Ping: Elle, Michael, Teggar...

Old June 6th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Ping: Elle, Michael, Teggar...

On my "antique" '83 Honda Civic 1300 FE, I can find no reference on
changing the timing belt other than an "inspection" at 60K (miles). I
have the factory manual and owner's manual.

The current belt is new but would I be correct to assume that 60K is a
good time to change it out?

BTW, I'm still driving it (in shakedown mode) and so far, all seems to
be working after a nearly two year rehab effort...

JT
Old June 6th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Elle, Michael, Teggar...

From the book side, neither the UK site's factory service
manuals, Chilton's, nor Autozone.com's free online manuals
specify an interval for the timing belt.

The following say 60k miles for your Civic:
www.gates.com
and
http://www.motorwatch.com/automotive...imingBelts.pdf
These two site says it's the same for similarly aged
Preludes and Accords.

Wasn't 60k miles the standard for many makes of vehicles of
this era?

The timing belt sells for only $21 at Majestic. Perhaps it's
a flimsier design appropriate for a smaller engine, but its
fatigue life is shorter as a result?

I suppose there's a good mechanical explanation for why the
mileage interval is so short and why there's no time
interval. I have been lurking at another Honda forum lately:
http://www.honda-tech.com/ . If you want more of an
explanation, you might register there and ask. I think it's
free.

Your project sounds like fun. Me, I'm happy having just
installed three new bushings in the (older, more rusted)
rear control arm of my 91 Civic within 1.5 hours (hurrah!).

"Grumpy AuContraire" > wrote

Old June 6th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Elle wrote:

> From the book side, neither the UK site's factory service
> manuals, Chilton's, nor Autozone.com's free online manuals
> specify an interval for the timing belt.

Thanks for confirming this. At my point in life, I have been known to
overlook (forget) things. I ain't goin' nutz after all!

> The following say 60k miles for your Civic:
> www.gates.com
> and
> http://www.motorwatch.com/automotive...imingBelts.pdf
> These two site says it's the same for similarly aged
> Preludes and Accords.
>
> Wasn't 60k miles the standard for many makes of vehicles of
> this era?

I believe it is. Besides, it's about the same time that the water pumps
tend to go belly up.

> The timing belt sells for only $21 at Majestic. Perhaps it's
> a flimsier design appropriate for a smaller engine, but its
> fatigue life is shorter as a result?

Good question but no answer from here...

> I suppose there's a good mechanical explanation for why the
> mileage interval is so short and why there's no time
> interval. I have been lurking at another Honda forum lately:
> http://www.honda-tech.com/ . If you want more of an
> explanation, you might register there and ask. I think it's
> free.
>
> Your project sounds like fun. Me, I'm happy having just
> installed three new bushings in the (older, more rusted)
> rear control arm of my 91 Civic within 1.5 hours (hurrah!).

It was a languishing project until last fall when gas prices pushed the
$3 level after Katrina. The engine had already been swapped and all
that remained was hooking all the stuff up. I got a price of $250 (a
bargain) from a local independent shop to do that but when no progress
was being made after the car being there for a couple of months, I took
the task on my own.

I am now driving the car on a regular basis and it's getting 30+ mpg at
present. I am sure that some of the emissions stuff isn't working
properly and probably a few hoses are hooked up wrong. But sooner or
later, I nail down as much as I can and proudly be giving every gas
station that I pass the single finger salute!

I have about a grand (including the cost of the car + parts car) into
this and I like the relatively simplicity compared to today's vehicles.
Besides, it has neat racing side trim that was possibly installed by the
original dealer here in town and the original radio still works fine...

<G>

JT

Old June 7th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 83 1.3L Civic [was Elle, Michael, Teggar...]

"Grumpy AuContraire" > wrote
> It was a languishing project until last fall when gas
> prices pushed the
> $3 level after Katrina. The engine had already been
> swapped and all
> that remained was hooking all the stuff up. I got a price
> of $250 (a
> bargain) from a local independent shop to do that but when
> no progress
> was being made after the car being there for a couple of
> months, I took
> the task on my own.
>
> I am now driving the car on a regular basis and it's
> getting 30+ mpg at
> present. I am sure that some of the emissions stuff isn't
> working
> properly and probably a few hoses are hooked up wrong.
> But sooner or
> later, I nail down as much as I can and proudly be giving
> every gas
> station that I pass the single finger salute!
>
> I have about a grand (including the cost of the car +
> parts car) into
> this and I like the relatively simplicity compared to
> today's vehicles.
> Besides, it has neat racing side trim that was possibly
> installed by the
> original dealer here in town and the original radio still
> works fine...
>
> <G>

Care to share a picture? Tegger might be willing to put it
up at his site, or I'll throw it up at my site for a
temporary period.

