Master Cylinder - which part number should I use?

Old October 20th 04, 01:43 PM
Chuck Townsley

Default Master Cylinder - which part number should I use?

I am bringing back to life a wonderful 1977 Type 2 Microbus. In
doing so, I have discovered a leak in the master cylindar of the
braking system. Not really a big deal to fix, but getting the right
part seems a bit confusing.

According to my Bently service manaual the 68 through 70 microbus'
have the master cylinder bolted to the frame and that later models
attach to two studs on the power servo. In the case of my bus, it is
set up as the 68 through 70 microbus'. It has manual brakes (ie no
power servo). I think this is because this bus was supposedly build
and sold in Germany and brought to the US by an owner. Probably
someone in the military, but who knows. Although, the VIN number
shows up in list of US sold buses. So I don't know. Ok, back to the
point.

Since my 77 bus, has manual brakes. I am concerned the master
cylinder that would show up in a parts list would be for the power
brakes version and not the one I need. The pictures in the service
manual match the master cylinder that is in my bus, but those are
obviously from the 68 to 70 model.

So my question: Do I go to my parts store and order one from the 68
to 70 years or do I ask for the '77 model and take my chances? Any
suggestions?

And if someone knows the history on these "cargo" buses that were sold
in Germany, I was told in limited number, that would be interesting to
know. The chassis number is 2372108623 if that helps.

Thanks
Chuck
Old October 20th 04, 04:41 PM
John Connolly

are the front brakes discs or drums?

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.

--
Please allow up to 48 hours for a representative of Aircooled.Net to respond
to your email inquiry. If you have not received a response in over 72 hours
om...

Old October 20th 04, 04:47 PM
Speedy Jim

Chuck Townsley wrote:

> I am bringing back to life a wonderful 1977 Type 2 Microbus. In
> doing so, I have discovered a leak in the master cylindar of the
> braking system. Not really a big deal to fix, but getting the right
> part seems a bit confusing.
>
> According to my Bently service manaual the 68 through 70 microbus'
> have the master cylinder bolted to the frame and that later models
> attach to two studs on the power servo. In the case of my bus, it is
> set up as the 68 through 70 microbus'. It has manual brakes (ie no
> power servo). I think this is because this bus was supposedly build
> and sold in Germany and brought to the US by an owner. Probably
> someone in the military, but who knows. Although, the VIN number
> shows up in list of US sold buses. So I don't know. Ok, back to the
> point.
>
> Since my 77 bus, has manual brakes. I am concerned the master
> cylinder that would show up in a parts list would be for the power
> brakes version and not the one I need. The pictures in the service
> manual match the master cylinder that is in my bus, but those are
> obviously from the 68 to 70 model.
>
> So my question: Do I go to my parts store and order one from the 68
> to 70 years or do I ask for the '77 model and take my chances? Any
> suggestions?
>
> And if someone knows the history on these "cargo" buses that were sold
> in Germany, I was told in limited number, that would be interesting to
> know. The chassis number is 2372108623 if that helps.
>
> Thanks
> Chuck

Hmmmm. I went thru the parts book and there is no breakout for
'77 w/o power booster.

'68 and '69 used 211 611 021Q
'70 used 211 611 021T

I guess I'd go with the '70 part.
(They ain't cheap!)

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old October 21st 04, 02:52 PM
Karl

Measure center-to-center the 2 nipples on the master reservoir.
68-70 are 100mm. [these are the only ones that are 100mm!]
71-79 are 85mm.

Old October 21st 04, 03:55 PM
Chuck Townsley

"John Connolly" > wrote in message >...
> are the front brakes discs or drums?
>
> John
> Aircooled.Net Inc.
>
> --
> Please allow up to 48 hours for a representative of Aircooled.Net to respond
> to your email inquiry. If you have not received a response in over 72 hours
> (3 days), please send a follow up email, since it is possible that our email
> filter system may have flagged and captured your first message as a "spam"
> if it had any elements that matched typical characteristics common to
> unsolicited mail.
> "Chuck Townsley" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I am bringing back to life a wonderful 1977 Type 2 Microbus. In
> > doing so, I have discovered a leak in the master cylindar of the
> > braking system. Not really a big deal to fix, but getting the right
> > part seems a bit confusing.
> >
> > According to my Bently service manaual the 68 through 70 microbus'
> > have the master cylinder bolted to the frame and that later models
> > attach to two studs on the power servo. In the case of my bus, it is
> > set up as the 68 through 70 microbus'. It has manual brakes (ie no
> > power servo). I think this is because this bus was supposedly build
> > and sold in Germany and brought to the US by an owner. Probably
> > someone in the military, but who knows. Although, the VIN number
> > shows up in list of US sold buses. So I don't know. Ok, back to the
> > point.
> >
> > Since my 77 bus, has manual brakes. I am concerned the master
> > cylinder that would show up in a parts list would be for the power
> > brakes version and not the one I need. The pictures in the service
> > manual match the master cylinder that is in my bus, but those are
> > obviously from the 68 to 70 model.
> >
> > So my question: Do I go to my parts store and order one from the 68
> > to 70 years or do I ask for the '77 model and take my chances? Any
> > suggestions?
> >
> > And if someone knows the history on these "cargo" buses that were sold
> > in Germany, I was told in limited number, that would be interesting to
> > know. The chassis number is 2372108623 if that helps.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Chuck

The fronts are disks and the backs are drums.
Chuck

rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 10 December 18th 04 05:15 AM
New valve body part number for infamous transaxle problems at twice the cost John Hupp Saturn 3 December 8th 04 04:04 PM
'97 Voyager - Brakes MamaB Dodge 20 December 6th 04 12:26 AM
rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 10 November 1st 04 05:24 AM