Welding my muffler question

Old March 14th 05, 03:13 PM
Searcher1

Default Welding my muffler question

I have a 97 XLT, the two brackets holding the rear of my muffler rusted
away. These brackets are attached to the muffler itself and in order to
repalce them with new I need to purchase a new muffler. But there is nothing
wrong with my muffler itself.
My question is what precautions do I need to follow in order to weld the
brackets back to the muffler? I know that it would only take a quick tack,
but with all the sensors I am worried. I know that I have to disconnect the
neg. batt. cable, is there anything else that I should do. I don't want to
open the can of worms just for two brackets.

Searcher1

Old March 14th 05, 03:45 PM
John Riggs

Why not just get two clamps suffiently oversized to go over the pipe and
hook them back up? If the old clamps are that rusted, they should knock off
relatively easy, but on the other hand, if you have rust on the outside, you
can be assured you have just as much rust on the inside, and you'll be
replacing that muffler in a few miles anyway. Mufflers are cheap, and you
can get an OEM replacement at your local parts store, so less hassle with
fit up.

Old March 14th 05, 03:58 PM
Searcher1

Actually, the clamps that I am referring to are hangers. One on each side of
the oval muffler (left and right at the rear, not end to end).
Each hanger clamp has a rubber "shock" the gets attached to the body. It is
actually the rods that are attached to the muffler that rusted away. It
seems that the muffler had these two rods with balls ate the end you slip
the ball ends through the rubber (this just sounds SO wrong) shocks. I hope
this makes it a bit more clear. Sorry for not saying this in the first place

Searcher1

Old March 14th 05, 04:30 PM
John Riggs

Oh, okay, which brings you to the second half of my reply. Replace the
muffler with an OEM replacement from AutoZone, Pep Boys, or some other
similar parts house. They are relatively cheap, quick to replace, and you
won't have to worry about welding up rod to your muffler.
Now, if you are insistent on welding, use a brazing torch and braze new
rod in place, but make sure you have the work adequately clear of anything
that can catch fire, or have a welding blanket handy to shield what you
don't want to ignite....or use a MIG welder with a flux core wire, .....or
you can use an arc welder (stick weld ) using a 3/64" 5010, 6014, or 7013
rod @ 90 amp.

I've recommended the welding as a last resort, AND in the orders least
likely to blow holes in your "still good" muffler. Personally, this approach
is penny wise and pound foolish, but it's your choice.

Old March 14th 05, 05:12 PM
Searcher1

Ok. thanks, I will call around today and see what a new one will cost me. I
was under the impression that this muffler would cost upwards of a 100
bucks. The muffler on the truck now is still nice and shiney. Its only these
thin metal rods that are rusted. I would hate to throw good money away for
this hanger assembly. I do have a MIG welder and fixing other items around
the house has been a great learning experience. I have "blown Holes" in the
beginning but I think I am getting better at determining the amps and wire
speed. I figured that a quick tap joint would reattatch the muffler to the
hangers and thus save me money.

Searcher1

Old March 14th 05, 06:53 PM
Big Shoe

If the shiny muffler is galvanized, be careful not to breathe vapors
generated while welding. Also the heat of welding will remove the
galvanized protection from that area.