I can't identify this transmission! Please help!

Old July 9th 05, 10:42 PM
Gregg M via CarKB.com

Default I can't identify this transmission! Please help!

It's in a E 150 van
On it is stamped RF-E9DP-7006-AA

And I found a metal tag on it which reads
PKB BA
024311 A13
F2UP AB

I thought it was a C6, but I am having doubts now. Can anyone help?
Old July 9th 05, 11:31 PM
Louis M. Brown

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 21:42:07 GMT, "Gregg M via CarKB.com"
> wrote:

>It's in a E 150 van
>On it is stamped RF-E9DP-7006-AA
>
>And I found a metal tag on it which reads
>PKB BA
>024311 A13
>F2UP AB
>
>I thought it was a C6, but I am having doubts now. Can anyone help?

That looks like it's a AOD.

How long is the transmission, and what shape is the pan?

If it looks like this:

____
| |
| |
\___/

That's an AOD.

If it looks like this:

____
| |
| _|
|_|

Then that's a C-6,

(The 'top' of each diagram represents the front of the car, )

-LMB

Old July 9th 05, 11:45 PM
Gregg M via CarKB.com

Thanks so much for responding, right now I am dead in the water,.....

According to your picture it's an AOD,...but would they have put an AOD
tranmission in a 1992 conversion van with a tow package? I am only asking
because I do not know the AOD, and evidently I don't kow the C6 either, but I
was under the imporession that the C6 was one of the larger transmissions.

Thanks for all the info you can give me,.....
Old July 10th 05, 12:51 AM
Louis M. Brown

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 22:45:19 GMT, "Gregg M via CarKB.com"
> wrote:

>Thanks so much for responding, right now I am dead in the water,.....
>
>According to your picture it's an AOD,...but would they have put an AOD
>tranmission in a 1992 conversion van with a tow package? I am only asking
>because I do not know the AOD, and evidently I don't kow the C6 either, but I
>was under the imporession that the C6 was one of the larger transmissions.
>
>Thanks for all the info you can give me,.....

Actually, yea, the AOD has been serving in vehicles since 1980, and it
was phased out in 1994 (at least, the TV cable version was!... IIRC,
they just changed it to the AODE (the electronic controlled version,
same trans, same number of gears, electronic valve body, )

The C-6 was dropped in 95(?) or 96, IIRC.... it'd be a LONG trans,
unlike the AOD, which is about the size of a C4.

And yea, it'd probably do alright with the tow package, provided the
cooling was adequate. Obviously, the AOD isn't really meant to be a
racing transmission (however, one can have it rebuilt to handle LOTS
of horsepower, ) but it should do fine in towing applications.

-LMB

Old July 10th 05, 02:52 AM
Gregg M via CarKB.com

We really appreciate your help, thanks for all the information,....it turns
out that it is an AOD, and the way I identified it was the circle around the
drive in the dash indicates that's it's an AOD,...a little bit more
information if anyone is looking,......if you have an E40D transmission, the
overdrive will be in the end of the shifter, and regular C6 is just regular,
P-R-N-D-D2-D1,......
Thanks again to everyone!

Old July 10th 05, 05:37 PM
Gregg M via CarKB.com

OK, now I know it's an AOD,......I removed the valve body, tore one of the
gaskets, :-(, still cannot see any band or band adjustments. Anyone know
where I can get a diagram or does someone know the location of the bands? :-)

Old July 10th 05, 11:07 PM
Louis M. Brown

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 16:37:11 GMT, "Gregg M via CarKB.com"
> wrote:

>OK, now I know it's an AOD,......I removed the valve body, tore one of the
>gaskets, :-(, still cannot see any band or band adjustments. Anyone know
>where I can get a diagram or does someone know the location of the bands? :-)

IIRC, the AOD's bands aren't adjustable by hand, they're
self-adjusting... the C-series transmissions were the ones w/the
adjustable (by hand) bands.

What is it doing to cause you to want to adjust the bands?

-LMB

Old July 11th 05, 12:29 AM
Gregg M via CarKB.com

>What is it doing to cause you to want to adjust the bands?

When I took the transmission pan off, after we backed it home, the oil in the
bottom of the pan was black,...I figured that it had eaten the forward band,
and if I could locate it, I would just replace it and my troubles would be
over,....but since you say there is no hand adjustment, and I found that the
bands are not visible,....I guess I am at a stopping point again,....anymore
advice? And BTW do you know if a 1983 AOD Mercury Marquis will interchange?
AND BTW the way,.....again,...what does IIRC mean? :-)

Old July 11th 05, 03:23 AM
Louis M. Brown

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 23:29:53 GMT, "Gregg M via CarKB.com"
> wrote:

>>What is it doing to cause you to want to adjust the bands?

>When I took the transmission pan off, after we backed it home, the oil in the
>bottom of the pan was black,...I figured that it had eaten the forward band,
>and if I could locate it,

Actually, sounds like the fluid was pretty much used up. If the trans
isn't slipping in 4th, though, the front band should be fine. But if
you want to replace the bands, you'd have to pull the trans off, and
slidehammer out the front pump, then pull several other components out
(like the clutch packs and some of the gearset.) before you could
access the band itself (BTW, the band you're referring to is called
the Overdrive band, the other band in the trans is the low-reverse
one, and is not actually used unless you've placed the shifter lever
in Reverse or manual low.)

> I would just replace it and my troubles would be
>over,....but since you say there is no hand adjustment, and I found that the
>bands are not visible,....I guess I am at a stopping point again,....anymore
>advice? And BTW do you know if a 1983 AOD Mercury Marquis will interchange?
>AND BTW the way,.....again,...what does IIRC mean? :-)

The AOD out of a '83 should interchange just fine. What symptoms does
the transmission display?

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly.

And if you'd like, I've got an exploded view of the AOD and list of
components (Basically, the parts are numbered, and the list tells you
what each part is, ) I could email that to you.

-LMB

How to identify transmission in Acclaim? Ryan Chrysler 9 May 19th 05 04:25 AM
1998 Accord Transmission Problem box2003 Honda 7 April 26th 05 10:07 PM
90 Grand Voyager Transmission fluid [email protected] Chrysler 11 April 18th 05 01:34 AM
transmission flushes? Magnulus Driving 2 March 10th 05 05:33 AM
1997 civic transmission or ecu problem ?? Matt Honda 1 October 10th 04 05:00 PM