'79 304 Edelbrock carb problems vs Holley carbs?

Old September 9th 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

Default '79 304 Edelbrock carb problems vs Holley carbs?

Don't foerget the Mazda Wankel rotary:
http://www.rotaryengineillustrated.com/animations.php

. uk...

Old September 9th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

A 1934 Nash with dual plugs, the other eight are on the carburetor
side: http://www.vapinc.com/1934nashrestor...2/PIC00004.jpg
And of course Top Fuel use two:
http://www.billhughes.com/temp/DickLaHaie.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old September 10th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dave Milne[_2_]

Sounds like a good purchase - will order and wait 3 weeks for it to arrive
(!).

Got it fitted at the weekend, relatively painlessly. Well, I mean that
metaphorically actually, as I cut the hell out of my thumb as I was putting
on the valley pan gasket with blood going everywhere and trying to keep it
off the RTV. So now the nastier bits of the emissions control are
disconnected (the EGR and the air injection stuff). As it is now not really
an emssions controlled vehicle, I attached it to the non-timed part of the
carb per the instructions, but that gave me 34 degrees BTDC, so plugged it
into the timed-port and got a more sensible 10 degrees BTDC. Gas analyser
was playing up a bit, so I'll do the tuning next weekend, but even on the
default settings, it is pulling way more strongly than it ever did before -
can't be far off.

Oh, Edelbrock's instructions in the 2131 manifold state that the Performer
1405 requires a Square bore to Spread bore adapter. Except that both carb
and manifold are square bore already, and I hadn't ordered one. Doesn't
seem to mention the need for it anywhere else - will drop them a line to
check that it is a mistake on their part. Certainly seems to run fine
without it.

Dave Milne, Scotland

"c" > wrote in message
> Dave, you shouldn't have a problem tuning the Carter/Edelbrock carb, and
> yes, they are basically the same carb inside. I believe the jets and rods
> interchange, but I'm not positive on that. I do know that the Edelbrock

carb
> is heavily based on the Carter design. If you understand basic carb
> functioning, and what the rods and jets do for the mixture, it will be a
> simple process to get it dialed in. If you ruin in to problems, I'm sure

we
> can get you going in the right direction. Also, there is a book available
> called Carter Carb Tuning. Most of it will apply to the Edelbrock as well.

> had the book at one time, but loaned it out and never got it back. I do

know
> that the book is very thorough.
>
> Chris
>

> "Dave Milne" > wrote in message
> . uk...
> > Thanks. Looks like perhaps I should have ordered the calibration kit in
> > retrospect. Anyhow, after a 2 week wait, it has arrived so I'll fit at

the
> > weekend.
> >
> > Quite looking forward to it - my carb experience has been mainly with
> > multiple SU's (single barrel downdraft) and the odd side draft Weber -
> > never done anything on a 4 barrel like Holley or Edelbrock before.
> >
> > Dave Milne, Scotland
> > '91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ
> > "c" > wrote in message
> >> Dave,
> >>
> >> When the companies that make carb give them their initial settings from

> > the
> >> factory, they take all kinds of compromised in to consideration. They

> > don't
> >> know if the carb will be used on a large or small displacement engine,

or
> > if
> >> it will be used in hot or cold climate, high altitude, etc. They also

> > don't
> >> know what other mods have been done to these engines. The baseline

> > settings
> >> they give these carbs will allow them to run on most of the

applications
> >> they will see, but they almost always require tuning to get them to be
> >> optimal. My guess would be that this carb would still be a little rich,

> > but
> >> it is just a guess. I'm not saying it won't run, it will, and it will
> >> probably be pretty damn close to right.
> >>
> >> The metering rod system that Carter/Edelbrock uses will "adjust" the

> > mixture
> >> based on engine vacuum. The rods are controlled by a piston and spring,
> >> similar to many other carbs. When the engine vacuum is low, the

metering
> > rod
> >> spring will start to overtake the vacuum pulling the piston down. The
> >> rods
> >> are tapered, and when they move up in the bore they are in, a smaller
> >> diameter of the rod will still be inside the main jet, effectively
> >> increasing the total main jet area that fuel can pass thru. If the

engine
> >> runs too rich at high vacuum conditions, but is ok at low vacuum or

wide
> >> open throttle, then you simply change the metering rod to on the has a
> >> larger diameter on the part of the rod that is in the jet at high

vacuum
> >> conditions. It really is a simple process, and normally will only

require
> > 1
> >> or 2 sets of rods to get the carb where you need it to be.
> >>
> >> Chris
> >>

> >> "Dave Milne" > wrote in message
> >> . uk...

> > manifold

Wagoneer
> > ?

manifold,
> > it

for

> > the

and

Old September 10th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_5_]

Dave,

It would be a shame to install less restrictive intake components, without
similar changes to the exhaust.

Earle

news

Old September 11th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
c[_1_]

It sounds like their instructions are generic. The reason I say this is that
many of the Performer series manifolds have the spreadbore carb opening, but
they have both bolt patterns. Some of the square bore carb flanges will not
seal on this type of manifold, hence the reason for the adapter. If your
carb and manifold are both square flange, then you definitely don't need the
adapter. Glad to hear it is running good for you though.

Chris

news

Old September 11th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dave Milne[_1_]

Indeed. This was a tactical fix - my LPG system broke (the guys who
installed it were clearly idiots, and with the partially disconnected
emissions system, the Ford Motorcraft 2bl carb wasn't running right). So, I
went back to basics with a simple choke.

How it is running, I guess the next thing is to look at what headers and
exhaust are available. Might look at changing the camshaft since I'm about
it.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

om...

Old September 11th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dave Milne[_1_]

yes, their email technical support confirmed it wasn't necessary. Pretty
impressively fast response actually - couple of hours.

So next weekend, I'll put the gas tester on it. I had a shot at it, but it
was late and the start reading in clean air didn't match the end reading in
clean air, so I discounted the readings I took.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