
>
> I'm at 28,000 miles now and have 2 Jeep dealers nearby. Their service on
> most items is the same: oil change, change trans fluid/filter (not
> flush), check belts, hoses, PCV valve....check coolant and flush if
> needed, rotate tires, emissions, etc.
>
> One big differerence is this:
>
> Dealer #1 charges $479, but also replaces the spark plugs and "inspects
> basic idle and set engine controls to factory specifications".
>
> Dealer #2 charges $359 and does NOT replace spark plugs but includes
> "perform throttle body-fuel inductions service".. What is that? Sounds
> like cleaning the injectors (?)
>
> My basic question is this: Do you recommend changing the plugs at 30,000
> miles? I'm quite sure I don't have platinum plugs and I don't think I've
> ever replaced plugs at 30,000 miles. The vehicle runs great and I want
> to maintain it though.
>
> Also I plan to request a transmission FLUSH, even if I have to pay more.
> (I've done this on all my vehicles) Also, should I request 4x4/transfer
> case service too? This is listed as a seperate stand-alone service and
> charge. What does the 4x4 service get you?

Spark plug replacement is in the FSM at 30K. So is drain/refill
transmission and transfer case. And check the serpentine, which
is pretty cheap to replace rather than mess with.

Pick up a Factory Service Manual from www.techauthority.com. Great
investment.

Old January 31st 05, 02:58 AM
Matt Macchiarolo

Bill, have you ever even felt a 6-cyl engine misfire? If you had, you would
know that mine is not.

Old January 31st 05, 04:55 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I surly have, this was the fastest V6 Jeep in Glamis, '77:
http://www.billhughes.com/jeep68sand2.jpg It was using your same twenty
five thousand volts to fire the plugs. Seeing you haven't felt yours, I
don't believe you can feel it miss fire, to your untrained eye it would
probably feel like the new Hemi WJ switching between four and eight
cylinders. And if you kept a log, you would notice a decrease in
mileage.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 31st 05, 05:04 AM
Dean

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:55:25 -0800, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III >
wrote:

> I surly have, this was the fastest V6 Jeep in Glamis, '77:
>http://www.billhughes.com/jeep68sand2.jpg

Uh Bill, is that a "Real" Jeep wave you're giving us there? <lol>