Redline ION test drive

Old June 24th 04, 02:57 AM
marx404

Default Redline ION test drive

Finally, I got a few minutes to drive the new ION Redline. Picked out a nice
empty winding service road and got it up into 4th gear. The shirt throw
shifter just snapped into each gear almost effortlessly. Man, I cannot
remember having such a thrill behind the wheel of a sport compact in a long
time. As it was new, I didnt want to dog on it, but what fun!! It hugged
every curve even when dropping from 3rd to 2nd gear. True toe-and heel
shifting and much enhanced steering than the regular ION and the Recaros
hugged with every curve. Just for fun I hit the brakes at 30 and she stopped
smoothly on a dime. Virtually no torque steer when accelerating. I really
felt that I had great confidence and control over this car at any speed. The
exhaust let out a sweet tone, yet it didn't resonate through the floor like
my Dynomax does in my 94 SL2. The suspension was so much smoother than what
I expected, yet firm enough to prevent body roll throughout the steep turns.
Well done Saturn! I do hope that this car is a symbol of things to come.

marx404

Old June 24th 04, 05:30 AM
Jonnie Santos

Should also be nice if it crosses over to the Cobalt (Cobalt SS?) in a
2-door version which should be lighter than the ION. Is the ION Red Line 4
wheel disc or conventional disc and drum combo?

Old June 24th 04, 11:31 AM
marx404

oh yea, 4 wheel disc and it stops on a dime. The Cobalt SS will be a good
looking model when it comes out. I wonder if it will have the same
suspension tuning as the RL and if it will go thru the same testing by the
GM Performance team.

marx404

Old June 25th 04, 06:43 AM
Lane

The thing I appreciated most in my test drives was the whine of the
supercharger being audible when you're at WOT. It's not really loud or
anything, but it's there.

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www57.pair.com/lane

Old June 25th 04, 06:45 AM
Lane

Old June 25th 04, 05:28 PM
Blah blah

Does that supercharger do anything to make that 4 banger sound any
better? Its the only production 4 banger I can think of with a
supercharger. All 4 bangers so far sound "farty" to me. Best way I can
discribe it.

In article >, -NOSPAM
says...

Old June 26th 04, 02:21 AM
marx404

Honestly, I had the A/C on and could only hear the exhaust note, which was a
sweet tone and not too loud. The Supercharger and ecotec are both pretty
quiet altogether. This car is definately a sleeper.

marx404

Old June 26th 04, 06:30 PM
Lane

I hate the rice look myself, but the RL is nicely done without being
overdone. They left the big rear wing as an option and didn't make it
standard, so that's good.

Saturn has been advertising this car. See the commercial on TV where both
the RL VUE and coupe are driving down the road next to each other and the
guys crawl out the window of one and into the other? There has also been
some nice garage-themed ads for the coupe in a variety of car magazines.
It's he http://www.saturnfans.com/Cars/ION/2...neadbuzz.shtml

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]
---