Top

Old June 1st 05, 04:48 PM
Tom

Default Top

I was wondering if I removed the top ....frame and all....would it
just be a matter of putting it back in and then going on my merry way?

Plenty of people have said they leave it down for long periods of time
and everything is fine. I have a hard-top and could use the extra
storage space for a trip I'm planning.

Old June 1st 05, 05:33 PM
Red

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 15:48:03 GMT, Tom > wrote in
:

> I was wondering if I removed the top ....frame and all....would it
> just be a matter of putting it back in and then going on my merry way?
>
> Plenty of people have said they leave it down for long periods of time
> and everything is fine. I have a hard-top and could use the extra
> storage space for a trip I'm planning.

"putting it back in" is probably a bit more effort than you might think.
I paid someone a very reasonable price to replace my top a while back
so I didn't get to see the details, but many here will be able to tell
you about the rain rail and how you need to make sure you don't damage
it.

That is an interesting idea though of removing the top for extended periods
of cruising.

Old June 1st 05, 11:38 PM
BRUCE HASKIN

There is a "Quick Remove & Reinstall Kit" you can buy so that you can do
just what you want. I don't remember the price, but if you are sure you
want to do this, it can be done.

Bruce RED '91

Old June 1st 05, 11:38 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
Tom > wrote:

> I was wondering if I removed the top ....frame and all....would it
> just be a matter of putting it back in and then going on my merry way?

The miata.net Garage has plenty of instructions for installing tops.
There are 13 little bolts holding the rain rail to the car, in addition
to the large bolts that secure the frame. I wouldn't think it would be
worth the trouble. There's also the possibility that your way would be
considerably less merry than you'd hoped, after snapping off a couple of
bolts and breaking the old, brittle rain rail.

But then I'm just an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" kinda guy.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old June 2nd 05, 06:31 AM
Tom

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 22:38:43 GMT, Lanny Chambers
> wrote:

>But then I'm just an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" kinda guy.

I had glanced thru the Tops in the garage section....it struck me as
take some bolts out and put some bolts back in. You must know me
without knowing me...cause I can see me screwing it up somehow
someway.

Now if I decide to remove it and only use the hardtop it will be with
the idea of leaving it out permanently. It's an 02 and most likely my
last one and most likely I will ride it until it dies. Thus, selling
or trading it won't be a factor.

Old June 2nd 05, 02:55 PM
pws

Tom wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. After doing some homework I think I will hold
> off until I am willing to remove it permanently. It's an 02 and most
> likely my last car...well miata anyway. I use the hardtop 99.9% of the
> time and have even been asked why I bought a convertible if all I am
> going to use is the hardtop....My answer was they don't make a miata
> coupe for sale here in the USA. If they ever do send it (coupe) over
> here I might have to retract this being my last miata.

> <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>

That makes sense, though some people will probably give you a hard time
for not wanting to use the convertible aspect of the car. I like to put
the top down, but I would also like to see a miata coupe offered since
there is no other car quite like it, convertible or not, and the coupe
would be stiffer, quieter and would have a roof that never wears out and
that can not be stolen like the hardtop on a convertible.

The only Miata Coupe was a prototype or project car that Mazda did in
1996, iirc. I thought that it looked great and would be a good
alternative for people who don't like top-down driving but still like
the miata's handling, size, looks, etc., but it was never put into
production in any country.

Pat
Old June 2nd 05, 11:17 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> I like to put
> the top down, but I would also like to see a miata coupe offered since
> there is no other car quite like it, convertible or not, and the coupe
> would be stiffer, quieter and would have a roof that never wears out and
> that can not be stolen like the hardtop on a convertible.

OTOH, I'd buy an RX-8 in a heartbeat if it were a roadster (I don't care
how many seats it has). I'm not giving up my ragtop, which only goes up
when it's raining on me or the temperature is below 40F. Sounds like
there's an 8 with your name on it, Pat.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old June 3rd 05, 01:28 AM
pws

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> OTOH, I'd buy an RX-8 in a heartbeat if it were a roadster (I don't care
> how many seats it has). I'm not giving up my ragtop, which only goes up
> when it's raining on me or the temperature is below 40F. Sounds like
> there's an 8 with your name on it, Pat.
>
> ---
> Lanny Chambers
> '94C, St. Louis
> http://www.hummingbirds.net/alignment.html

Maybe, though I have never figured out if I like how the RX-8 looks or
not, but only if I can keep the miata as well. I wouldn't give up my
ragtop miata for a miata coupe if they ever made one, but having one of
each could be cool.

I enjoy my ragtop too, but heat is more of an issue than cold for me as
far as when to put the top up or down. Nightime drives in central Texas
right now are wonderful, but it is already getting brutal during the
daytime with no A/C. This looks to be a nasty summer coming up after two
or three mild ones in a row. An RX-8 with working A/C would definitely
be a great OTM.

Pat
Old June 3rd 05, 05:47 AM
Tom

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 13:55:46 GMT, pws > wrote:

>Tom wrote:
>

>> Thanks for the reply. After doing some homework I think I will hold
>> off until I am willing to remove it permanently. It's an 02 and most
>> likely my last car...well miata anyway. I use the hardtop 99.9% of the
>> time and have even been asked why I bought a convertible if all I am
>> going to use is the hardtop....My answer was they don't make a miata
>> coupe for sale here in the USA. If they ever do send it (coupe) over
>> here I might have to retract this being my last miata.

>> <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>
>>

>That makes sense, though some people will probably give you a hard time
>for not wanting to use the convertible aspect of the car. I like to put
>the top down, but I would also like to see a miata coupe offered since
>there is no other car quite like it, convertible or not, and the coupe
>would be stiffer, quieter and would have a roof that never wears out and
>that can not be stolen like the hardtop on a convertible.
>
>The only Miata Coupe was a prototype or project car that Mazda did in
>1996, iirc. I thought that it looked great and would be a good
>alternative for people who don't like top-down driving but still like
>the miata's handling, size, looks, etc., but it was never put into
>production in any country.
>
>Pat

http://www.miata.net/news/editions.html

I'd buy the yellow one in a second!