how to remove PCM from a 1992 sl2?

Old June 24th 04, 03:48 AM
TheKorn

Default how to remove PCM from a 1992 sl2?

My wife's SL2 is toast. I'd like to remove the PCM and poke around,
for no real other good reason than I'd like to poke the PCM with a
sharp stick and watch it squirm.

I've been able to get the PCM unmounted so that it's just being held
on by the wires that lead into it. So far so good. But now I'm
having trouble detaching the wire bundles from the PCM.

I've managed to figure out that there are two retaining clips for each
wire bundle (top and bottom), and was able to remove them pretty
easily. At this point, it _looks_ like the bundles should then pull
straight out of the PCM, but there's some locking mechanism that I'm
missing.

Can someone clue me in here? What am I doing wrong? (Something along
the lines of "stick a small flat headed screwdriver HERE and HERE"
would be GREAT!!)

Thanks!
Old June 24th 04, 11:56 AM
uknewwho

did you remove the bolt/screw from the middle of the harness?

Old June 25th 04, 03:04 AM
Joe Biadasz

look from the drivers side and use a 10mm socket and unscrew the bolt.. Then
the wire harnes's will pull right out.

"TheKorn" > wrote in message
om...
> My wife's SL2 is toast. I'd like to remove the PCM and poke around,
> for no real other good reason than I'd like to poke the PCM with a
> sharp stick and watch it squirm.
>

> I've been able to get the PCM unmounted so that it's just being held
> on by the wires that lead into it. So far so good. But now I'm
> having trouble detaching the wire bundles from the PCM.
>
> I've managed to figure out that there are two retaining clips for each
> wire bundle (top and bottom), and was able to remove them pretty
> easily. At this point, it _looks_ like the bundles should then pull
> straight out of the PCM, but there's some locking mechanism that I'm
> missing.
>
> Can someone clue me in here? What am I doing wrong? (Something along
> the lines of "stick a small flat headed screwdriver HERE and HERE"
> would be GREAT!!)
>
> Thanks!

---

Old June 25th 04, 04:01 AM
TheKorn

"uknewwho" > wrote in message news:<ZlyCc.8291$Lh.5500@okepread01>...
> did you remove the bolt/screw from the middle of the harness?

Good suggestion, but no...

(I wound up taking the case off the PCM by mistake/desperation while
it was still in the vehicle.)

The answer turned out to be "pull REALLY f'n hard". They _don't_ have
a secondary locking plug in there, it's simply a high tension plug.

Thanks anyway!