Honda Civic Tire question

Old April 3rd 06, 05:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Honda Civic Tire question

Hi,

I have a 99 civic sedan LX 4 door and the manufacturer reccomends 185 65 14
for tire size, but I am getting a good deal on some used tires that are 195
65 14. Is is o.k. to go with the 195's or will this be a problem?

Please advise as I need to make a quick decision, and money is part of the
issue!

Thx for all your help!

Old April 3rd 06, 05:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

lglm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a 99 civic sedan LX 4 door and the manufacturer reccomends 185 65 14
> for tire size, but I am getting a good deal on some used tires that are 195
> 65 14. Is is o.k. to go with the 195's or will this be a problem?
>
> Please advise as I need to make a quick decision, and money is part of the
> issue!
>
> Thx for all your help!

I don't see a problem at all.

Old April 3rd 06, 05:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

It's usually best to stick with OEM.

There is a very small chance that you won't be able to turn your front
wheels all the way in either direction because the larger tires will
scrape against the cars wheel wells.

East-

Old April 3rd 06, 05:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

lglm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a 99 civic sedan LX 4 door and the manufacturer reccomends 185 65 14
> for tire size, but I am getting a good deal on some used tires that are 195
> 65 14. Is is o.k. to go with the 195's or will this be a problem?
>
> Please advise as I need to make a quick decision, and money is part of the
> issue!
>
> Thx for all your help!

if your rims are steel, they're only 5.5" wide, and that's getting a
little skinny for a tire that size and imo, it makes the handling
wishy-washy. if they're 6" alloys however, you'll be fine.
Old April 3rd 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Thx for all your help guys

LP

Old April 3rd 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

lglm wrote:
> I have a 99 civic sedan LX 4 door and the manufacturer reccomends 185 65 14
> for tire size, but I am getting a good deal on some used tires that are 195
> 65 14. Is is o.k. to go with the 195's or will this be a problem?

There's a neat tire size calculator he
http://www.net-comber.com/tirecalc.html

According to that, your new tire radius will be about 1/4 inch larger
than now. Which means your speedometer and odometer will read about 2%
under the actual values.

Old April 4th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Bucky wrote:
> lglm wrote:
>> I have a 99 civic sedan LX 4 door and the manufacturer reccomends 185 65 14
>> for tire size, but I am getting a good deal on some used tires that are 195
>> 65 14. Is is o.k. to go with the 195's or will this be a problem?

> There's a neat tire size calculator he
> http://www.net-comber.com/tirecalc.html
>
> According to that, your new tire radius will be about 1/4 inch larger
> than now. Which means your speedometer and odometer will read about 2%
> under the actual values.

larger radius means youll be going faster than indicated, by 2%. since
the civic speedo is anywhere from 5-10% high, youll just be closer to
actual speed by 3 to 8%
Old April 4th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

lglm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a 99 civic sedan LX 4 door and the manufacturer reccomends 185 65 14
> for tire size, but I am getting a good deal on some used tires that are 195
> 65 14. Is is o.k. to go with the 195's or will this be a problem?
>
> Please advise as I need to make a quick decision, and money is part of the
> issue!
>
> Thx for all your help!

i went "plus one" from OEM to 195/60/14" with no problems. made a BIG
difference in handling. now i can take freeway onramps at speeds that
make my girlfriend scream, and the tires dont squeal!
Old April 4th 06, 08:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

jim beam wrote:

> if your rims are steel, they're only 5.5" wide, and that's getting a
> little skinny for a tire that size and imo, it makes the handling
> wishy-washy. if they're 6" alloys however, you'll be fine.

For a '99 Civic most likely the steel rims are only 5" wide.