project time lhd -> rhd

Old November 3rd 09, 07:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

Default project time lhd -> rhd

hi,

its getting time for another project and i am thinking of doing a rhd
conversion on a to be obtained miata. has anyone done this? i havent
found any detailed sites which discuss a project like this, are there
ones i missed?

Are there any brit's on the list who would like to help me obtain
spares or at least get me i contact with miata "boneyards" in
britian? i think shipping from au/nz/jdm/th would be excessive

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++

from pictures and thinking about it, it seems the following would be
required

dash
wiring harnesses eng/interior
rack and pinion

the following items maybe ambidextious and just need to be re-routed

hood release (?)
steering wheel (?)
pedals/linkage (?)
master cyl (?)

i wonder if things like battery placement for weight distribution
needs to be addressed?
your constructive comments are welcomed

i appreciate your assistance on this,

peter in ct
former owner of a '63 rhd mini 850

Old November 4th 09, 12:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
NetMax

On Nov 3, 2:19*pm, peter > wrote:
> hi,
>
> its getting time for another project and i am thinking of doing a rhd
> conversion on a to be obtained miata. *has anyone done this? *i havent
> found any detailed sites which discuss a project like this, are there
> ones i missed?
>
> Are there any brit's on the list who would like to help me obtain
> spares or at least get me i contact with miata "boneyards" in
> britian? *i think shipping from au/nz/jdm/th would be excessive
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++
>
> from pictures and thinking about it, it seems the following would be
> required
>
> dash
> wiring harnesses eng/interior
> rack and pinion
>
> the following items maybe ambidextious and just need to be re-routed
>
> hood release * (?)
> steering wheel (?)
> pedals/linkage (?)
> master cyl * * * *(?)
>
> i wonder if things like battery placement for weight distribution
> needs to be addressed?
> your constructive comments are welcomed
>
> i appreciate your assistance on this,
>
> peter in ct
> former owner of a '63 rhd mini 850

I don't have any help to offer you, however I can't resist asking...
why would you want to do this?
Old November 4th 09, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Excellent question IMHO ;-) Maybe he's retired and just needs a Miata
related project. They don't break much so he's bored?! Why not buy a classic
British roadster to keep your hands busy and a Miata to drive?

Seriously though, if you wanted a RHD Miata, why on earth wouldn't you just
buy one? Wouldn't the trouble and the expense be less? If it's just for the
challenge, seems like I could think of challenging projects that would
result in an improved Miata. Maybe to Peter, a 'unique' Miata (a one of a
kind, hand built conversion) IS an 'improved' Miata! I believe I might be
on to something there............

clip:

Old November 4th 09, 04:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

peter, here is a thread from the rx-7club forum that shows the difference in
the firewall that would need to be addressed. of course they are dealing
with at a rx-7 and not a miata but i would image the issues are pretty much
the same.
http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=860596

Old November 4th 09, 05:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> Seriously though, if you wanted a RHD Miata, why on earth wouldn't you just
> buy one?

MX-5s for RHD markets may not meet U.S. safety and emissions regs, or at
least not have the appropriate documentation. Which just illustrates, I
suppose, that there's more than one way to build a $40,000 Miata.

Personally, for that kind of money I think it would be more amusing to
drop a Miata off at FM for a V-8 transplant. Might even be cheaper.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old November 5th 09, 02:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Annie and Chris Lang

Hi Peter

As a 'Brit on the list' you might like to try MX5 Heaven
:- http://www.mx5heaven.co.uk/

or Autolink
;- http://www.autolinkmx5.com/mazda-mx-5-parts-8-c.asp

Or just browse through the UK MX5 club forum's on
:- http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/forums/

Good luck

Regards
Chris
Old November 7th 09, 06:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

On Nov 3, 8:49*pm, "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
> Excellent question IMHO ;-) Maybe he's retired and just needs a Miata
> related project. They don't break much so he's bored?!

i have seen pix of rhd's and i like the look...something different.

>Why not buy a classic
> British roadster to keep your hands busy and a Miata to drive?

i have had brit cars/bikes....i find it easier to just whack my thumb
with a ball-peen hammer

> Seriously though, if you wanted a RHD Miata, why on earth wouldn't you just
> buy one? Wouldn't the trouble and the expense be less?

unlikily...i suspect an imported mx5 would not meet us safty/emission
reg's. with an existing north american car, i would not have to
worry.

> If it's just for the
> challenge, seems like I could think of challenging projects that would
> result in an improved Miata. Maybe to Peter, a 'unique' Miata (a one of a
> kind, hand built conversion) *IS an 'improved' Miata! I believe I might be
> on to something there............

yes, i do think you are on something

peter
Old November 7th 09, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

On Nov 3, 11:09*pm, "Christopher Muto" > wrote:
> peter, here is a thread from the rx-7club forum that shows the difference in
> the firewall that would need to be addressed. *of course they are dealing
> with at a rx-7 and not a miata but i would image the issues are pretty much
> the same.http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=860596

ahh, useful info.

thanks i'll look at this tomorrow.

peter
Old November 7th 09, 06:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

On Nov 5, 9:19*am, Annie and Chris Lang >
wrote:
> Hi Peter
>
> As a 'Brit on the list' you might like to try MX5 Heaven
> :-http://www.mx5heaven.co.uk/
>
> or Autolink
> ;-http://www.autolinkmx5.com/mazda-mx-5-parts-8-c.asp
>
> Or just browse through the UK MX5 club forum's on
> :-http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/forums/

more useful info.

thanks,
peter
Old November 7th 09, 06:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

On Nov 4, 12:09*am, Lanny Chambers > wrote:
> In article >,
> *"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
>
> > Seriously though, if you wanted a RHD Miata, why on earth wouldn't you just
> > buy one?

> MX-5s for RHD markets may not meet U.S. safety and emissions regs, or at
> least not have the appropriate documentation.

exactly.

Which just illustrates, I
> suppose, that there's more than one way to build a $40,000 Miata.

if it were anywhere near $40k usd, i would be looking at an m5

> Personally, for that kind of money I think it would be more amusing to
> drop a Miata off at FM for a V-8 transplant. Might even be cheaper.

with the parts i listed, i would not expect more than $2k usd, ( and
expect less), plus time spent.
hmmmm, a rhd 5.0 HO...now there is a thought

peter