Old June 7th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Grumpy AuContraire > wrote in
:

> On my "antique" '83 Honda Civic 1300 FE, I can find no reference on
> changing the timing belt other than an "inspection" at 60K (miles). I
> have the factory manual and owner's manual.
>
> The current belt is new but would I be correct to assume that 60K is a
> good time to change it out?
>
> BTW, I'm still driving it (in shakedown mode) and so far, all seems to
> be working after a nearly two year rehab effort...

60K was probably for the original belt. New OEM belts are much better made
than those in 1983, and you can likely go by the modern 7yr/105K limit
(provided the belt you buy is actually new and isn't just NOS).

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old June 7th 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Elle wrote:

> "Grumpy AuContraire" > wrote
> > It was a languishing project until last fall when gas
> > prices pushed the
> > $3 level after Katrina. The engine had already been
> > swapped and all
> > that remained was hooking all the stuff up. I got a price
> > of $250 (a
> > bargain) from a local independent shop to do that but when
> > no progress
> > was being made after the car being there for a couple of
> > months, I took
> > the task on my own.
> >
> > I am now driving the car on a regular basis and it's
> > getting 30+ mpg at
> > present. I am sure that some of the emissions stuff isn't
> > working
> > properly and probably a few hoses are hooked up wrong.
> > But sooner or
> > later, I nail down as much as I can and proudly be giving
> > every gas
> > station that I pass the single finger salute!
> >
> > I have about a grand (including the cost of the car +
> > parts car) into
> > this and I like the relatively simplicity compared to
> > today's vehicles.
> > Besides, it has neat racing side trim that was possibly
> > installed by the
> > original dealer here in town and the original radio still
> > works fine...
> >
> > <G>

> Care to share a picture? Tegger might be willing to put it
> up at his site, or I'll throw it up at my site for a
> temporary period.

Sure, I'll get a couple to you in the next day or so. They'll be small
file size JPEGs.

JT
Old June 7th 06, 12:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Grumpy AuContraire > wrote in
:

> Elle wrote:
>>
>> From the book side, neither the UK site's factory service
>> manuals, Chilton's, nor Autozone.com's free online manuals
>> specify an interval for the timing belt.
>>

> Thanks for confirming this. At my point in life, I have been known to
> overlook (forget) things. I ain't goin' nutz after all!

Your owner's manual specifies the timing belt change interval, as do all
factory shop manuals. It is in the same maintenance table as all other
maintenance items.

That aftermarket sources do not specify a change interval speaks more to
the quality (or lack thereof) of those sources than anything else.

Old June 7th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"TeGGeR®" > wrote
Re the timing belt change interval for a 1.3L 1983 Civic--
> Your owner's manual specifies the timing belt change
> interval, as do all
> factory shop manuals. It is in the same maintenance table
> as all other
> maintenance items.

Would you please find the page in the UK site's 1984-87
Civic factory shop manual that specifies the timing belt
change interval?

I don't see it here
http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/m...2sb200/4-5.pdf

or here

http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/m...2sb200/4-7.pdf

Old June 7th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"Grumpy AuContraire" > wrote
Elle
>> Care to share a picture? Tegger might be willing to put
>> it
>> up at his site, or I'll throw it up at my site for a
>> temporary period.

> Sure, I'll get a couple to you in the next day or so.
> They'll be small
> file size JPEGs.

Great! I'll make it the "Honda of the Month" at my site and
post some of the history you gave on it. I love the look of
those older Civics. :-)

Old June 7th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Elle wrote:

> "Grumpy AuContraire" > wrote
> Elle
> >> Care to share a picture? Tegger might be willing to put
> >> it
> >> up at his site, or I'll throw it up at my site for a
> >> temporary period.

> > Sure, I'll get a couple to you in the next day or so.
> > They'll be small
> > file size JPEGs.

> Great! I'll make it the "Honda of the Month" at my site and
> post some of the history you gave on it. I love the look of
> those older Civics. :-)

I have to take new pictures as I have re-installed the original grill
(which I found under the folded down rear seat). The paint is basically
shot, the seats need to be re-done or replaced, (I know where there's a
decent pair of Accord buckets) but the body is basically rust free.

I'll write a brief history on how I acquired the car as well. Look for
it this evening.

JT