Tire pressure question... which number do I follow?

Old June 21st 05, 12:52 AM
ijosef

Default Tire pressure question... which number do I follow?

I drive a well-used 1998 Chevy Prism, and while getting a few routine
maintenance things done I was told that my rear passenger side tire had
some pretty severe cupping. I went to the local tire bargain bin and
got two used tires (the tread was almost 100% though) to put on the
front and put my existing front tires on the rear.

All of the tires are the same size, but the two BF Goodrich tires in
the front say "Max Pressure 44 PSI" while the Coopers in the back say
"Max Pressure 35 PSI." When I had the new/used tires put on they
filled the fronts to 44PSI and the rears to 35PSI just like lettering
on the tires said. When I went to get an oil change (I moved earlier
this month, so it was a different place)they checked my tire pressure
and put all four tires to 32PSI each.

My question is, what is the correct pressure? Is it what the car
manual says or is it what the tire says? I get different answers
depending on who I ask.

Thanks,
Joe

Old June 21st 05, 12:55 AM
Shep

Use the mfg recommendations on the tire placard on the door or in the glove
box? The cupping in the rear tires is usually bad struts on the Toyota
Corolla/Prizms.
oups.com...

Old June 21st 05, 01:10 AM

To back up shep. You do what the car maker says. Typically anywhere
from 28 to 35 psi per tire.

Sometimes the pressure will be the same all around. At other times, the
car maker will suggest different pressure for the front vs. the rear
tires.
So, as said, look on the inside of the door frame, inside the glove
compartment or in the owner's manual.

If you fail to find it in any of those places, go to the public library
and grab a Haynes or Chilton manual for the make and model of your car
and look it up in there.

I'd suggest calling the dealer, but I can almost hear them just say 32
psi all around without checking....

Old June 21st 05, 03:34 AM
y_p_w

Shep wrote:
> Use the mfg recommendations on the tire placard on the door or
> in the glove box? The cupping in the rear tires is usually bad
> struts on the Toyota Corolla/Prizms.

Most most cars, I'd say the carmaker's recommendations are a good
starting point because they factor in the weight of the car, while
the tiremaker's pressure is a "worst case scenario" of max load.

Toyota has different recommendations for the Camry fully loaded
vs minimal load.

Still - a carmaker's recommendations are usually a compromise
between fuel economy, handling, and ride comfort. Many performance
cars come with realistic pressures, while your typical family
car is biased towards ride comfort. Adding a few PSI over the
carmaker's recommendations is usually safe and reasonable.
Old June 21st 05, 04:34 AM
Erik

In article .com>,
"ijosef" > wrote:

> I drive a well-used 1998 Chevy Prism, and while getting a few routine
> maintenance things done I was told that my rear passenger side tire had
> some pretty severe cupping. I went to the local tire bargain bin and
> got two used tires (the tread was almost 100% though) to put on the
> front and put my existing front tires on the rear.
>
> All of the tires are the same size, but the two BF Goodrich tires in
> the front say "Max Pressure 44 PSI" while the Coopers in the back say
> "Max Pressure 35 PSI." When I had the new/used tires put on they
> filled the fronts to 44PSI and the rears to 35PSI just like lettering
> on the tires said. When I went to get an oil change (I moved earlier
> this month, so it was a different place)they checked my tire pressure
> and put all four tires to 32PSI each.
>
> My question is, what is the correct pressure? Is it what the car
> manual says or is it what the tire says? I get different answers
> depending on who I ask.
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

Use the car Mfg.'s suggested pressures. It's listed on a sticker,
placard or manual/s somewhere. There may even be a chart covering
different vehicle loading/and or speed conditions, and/or optional tires
that were available for that particular car or truck.

Moulded on the tire side wall is the 'never exceed' under any
circumstances pressure... and is there for legal reasons. It's almost
always way to high for actual use.

This is ripped from Goodrich's web site...

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com

> Inflation: Air is to your tire as oil is to the engine. Air pressure affects
> your vehicle's handling, traction, and gas mileage, as well as the longevity
> of the tires. We recommend that you check your tires about once a month and
> before any long trip. The accurate pressure for your vehicle can be found in
> the vehicle's owner's manual and often on a placard located in the vehicle's
> doorjamb.

Go to the site and look for yourself, in the upper right corner, search
on the word pressure.

I suggest to everyone they get a good gauge, and and check their own
pressures... especially after buying tires, going to the oil change
place or getting any other service done. Often you'll find them boosted
up to the side wall pressure.

Check and adjust tire pressures cold... morning is best before driving
over a mile or so, or letting the Sun warm one or more tires. If you
check them later after driving and warming, you'll find them too high...
leave them alone, this pressure increase has been accounted for. You
want to set the cold pressure.

Good Luck!

Erik
Old June 21st 05, 04:51 AM
Dave Baker

ijosef > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I drive a well-used 1998 Chevy Prism, and while getting a few routine
> maintenance things done I was told that my rear passenger side tire had
> some pretty severe cupping. I went to the local tire bargain bin and
> got two used tires (the tread was almost 100% though) to put on the
> front and put my existing front tires on the rear.
>
> All of the tires are the same size, but the two BF Goodrich tires in
> the front say "Max Pressure 44 PSI" while the Coopers in the back say
> "Max Pressure 35 PSI." When I had the new/used tires put on they
> filled the fronts to 44PSI and the rears to 35PSI just like lettering
> on the tires said. When I went to get an oil change (I moved earlier
> this month, so it was a different place)they checked my tire pressure
> and put all four tires to 32PSI each.
>
> My question is, what is the correct pressure? Is it what the car
> manual says or is it what the tire says? I get different answers
> depending on who I ask.
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

Jesus wept. This question never crops up in the UK because apparently we
aren't dumb enough over here to not understand what 'maximum allowed
pressure' actually means. Try thinking about it a bit more and hopefully
you'll work it out.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (www.pumaracing.co.uk)

Old June 21st 05, 05:38 AM
Erik

In article .com>,
"ijosef" > wrote:

> I drive a well-used 1998 Chevy Prism, and while getting a few routine
> maintenance things done I was told that my rear passenger side tire had
> some pretty severe cupping. I went to the local tire bargain bin and
> got two used tires (the tread was almost 100% though) to put on the
> front and put my existing front tires on the rear.
>
> All of the tires are the same size, but the two BF Goodrich tires in
> the front say "Max Pressure 44 PSI" while the Coopers in the back say
> "Max Pressure 35 PSI." When I had the new/used tires put on they
> filled the fronts to 44PSI and the rears to 35PSI just like lettering
> on the tires said. When I went to get an oil change (I moved earlier
> this month, so it was a different place)they checked my tire pressure
> and put all four tires to 32PSI each.
>
> My question is, what is the correct pressure? Is it what the car
> manual says or is it what the tire says? I get different answers
> depending on who I ask.
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

Here's some more inflation info from tire mfg's sites... pretty typical,
I bet if you checked them all, they'd vary little in their opinion of
tire pressure. Vehicle Mfg's will agree as well.

http://www.tiresafety.com/service/serv_nav1b.htm#

http://www.coopertire.com/us/en/safety/TireSafety2.asp

http://www.michelinman.com/care/tip1.html

Erik