67 beetle master cylinder spacer

Old November 12th 04, 02:18 AM
Hal

Default 67 beetle master cylinder spacer

I was helping a friend replace the master cylinder on a 67 bug today,
and when I went to remove the two bolts holding the MC to the car I
saw that the forward firewall was really 'dented in' around one of the
bolts. Apparently there is a spacer that is supposed to fit between
the outer firewall panel and the inner one, and the spacer keeps the
bolt from damaging the interior panel as well as allowing the master
cylinder to be properly tightened.

Anyway, my problem is that I'm short a spacer. I've checked around and
I don't see this part available new. I was able to remove the spacer
on the other bolt, and it's a fairly thick-walled piece of tubing.
1.090" long, .479" OD, .355" ID.

Does anyone out there have one of these from a wrecked car that they
would let go for a couple bucks plus money for shipping? Or, where
could I go to find a section of tubing with a .479" OD and .355" ID?
Who would sell this stuff?

This car isn't his daily driver fortunately, and I refused to put the
new master cylinder in without the proper parts. Thus, the car sits
with the forward end hiked proudly into the air. It's ugly right now

Any help would be appreciated. If you have a pair of spacers you would
be willing to sell(might as well buy both and have a spare..) please
drop me an email and I'll get some money on the way.

Thanks,

Chris
Old November 12th 04, 02:43 AM
Speedy Jim

Hal wrote:
> I was helping a friend replace the master cylinder on a 67 bug today,
> and when I went to remove the two bolts holding the MC to the car I
> saw that the forward firewall was really 'dented in' around one of the
> bolts. Apparently there is a spacer that is supposed to fit between
> the outer firewall panel and the inner one, and the spacer keeps the
> bolt from damaging the interior panel as well as allowing the master
> cylinder to be properly tightened.
>
> Anyway, my problem is that I'm short a spacer. I've checked around and
> I don't see this part available new. I was able to remove the spacer
> on the other bolt, and it's a fairly thick-walled piece of tubing.
> 1.090" long, .479" OD, .355" ID.
>
> Does anyone out there have one of these from a wrecked car that they
> would let go for a couple bucks plus money for shipping? Or, where
> could I go to find a section of tubing with a .479" OD and .355" ID?
> Who would sell this stuff?
>
> This car isn't his daily driver fortunately, and I refused to put the
> new master cylinder in without the proper parts. Thus, the car sits
> with the forward end hiked proudly into the air. It's ugly right now
>

> Any help would be appreciated. If you have a pair of spacers you would
> be willing to sell(might as well buy both and have a spare..) please
> drop me an email and I'll get some money on the way.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris

Get thee to yon hardware store and pick up a 1/4" iron pipe nipple.
The ID is .364", OD is .540"

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old November 12th 04, 11:05 AM
Shaggie

On 11 Nov 2004 18:18:10 -0800, (Hal) wrote:

>I was helping a friend replace the master cylinder on a 67 bug today,
>and when I went to remove the two bolts holding the MC to the car I
>saw that the forward firewall was really 'dented in' around one of the
>bolts. Apparently there is a spacer that is supposed to fit between
>the outer firewall panel and the inner one, and the spacer keeps the
>bolt from damaging the interior panel as well as allowing the master
>cylinder to be properly tightened.
>
>Anyway, my problem is that I'm short a spacer. I've checked around and
>I don't see this part available new. I was able to remove the spacer
>on the other bolt, and it's a fairly thick-walled piece of tubing.
>1.090" long, .479" OD, .355" ID.
>
>Does anyone out there have one of these from a wrecked car that they
>would let go for a couple bucks plus money for shipping? Or, where
>could I go to find a section of tubing with a .479" OD and .355" ID?
>Who would sell this stuff?
>
>This car isn't his daily driver fortunately, and I refused to put the
>new master cylinder in without the proper parts. Thus, the car sits
>with the forward end hiked proudly into the air. It's ugly right now
>

>Any help would be appreciated. If you have a pair of spacers you would
>be willing to sell(might as well buy both and have a spare..) please
>drop me an email and I'll get some money on the way.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Chris

I've heard rumors of people using stacks of ordinary washers to act in
place of a spacer they dropped down in there. *whistles softly*

--

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite,
and furthermore always carry a small snake.
Old November 12th 04, 11:19 AM
Tim Rogers

"Shaggie" > wrote in message

> I've heard rumors of people using stacks of ordinary washers to act in
> place of a spacer they dropped down in there. *whistles softly*

..............I thought of that too, but I didn't want to be accused of using
redneck engineering.

LOL

Old November 12th 04, 11:22 AM
Shaggie

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 06:19:58 -0500, "Tim Rogers" >
wrote:

>"Shaggie" > wrote in message
.. .

>> I've heard rumors of people using stacks of ordinary washers to act in
>> place of a spacer they dropped down in there. *whistles softly*
>>

>.............I thought of that too, but I didn't want to be accused of using
>redneck engineering.
>
>LOL

Hey, what are you doing up at this hour?!?!?

Old November 12th 04, 04:53 PM
Red Bug

In article >,
"Tim Rogers" > wrote:

> I thought of that too, but I didn't want to be accused of using
> redneck engineering.

Ah, but if one welds those washers together first, then is it okay? ;-)

--
___
|___| '61 - VW
Old November 12th 04, 05:24 PM
Shaggie

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:53:59 GMT, Red Bug > wrote:

>In article >,
> "Tim Rogers" > wrote:
>
>> I thought of that too, but I didn't want to be accused of using
>> redneck engineering.

>Ah, but if one welds those washers together first, then is it okay? ;-)

As long as they don't "JB" weld them together...

Old November 12th 04, 09:35 PM
Tim Rogers

"Shaggie" > wrote in message

> Hey, what are you doing up at this hour?!?!?

..................I was drinking coffee and preparing to go to work.

Old November 13th 04, 03:17 AM
Lantrip

A valve guide from a cyl head will work fine, just trim the length.

Jason in Albuquerque

"Hal" > wrote in message
om...
> I was helping a friend replace the master cylinder on a 67 bug today,
> and when I went to remove the two bolts holding the MC to the car I
> saw that the forward firewall was really 'dented in' around one of the
> bolts. Apparently there is a spacer that is supposed to fit between
> the outer firewall panel and the inner one, and the spacer keeps the
> bolt from damaging the interior panel as well as allowing the master
> cylinder to be properly tightened.
>
> Anyway, my problem is that I'm short a spacer. I've checked around and
> I don't see this part available new. I was able to remove the spacer
> on the other bolt, and it's a fairly thick-walled piece of tubing.
> 1.090" long, .479" OD, .355" ID.
>
> Does anyone out there have one of these from a wrecked car that they
> would let go for a couple bucks plus money for shipping? Or, where
> could I go to find a section of tubing with a .479" OD and .355" ID?
> Who would sell this stuff?
>
> This car isn't his daily driver fortunately, and I refused to put the
> new master cylinder in without the proper parts. Thus, the car sits
> with the forward end hiked proudly into the air. It's ugly right now
>

> Any help would be appreciated. If you have a pair of spacers you would
> be willing to sell(might as well buy both and have a spare..) please
> drop me an email and I'll get some money on the way.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris

96 GC - leaking master cylinder gad Dodge 2 December 6th 04 07:20 PM
'97 Voyager - Brakes MamaB Dodge 20 December 6th 04 12:26 AM
Master Cylinder - which part number should I use? Chuck Townsley VW air cooled 4 October 21st 04 03:55 PM