Aftermarket seat heaters - 540i

Old March 15th 07, 07:04 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
BobP

Default Aftermarket seat heaters - 540i

Ladies & Gents,

I have a 1999 M3 convertible that's currently in the shop getting a
new head gasket and needs some other work done as well. I'm mulling
trading her in and getting a low-mileage 2002 540i that is priced
pretty fairly. The only thing the car doesn't have is heated seats
and I've gotten very used to them in the M3, as has my wife.

In the interests of continued domestic tranquility I'll probably want
to install aftermarket seat heaters. Is there any reason to think
that the multi-adjustable seats in the 540i won't be able to be
retrofitted? Any particular brand of aftermarket heaters you'd
recommend? And is there any reason I couldn't buy an OEM switch to
use to control the seat heaters in keeping with the car's interior
styling?

Thanks!

Rancho Bob

Old March 15th 07, 08:07 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
admin[_1_]

BobP wrote:

> In the interests of continued domestic tranquility I'll probably want
> to install aftermarket seat heaters. Is there any reason to think
> that the multi-adjustable seats in the 540i won't be able to be
> retrofitted?

Actually - yes. The stock seat heaters have holes in them in strategic
spots and gaps in the heating elements to allow the hog-ring retainers
to pass through them. The hog-ring retainers hook up to little metal
rods sewn into the leather cover that make it have the nice pleats and
tucks. Chances of matching up gaps in your aftermarket seat heaters
is about slim to none.

And the stock seat heater is also designed to be used with the pressure
mat in the passengers seat for the air-bags. Aftermarket? Nah.. ain't
gonna work.

> Any particular brand of aftermarket heaters you'd
> recommend?

I'd recommend finding a different 540 that comes with the BMW
brand seat heaters.

> And is there any reason I couldn't buy an OEM switch to
> use to control the seat heaters in keeping with the car's interior
> styling?

The switch is a low current toggling switch that connects to the
seat-heater control circuitry. It doesn't take the full current of
the heated seats - a control module does that. No way to use the
stock buttons/switches with aftermarket.

BMW used to sell kits to retrofit cars with the heated seats..
problem was - after buying the kit and paying to have it installed
it was cheaper to sell the car and buy one with the heated seats.

Even the best upholstery shop is going to take 2-3 hours PER seat
to disassemble them, install heating elements and reassemble them.
Figure that x the rate of labor in your area + parts + paying someone
to wire the whole thing up.

Be LOTS easier and cheaper to just find a car equipped like you
want. It's not like E39/540s are in short supply..

Old March 15th 07, 09:56 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Fred W

BobP wrote:
> Ladies & Gents,
>
> I have a 1999 M3 convertible that's currently in the shop getting a
> new head gasket and needs some other work done as well. I'm mulling
> trading her in and getting a low-mileage 2002 540i that is priced
> pretty fairly. The only thing the car doesn't have is heated seats
> and I've gotten very used to them in the M3, as has my wife.
>
> In the interests of continued domestic tranquility I'll probably want
> to install aftermarket seat heaters. Is there any reason to think
> that the multi-adjustable seats in the 540i won't be able to be
> retrofitted? Any particular brand of aftermarket heaters you'd
> recommend? And is there any reason I couldn't buy an OEM switch to
> use to control the seat heaters in keeping with the car's interior
> styling?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rancho Bob

I would think that would be a major PITA. I'd either ditch the domestic
unit or find a car that has the heaters already.

--
-Fred W
Old March 15th 07, 09:57 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
BobP

On Mar 15, 1:07 pm, admin > wrote:
> BobP wrote:
> > In the interests of continued domestic tranquility I'll probably want
> > to install aftermarket seat heaters. Is there any reason to think
> > that the multi-adjustable seats in the 540i won't be able to be
> > retrofitted?

> Actually - yes. The stock seat heaters have holes in them in strategic
> spots and gaps in the heating elements to allow the hog-ring retainers
> to pass through them. The hog-ring retainers hook up to little metal
> rods sewn into the leather cover that make it have the nice pleats and
> tucks. Chances of matching up gaps in your aftermarket seat heaters
> is about slim to none.
><SNIP lots of thought-provoking input. Thanks >

> Be LOTS easier and cheaper to just find a car equipped like you
> want. It's not like E39/540s are in short supply..

You might be surprised. I checked BMWUSA.com and they show 3 manual
tranny CPO 540i available. Autotrader.com shows 7 of 'em in the USA
with less than 30,000 miles. Three of those are within 50 miles of me
and the rest are on the East Coast.

Which isn't to be snotty at all--I really appreciate the time and
thought put into your reply. I'll clearly have to look deeper into
this before I plunge. It *shouldn't* be that difficult. That it is
is simply an annoyance, eh?

Rancho Bob

Old March 16th 07, 09:02 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
adder1969

On Mar 15, 9:57 pm, "BobP" >
> Which isn't to be snotty at all--I really appreciate the time and
> thought put into your reply. I'll clearly have to look deeper into
> this before I plunge. It *shouldn't* be that difficult. That it is
> is simply an annoyance, eh?

Just keep a look out for some heated seats on ebay or elsewhere. I
mean, you're going to have a little while before you need them.

Old March 16th 07, 11:51 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
John Carrier

"adder1969" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Mar 15, 9:57 pm, "BobP" >
>> Which isn't to be snotty at all--I really appreciate the time and
>> thought put into your reply. I'll clearly have to look deeper into
>> this before I plunge. It *shouldn't* be that difficult. That it is
>> is simply an annoyance, eh?
>>

> Just keep a look out for some heated seats on ebay or elsewhere. I
> mean, you're going to have a little while before you need them.

