'74 Type 2 Bay - Seals around engine compartment

Old November 2nd 04, 10:11 AM
Ed Jones

Default '74 Type 2 Bay - Seals around engine compartment

Hello All.

How important are the seals which go around the base of the engine
compartment in a type 2 bay?

I'm looking after a camper (for my parents in law) with a newly
installed 1641cc engine, and the garage didn't fit any seals around the
new engine, so essentially you can see through the gap around the engine
through to the road.

I know that other vans have seals around the floor of the engine
compartment - should I get these seen to as soon as possible, or is it
OK not to have them?

Look forward to your replies.

Ed
Old November 2nd 04, 12:11 PM
Tim Rogers

"Ed Jones" > wrote in message
> Hello All.
>
> How important are the seals which go around the base of the engine
> compartment in a type 2 bay?

..............You need to have those seals installed Ed. In fact, I wouldn't
drive it for more than a few blocks until this is taken care of. The hot air
that exits the bottom of the engine must be kept from recirculating back up
into the engine compartment.

BTW..........don't ever let the shop that did this get near that bus again.
They're idiots.

Old November 2nd 04, 01:26 PM
Chris Perdue

>From: "Tim Rogers"

>..You need to have those seals installed Ed. In fact, I wouldn't
>drive it for more than a few blocks until this is taken care of. The hot air
>that exits the bottom of the engine must be kept from recirculating back up
>into the engine compartment.

i'm with Tim on this one 100%....(you may never hear that from me again...LOL)
-------------------
Chris Perdue
"I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in
the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the
air-cooled legend forward"
Jim Mais
Feb. 2004
Old November 2nd 04, 02:38 PM
Ed Jones

Tim Rogers wrote:
> "Ed Jones" > wrote in message
>
>>Hello All.
>>
>>How important are the seals which go around the base of the engine
>>compartment in a type 2 bay?
>>

> .............You need to have those seals installed Ed. In fact, I wouldn't
> drive it for more than a few blocks until this is taken care of. The hot air
> that exits the bottom of the engine must be kept from recirculating back up
> into the engine compartment.
>
> BTW..........don't ever let the shop that did this get near that bus again.
> They're idiots.

Thanks for the info. I'll be looking for a new garage.

I'm afraid I've already driven it a good deal further than a few blocks
(about 150 miles) - *please* tell me that I'm not likely to have broken
the new engine! What should I be looking out for - it there anything I
can do now to rectify damage that may have happened over the 150 miles
I've driven it?

Ed
Old November 2nd 04, 02:47 PM
Juper Wort

"Ed Jones" > wrote in message
.. .
> Tim Rogers wrote:
> > "Ed Jones" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Hello All.
> >>
> >>How important are the seals which go around the base of the engine
> >>compartment in a type 2 bay?
> >>

> > .............You need to have those seals installed Ed. In fact, I

wouldn't
> > drive it for more than a few blocks until this is taken care of. The hot

air
> > that exits the bottom of the engine must be kept from recirculating back

up
> > into the engine compartment.
> >
> > BTW..........don't ever let the shop that did this get near that bus

again.
> > They're idiots.
> >

> Thanks for the info. I'll be looking for a new garage.
>
> I'm afraid I've already driven it a good deal further than a few blocks
> (about 150 miles) - *please* tell me that I'm not likely to have broken
> the new engine! What should I be looking out for - it there anything I
> can do now to rectify damage that may have happened over the 150 miles
> I've driven it?
>
> Ed

I guess that if its just the foam seal, then it wont be as bad as missing
whole bits on tinwear. how big is the gap ?

James

Old November 2nd 04, 03:04 PM
Ed Jones

Juper Wort wrote:
<snip>

> I guess that if its just the foam seal, then it wont be as bad as missing
> whole bits on tinwear. how big is the gap ?
>
> James

Oh, it's only the foam seal. The gap's about an inch across all the way
around three sides of the engine.

I'm getting the foam seal fitted tomorrow - so hopefully disaster has
been averted :-)

RAMVA's great, isn't it? The folks here have all the answers!

Ed
Old November 2nd 04, 09:55 PM
Tim Rogers

"Chris Perdue" > wrote in message

> i'm with Tim on this one 100%....(you may never hear that from me

again...LOL)

................I must be doing something wrong...............heh heh

........It always makes me a little nervous when you or Travis start agreeing
with me.

timmy

Old November 2nd 04, 11:16 PM
ilambert

Stop now!Very important!Very affordable,easy to find,easy to install,shame
and a pox upon yon garage verilly.

Old November 2nd 04, 11:18 PM
Shaggie

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 15:55:24 -0500, "Tim Rogers" >
wrote:

>"Chris Perdue" > wrote in message
>>
>> i'm with Tim on this one 100%....(you may never hear that from me

>again...LOL)
>>

>...............I must be doing something wrong...............heh heh
>
>.......It always makes me a little nervous when you or Travis start agreeing
>with me.
>

>timmy

I agree that you should be nervous when that happens. :-D

--

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite,
and furthermore always carry a small snake.
Old November 3rd 04, 06:24 AM
Chris Perdue

>From: "Tim Rogers"

>..It always makes me a little nervous when you or Travis start agreeing
>with me.

well....it probably should....