Alternator Replacement 84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Old February 12th 05, 08:32 PM
Jay Pique

Default Alternator Replacement 84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

So I've got a bad alternator and or a shot battery. I'm guessing it's
both. If I'm to replace the alternator I think I'd rather get one
that's relatively heavy duty. I'm not planning on putting multiple
batteries in, but I'd like to power a little bit stronger stereo than
the stock cassette deck.

I've been googling a bit, and have seen HO alternators, rebuilt
alternators and plenty of batteries. I'm also wondering if I should
be looking at anything else. The electrical system (including
alternator) is under warranty, so I'm hoping to get it all taken care
of in one swoop.

JP
Old February 12th 05, 08:53 PM
Mike Romain

Just a heads up for you if it has V belts. A polished up belt can slip
while being tight which acts like an alternator only ever charging up
the battery 1/4 way or so.

I test them by taking a cold off engine and seeing if I can hand slip
the alternator pulley. If I can make it slip by hand, it is shot and I
need a new belt. The alternator takes a few HP to spin up under load
and if it hand slips it won't charge right.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 12th 05, 09:24 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Jay,
It's the off road lights and winch, that use the power. Unless your
planning on a bunch of fifteen inch load speakers. Have your battery and
alternator check at your local parts store, and know for sure. And I've
applied the warranty towards an upgrade, ask.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 12th 05, 11:46 PM
Jay Pique

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 15:53:49 -0500, Mike Romain >
wrote:

>Just a heads up for you if it has V belts. A polished up belt can slip
>while being tight which acts like an alternator only ever charging up
>the battery 1/4 way or so.

I'll check that for sure. I noticed that when I turn the lights on,
the ammeter dips to the negative (indicating it's drawing power from
the battery) and also dips slightly when I really rev the engine a
little. Should that lead me to believe it's the alternator?

Is this something I could test myself if I had the right tools that
aren't ungodly expensive?

JP

Old February 12th 05, 11:48 PM
Jay Pique

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:24:47 -0800, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III
> wrote:

>Hi Jay,
> It's the off road lights and winch, that use the power. Unless your
>planning on a bunch of fifteen inch load speakers. Have your battery and
>alternator check at your local parts store, and know for sure. And I've
>applied the warranty towards an upgrade, ask.

No winch yet, but when I turn on the lights the ammeter dips and stays
dipped until I turn them off again. It doesn't kill the car entirely
- I can still continue to drive.

I'm thinking a HO alternator and a deep cycle battery.

JP

http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 13th 05, 12:24 AM
Mike Romain

You are talking a slipping belt, rev it too quick or load the alternator
and it slips....

Mike

Old February 14th 05, 06:42 PM
popeyeball

Jay,
All above suggestions are good. I would fill battery with distilled
water, disconect cables and charge up on a tricle charge. If tricle
(about 2 amps) doesn't do it, give it shock with a higher amperage to
knock corrosion off plates. Make sure battery does not heat up to much
(I would do this outside - hopefully in a garage). Re-connect battery
and see if it'll start. To check belts get a bar of good ole Fels
Nappa and 'very carefully' apply to the underside of belts. This will
give you a good/ better grip temporarilly (at least I used to do this
when I was a kid and couldn't afford to replace parts). See if your
amp meter improves any. Next I would start checking voltage drops for
above mentioned items. Good Luck and be safe.
Steve

What is a TJ? Brian Foster Jeep 23 January 22nd 05 06:06 AM
Jeep VS others Elliot Westcott Chrysler 64 December 19th 04 02:22 PM
Chrysler to show Jeep pickup and "FirePower" sports car concepts inDetroit MoPar Man Chrysler 4 December 10th 04 07:45 PM