ecu transfer

Old July 2nd 05, 03:18 AM
dbacker1

Default ecu transfer

I have an '01 Honda Civic Ex The ECU went out so I bought one out of a
totaled '02 both are CA emmisions changed out now car won't start. Do I
need to reset somehow and if so how do I do it? Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

Old July 2nd 05, 04:23 AM
jim beam

dbacker1 wrote:
> I have an '01 Honda Civic Ex The ECU went out so I bought one out of a
> totaled '02 both are CA emmisions changed out now car won't start. Do I
> need to reset somehow and if so how do I do it? Any help would be greatly
> appreciated!

how do you know the 02 was good? why did the old one go out?

Old July 2nd 05, 05:52 AM
motsco_ _

dbacker1 wrote:
> I have an '01 Honda Civic Ex The ECU went out so I bought one out of a
> totaled '02 both are CA emmisions changed out now car won't start. Do I
> need to reset somehow and if so how do I do it? Any help would be greatly
> appreciated!

------------------------

What were the EXACT symptoms when the ECU went out? What did you try
before deciding to swap it?

'Curly'

Old July 2nd 05, 01:09 PM
TeGGeR®

"dbacker1" > wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> I have an '01 Honda Civic Ex The ECU went out

Honda ECMs do NOT "go out" unless damaged in collision or by moisture
(flood).

Honda sees maybe two or three actual-bad ECMs a year. The others all test
good and were pulled in error.

> so I bought one out of a
> totaled '02 both are CA emmisions changed out now car won't start.

You're mixing different years. Do you know if the ECM part number was the
same between the two? If not, the pinouts and/or signals may be different.

What were your symptoms? What was your reason for pulling the original ECM?

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old July 3rd 05, 02:46 AM

----------------
>From playing around with several ECUs I can say that even amoung

cars made in the same model year there can be serious differences.

Unless you hae some way to duplicate every sensor and measure every
output signal, you can't test these babies in the field. Other then
the already mentioned flooding, the only other thing that can harm them
is a nearby lightning strike or a very close high power (in excess of
500Watts). These guys are very well protected!

Terry

Old July 3rd 05, 06:43 AM
dbacker1

THank you for your concerns my ecu problems the prior ecu was a
wrecking yard replacement from previous owner,don't know what caused
damage,I did verify that part numbers were a match, I contacted Honda and
they let me know that Immobilizer unit needed to be reprogramed due to new
ECU not reconizing the system or key's electronic signal, cost $100 @
dealership service center well worth it no problems so far thank you again
for your intrest in my question. So if anyone else ask's maybe my experince
with this can be passed on.

Old July 3rd 05, 07:28 PM
chip

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 20:23:27 -0700, jim beam >
wrote:

>dbacker1 wrote:
>> I have an '01 Honda Civic Ex The ECU went out so I bought one out of a
>> totaled '02 both are CA emmisions changed out now car won't start. Do I
>> need to reset somehow and if so how do I do it? Any help would be greatly
>> appreciated!
>>

>how do you know the 02 was good? why did the old one go out?

you need to have the immobilizer reprogrammed as all keys lost. you
can't just swap ecus anymore
Chip