Fastback fuel injectors, cleaning, rebuilding?

Old July 9th 05, 03:38 PM
CROQ

Default Fastback fuel injectors, cleaning, rebuilding?

Hi Folks,

Is it possible to rebuild fuel injectors at home? More specifically,
can I cut the ferrule holding the fuel hose and replace it with new hose
or AN fittings and stainless braided hose?

How about cleaning them? Hook them up to an extra fuel pump and push
solvent through them? How much voltage fires the injector?

Any links, tips or suggestion?

Thanks!

Old July 10th 05, 01:19 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

Yes you can replace that hose. I just use the good german braided FI hose.
You might want to buy enough hose to do the entire FI system. Much cheaper
to purchase that hose then repair fire damage. 8^o

Not sure about the voltage requirements on the injectors, but I know it
should not be over 12 volts. ;-)

Old July 10th 05, 03:49 AM
Jim Adney

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 14:38:02 GMT "CROQ" > wrote:

>Is it possible to rebuild fuel injectors at home? More specifically,
>can I cut the ferrule holding the fuel hose and replace it with new hose
>or AN fittings and stainless braided hose?

Yes, you can cut off the factory crimp ferrule and remove the old
hose. Do this VERY carefully, especially the first time, so you don't
cut too deep and damage the hose barb underneath. Replace it with
normal 5/16" fuel hose and use any good hose clamp. I do these on a
regular basis, since this is the main thing that goes wrong with the
injectors.

>How about cleaning them? Hook them up to an extra fuel pump and push
>solvent through them? How much voltage fires the injector?

I'm not sure there's much you can do with them. There's a brass screen
filter in the rear that can get clogged. I believe that automotive
machine shops often can replace those filters.

If you have injectors that are getting "clogged" it is likely that the
"overflow" hose at your fuel filler is cracked. This is letting dirt
and water into your gas tank, which leads to these problems, which are
more likely to be rust related than dirt related. There's a good
filter in the fuel line which will stop the dirt, but it won't stop
the water.

No amount of work on the injectors will have any lasting effect until
you fix the overflow hose and clean out the gas tank.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Old July 10th 05, 03:51 AM
Jim Adney

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 14:38:02 GMT "CROQ" > wrote:

>Is it possible to rebuild fuel injectors at home? More specifically,
>can I cut the ferrule holding the fuel hose and replace it with new hose
>or AN fittings and stainless braided hose?

Yes, you can cut off the factory crimp ferrule and remove the old
hose. Do this VERY carefully, especially the first time, so you don't
cut too deep and damage the hose barb underneath. Replace it with
normal 5/16" fuel hose and use any good hose clamp. I do these on a
regular basis, since this is the main thing that goes wrong with the
injectors.

>How about cleaning them? Hook them up to an extra fuel pump and push
>solvent through them? How much voltage fires the injector?

I'm not sure there's much you can do with them. There's a brass screen
filter in the rear that can get clogged. I believe that automotive
machine shops often can replace those filters.

If you have injectors that are getting "clogged" it is likely that the
"overflow" hose at your fuel filler is cracked. This is letting dirt
and water into your gas tank, which leads to these problems, which are
more likely to be rust related than dirt related. There's a good
filter in the fuel line which will stop the dirt, but it won't stop
the water.

No amount of work on the injectors will have any lasting effect until
you fix the overflow hose and clean out the gas tank.

The injectors normally get close to 12 V, but they never get it full
time. If you just applied 12VDC to one it would probably overheat
rather quickly. If you do this, just use the min voltage that will
open them.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Old July 10th 05, 11:09 PM
CROQ

"dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote in message
m...
> Yes you can replace that hose. I just use the good german braided FI

hose.
> You might want to buy enough hose to do the entire FI system. Much

cheaper
> to purchase that hose then repair fire damage. 8^o
>
> Not sure about the voltage requirements on the injectors, but I know it
> should not be over 12 volts. ;-)
>
> "CROQ" > wrote in message
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > Is it possible to rebuild fuel injectors at home? More specifically,
> > can I cut the ferrule holding the fuel hose and replace it with new hose
> > or AN fittings and stainless braided hose?

Thanks Dave,
Cutoff disk worked like a charm.

Old July 10th 05, 11:09 PM
CROQ

"Jim Adney" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 14:38:02 GMT "CROQ" > wrote:
>
> >Is it possible to rebuild fuel injectors at home? More specifically,
> >can I cut the ferrule holding the fuel hose and replace it with new hose
> >or AN fittings and stainless braided hose?

> Yes, you can cut off the factory crimp ferrule and remove the old
> hose. Do this VERY carefully, especially the first time, so you don't
> cut too deep and damage the hose barb underneath. Replace it with
> normal 5/16" fuel hose and use any good hose clamp. I do these on a
> regular basis, since this is the main thing that goes wrong with the
> injectors.
>
> >How about cleaning them? Hook them up to an extra fuel pump and push
> >solvent through them? How much voltage fires the injector?

> I'm not sure there's much you can do with them. There's a brass screen
> filter in the rear that can get clogged. I believe that automotive
> machine shops often can replace those filters.
>
> If you have injectors that are getting "clogged" it is likely that the
> "overflow" hose at your fuel filler is cracked. This is letting dirt
> and water into your gas tank, which leads to these problems, which are
> more likely to be rust related than dirt related. There's a good
> filter in the fuel line which will stop the dirt, but it won't stop
> the water.
>
> No amount of work on the injectors will have any lasting effect until
> you fix the overflow hose and clean out the gas tank.

Jim, thanks for the additional information. I'll check the filter screens
and other hoses.