1994 Honda Civic LX, 1.5

Old November 7th 05, 02:59 AM
Parolee

Default 1994 Honda Civic LX, 1.5

This dadgum Honda's radiator keeps losing coolant by the end of the day.
The coolant foams from the radiator (cap off) pretty bad. And there is a
major hissing sound when the vehicle is turned off. Hissing, as in,
pressure w/a hot coolant smell. The hissing is coming from around the
driving side area, nearest the alternator, and/or lower intake manif"
area. What the heck is this? I've tried every thing from exchanging the
radiator, thermo,stat, head gasket. ???????

Old November 7th 05, 05:19 AM
'Curly Q. Links'

Parolee wrote:

> This dadgum Honda's radiator keeps losing coolant by the end of the day.
> The coolant foams from the radiator (cap off) pretty bad. And there is a
> major hissing sound when the vehicle is turned off. Hissing, as in,
> pressure w/a hot coolant smell. The hissing is coming from around the
> driving side area, nearest the alternator, and/or lower intake manif"
> area. What the heck is this? I've tried every thing from exchanging the
> radiator, thermo,stat, head gasket. ???????

----------------------------

If your water pump is leaking, it will take out your water pump BEARING
soon, then your engine will self-destruct. Time to stop diddling around
and find the leak. Read this:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#interference

It's supposed to boil when you allow the pressure to bleed off. You
haven't been putting tap water in it, have you?

'Curly'
Old November 8th 05, 02:27 AM
TeGGeR®

"Parolee" > wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> This dadgum Honda's radiator keeps losing coolant by the end of the day.
> The coolant foams from the radiator (cap off) pretty bad. And there is a
> major hissing sound when the vehicle is turned off. Hissing, as in,
> pressure w/a hot coolant smell. The hissing is coming from around the
> driving side area, nearest the alternator, and/or lower intake manif"
> area. What the heck is this? I've tried every thing from exchanging the
> radiator, thermo,stat, head gasket. ???????

You've got a major leak somewhere, or a blown head gasket.

The location of your hiss is the water pump area.

Behind the engine is an external steel pipe (1.5" dia) that goes from the
water pump to the thermostat housing. If it corrodes, the O-ring seals can
get compromised and you'll get a leak there. You can't really see it unless
you get underneath. There are several small connections to the steel pipe.
they can corrode too.

Did you change the head gasket yourself?

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/