They can also be retrofitted.

R / John

It has removed 375 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Old March 16th 07, 04:10 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
E Brown

On 15 Mar 2007 12:04:56 -0700, "BobP" >
wrote:
>In the interests of continued domestic tranquility I'll probably want
>to install aftermarket seat heaters. Is there any reason to think
>that the multi-adjustable seats in the 540i won't be able to be
>retrofitted? Any particular brand of aftermarket heaters you'd
>recommend? And is there any reason I couldn't buy an OEM switch to
>use to control the seat heaters in keeping with the car's interior
>styling?

Fitting aftermarket kits to look like OEM isn't likely. For that,
your best options are to buy used seats with the heaters in them.
You'll still need the wiring harness and a new switch box with the
buttons for the new seats added.
You can also get a retrofit kit from BMW with all the necessary
parts for ~$500 and put them in your original seats. You can do this
yourself if you're handy - it's a PITA, but it's one weekend out of
your life and you'll save a chunk of money - and you'll have the car
you want.
epbrown
--
How can you know where I'm at if you haven't been where I been?
Can you see where I'm coming from? "How I Could Just Kill A Man" Cypress Hill
Old March 16th 07, 07:20 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
admin[_1_]

BobP wrote:
>> Be LOTS easier and cheaper to just find a car equipped like you
>> want. It's not like E39/540s are in short supply..

> You might be surprised. I checked BMWUSA.com and they show 3 manual
> tranny CPO 540i available. Autotrader.com shows 7 of 'em in the USA
> with less than 30,000 miles. Three of those are within 50 miles of me
> and the rest are on the East Coast.

Ah - manual tranny and very low miles = rare. The three that are within
50 miles of you - none of them have heated seats (actually find it
surprising that heated seats aren't on every 540 - they came really
loaded up from what I saw..)?

> Which isn't to be snotty at all--I really appreciate the time and
> thought put into your reply. I'll clearly have to look deeper into
> this before I plunge. It *shouldn't* be that difficult. That it is
> is simply an annoyance, eh?

OK.. if you go to:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...& hg=52&fg=95

You'll see some of the kit that BMW sells to retrofit the heated seats
to a non-heated-seat car. They mention it's sold only with the cover and
switching center.. the cover may be the leather covers for the seats,
which are REALLY expensive. Dunno if these are absolutely needed or not.
And this doesn't include the switching center. $122*/seat to start +
whatever else is needed + installation.

It might be worth your while to talk to a BMW dealer and see if any in
your area have experience installing the heated-seat retrofit.. or at
least have them look it up on the BMW computer and see how many hours
labor is involved.

* = cost on RealOEM is frequently wrong - you'd have to call a dealer
and get the actual parts price using the PN..

> Rancho Bob

HTH..
Old March 16th 07, 10:49 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
BobP

On Mar 16, 12:20 pm, admin > wrote:
> BobP wrote:
> >> Be LOTS easier and cheaper to just find a car equipped like you
> >> want. It's not like E39/540s are in short supply..

> Ah - manual tranny and very low miles = rare. The three that are within
> 50 miles of you - none of them have heated seats (actually find it
> surprising that heated seats aren't on every 540 - they came really
> loaded up from what I saw..)?

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised too. You'd think it'd almost be standard on
that kind of model.

> OK.. if you go to:http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...id=47588&btnr=...
>
> You'll see some of the kit that BMW sells to retrofit the heated seats
> to a non-heated-seat car. They mention it's sold only with the cover and
> switching center.. the cover may be the leather covers for the seats,
> which are REALLY expensive. Dunno if these are absolutely needed or not.
> And this doesn't include the switching center. $122*/seat to start +
> whatever else is needed + installation.
>
> It might be worth your while to talk to a BMW dealer and see if any in
> your area have experience installing the heated-seat retrofit.. or at
> least have them look it up on the BMW computer and see how many hours
> labor is involved.
>
> * = cost on RealOEM is frequently wrong - you'd have to call a dealer
> and get the actual parts price using the PN..
>
> > Rancho Bob

> HTH..

It does indeed and sadly this is starting to look like a more pressing
item. My M3 is in the shop for a blown head gasket. Good news: The
gasket is now fixed. Bad news: She is now randomly misfiring. *sigh*

I don't mind having a car shipped to me after it's inspected by an
independent third party. I did that for the M--bought it from a
dealer in Washington state and drove it down Highway 1 to SoCal. The
only 540i's that I see are a long ways away.

I've printed that page and I'll take it to my friendly dealer to see
what they have to say. The '02 local might be the right answer if it
can be done for a reasonable cost. Or even if I can get the seller to
do the install.

*mull, mull, mull*

Thanks a ton for your help!

Rancho "It's only money" Bob

e32 Jet Heaters Rick[_9_] BMW 2 January 9th 07 11:41 PM
CJ5 Heaters Frenchy Jeep 20 November 12th 05 03:29 AM
aftermarket seat for Element to seat 5? [email protected] Honda 2 August 21st 05 05:09 AM
Gasoline Heaters Iowa883 VW air cooled 3 August 12th 05 07:31 PM
Seat Heaters on the fritz Hank Jeep 2 May 13th 05 04:06 AM