Ignition Timing Question

Old June 4th 05, 10:38 AM
MikeLikes

Default Ignition Timing Question

Today I was looking at checking / adjusting the ignition timing on my
1995 EG Honda Civic (1.5L D15B7)
In the Honda Manual it states that you need to "jump" the service check
connector when adjusting the ignition timing. Can someone tell me why
this needs to be done and if it makes a difference?
Regards,
Michael.

Old June 4th 05, 12:43 PM
TeGGeR®

"MikeLikes" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Today I was looking at checking / adjusting the ignition timing on my
> 1995 EG Honda Civic (1.5L D15B7)
> In the Honda Manual it states that you need to "jump" the service check
> connector when adjusting the ignition timing. Can someone tell me why
> this needs to be done and if it makes a difference?
> Regards,

When you set the timing, you are setting the "base" timing. This is the
datum from which all other adjustments are made.

Jumping that connector prevents the ECU from being able to alter base
timing while you set it.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old June 4th 05, 02:42 PM
jim beam

MikeLikes wrote:
> Today I was looking at checking / adjusting the ignition timing on my
> 1995 EG Honda Civic (1.5L D15B7)
> In the Honda Manual it states that you need to "jump" the service check
> connector when adjusting the ignition timing. Can someone tell me why
> this needs to be done and if it makes a difference?
> Regards,
> Michael.

the ecu constantly adjusts the timing based on data from various
sensors. this makes it hard/impossible to set the base timing. jumping
the service check connector tells the ecu to /not/ make any adjustments
thereby allowing timing to be set. an unbent paperclip is a great tool
for this job - fits perfectly.

Old June 5th 05, 02:08 AM
Mike

Thanks for the info, thats answered my question.
Regards,
Michael.

Ignition timing 2.0l Transporter mistyb VW air cooled 7 May 11th 05 02:20 PM
Ignition Timing mbjj Technology 6 April 6th 05 08:04 PM
Dune Buggy Timing Question cont'd Will Sheppard VW air cooled 4 March 28th 05 04:37 PM
Dune Buggy Timing (Pulley) Question Speedy Jim VW air cooled 6 March 27th 05 06:26 AM
diesel timing pump question news.blueyonder.co.uk Audi 2 September 15th 04 07:56 AM