code 65. Power Steering Presure Switch

Old July 11th 05, 08:05 PM

Default code 65. Power Steering Presure Switch

Engine Light came on a few weeks ago. Reports code 65. "High Pressure
Seen At High Speed"

After some research, seems that this could be because of the pressure
switch malfunctioning. If so, are replacements found at auto parts
stores? Also, where is the switch located?

97 TJ Wrangler
2.5L
Manual

Thanks,
Reed

Old July 11th 05, 08:46 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Reed,
P0065: Air Assisted Injector Control Range/Performance, from:
http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm I have no idea what it could be,
there's no mention of any of the key words in the Factory Service
Manual. Going to take someone with a license to use the shop's hundred
thousand dollar machine to find it.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 11th 05, 09:04 PM
Jeff Strickland

Power Steering? I don't think so.

First, I am not aware that the poser steeringis monitored by the OBD II
system.
Second, I think the code is really, P0650 Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)
Control Circuit Malfunction. I can't find a P0065 in my source, but Bill
says it means a fuel delivery malfunction. Hig Pressure in this instance
means fuel pressure, not power steering pressure.

P = Powertrain
0 = Generic (this is the digit zero -- not the letter "O")
0 = SAE Reserved

As you can see, the codes starting with P00 should be reserved codes and
aren't likely to be used, or displayed in the flashing of the odometer or
the Check Engine light. It might come up on the code reader tool, but I
suspect not. My guess is that the reserved codes take specialized tools to
get them out. So, I don't think you have a P0065, I think you have a P0650.

All of the P0600 codes are as follows, As you can see, they have to do with
flakey operation of the computer itself, perhaps a bad ground ...

DTC Codes - P0600-P0699 - Computer Output Circuit

P0600 Serial Communication Link Malfunction
P0601 Internal Control Module Memory Check Sum Error
P0602 Control Module Programming Error
P0603 Internal Control Module Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error
P0604 Internal Control Module Random Access Memory (RAM) Error
P0605 Internal Control Module Read Only Memory (ROM) Error
P0606 PCM Processor Fault
P0608 Control Module VSS Output "A' Malfunction
P0609 Control Module VSS Output "B" Malfunction
P0620 Generator Control Circuit Malfunction
P0621 Generator Lamp "L" Control Circuit Malfunction
P0622 Generator Field "F" Control Circuit Malfunction
P0650 Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Control Circuit Malfunction
P0654 Engine RPM Output Circuit Malfunction
P0655 Engine Hot Lamp Output Control Circuit Malfunction
P0656 Fuel Level Output Circuit Malfunction

Old July 11th 05, 09:50 PM

i will get a code reader and get the actual code. I used the
key-on-key-off x 3 mode to get the codes. They read 12, 65, 55. in that
order.
I am experiencing a problem with the idle as well, so perhaps it is
something to do with the fuelsystem?

thanks
reed

Old July 11th 05, 10:44 PM
Jeff Strickland

Well, P0065 would support your feeling that the fuel system was haywire, but
as I said earlier, P00 is a Reserved Code Series.

If the actual code was as I suspect, P0650, then this would mean that the
computer itself isn't happy with its role in life, and this could manifest
itself as an idle problem.

I like the switching-the-key-on-and-off method of getting the codes out of
an OBD I system, but if you have an OBD II vehicle, then the code reader is
without a doubt the best way to get the codes.

I only have one vehicle that is OBD II, so I use the free tool program at
AutoZone to use the reader, but if I had two or more OBD II cars, I wouldn't
hesitate to buy a reader and keep it at home. We have a friend with an OBD
II car, and my daughter has an OBD II car, if my brother in law buys a new
car, or my wife gets one, or I get one, then I can justify getting a code
reader and keeping it around. The sell them at AutoZone, and on eBay, and
the brand they have has four different models with different price points, I
get one from the mid-price. There are two in the middle, but I am not sure
if the features of the more expensive one are worth the cost. I'd get the
more expensive one if it did anything better than the cheaper stable mate, I
wouldn't get the most expensive or the least expensive because I can't see
me using the features of the most expensive, and the least expensive doesn't
do what I want.

oups.com...

Old July 12th 05, 04:07 PM

according to this,
http://www.800-923-jeep.com/techCorn...rror_codes.cfm
the code 65 means "Power steering high pressure seen at high speed.
(2.5L only)". Seeing as i have the 2.5L this is what originally made me
suspect the power steering pressure.

ill swing by autozone after work and hit up the free OBDII code scanner
tool. then i guess ill go from there.

Old July 12th 05, 07:43 PM
Jeff Strickland

OK, 65 means high pressure in the power steering.

I haven't a clue what that could mean. I would clear the codes then wait to
see if it comes back. Then, I'd devise a corrective action plan.

ups.com...

Old July 13th 05, 02:14 AM
tim bur

#65 dtc is indeed power steering switch failure code and its located on
the high pressure line of the power steering so it can bump up the idle
when turning in a parking lot and such i think they are about 12.00 us
dollars

Old July 13th 05, 02:23 AM
tim bur

my post came from the factory service manual about that code

Old July 13th 05, 02:48 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Could lead to Mike's infamous ground:
http://www.billhughes.com/temp/psPower****ch%20.pdf
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Manual to power steering Ben Jeep 6 April 3rd 05 10:40 PM
Hard steering , feels like power steering has gone south Pepper Technology 0 April 3rd 05 01:23 AM
F250 power steering wimping at low speed, low rpm. Replace, rebuild, ingore? Gonzo Technology 9 January 3rd 05 04:43 AM
power steering fluid type? Gilbert M. Kowie BMW 6 December 28th 04 09:03 PM
Power Steering Hoses Simon Audi 2 July 20th 04 07:58 PM