TIP: Ignition switch replacement (smoking)

Old June 21st 05, 03:12 AM
Anastasio

Default TIP: Ignition switch replacement (smoking)

1990 CRX Si, 181,000mi
A few times a year I have had a problem starting the car. Car would
start up when the key is turned but die as soon as the key is let go.
Had the problem this week, got it started but then 15 miles later when
I stopped at a light I saw wisps of white smoke coming from the
steering column (never good!).

Turned out to be the ignition starter switch. It was wearing out (dirty
& worn inside). One of the contacts was arcing and heating up, enough
to melt the solder on one of the leads!

This switch sits behind the ignition lock and is attached with 3 screws
(you get to keep the same keys).

Instead of just cleaning it, I bought a replacement switch from Auto
Zone. Got a Wells part #LS883 for $60. Direct replacement except one of
the screw holes was too small for the existing screw - replaced screw.

Now, the car starts right up and even appears to idle much more
smoothly.

Hope this helps someone else in the future...

Old June 21st 05, 04:25 PM
motsco_ _

Anastasio wrote:
> 1990 CRX Si, 181,000mi
> A few times a year I have had a problem starting the car. Car would
> start up when the key is turned but die as soon as the key is let go.
> Had the problem this week, got it started but then 15 miles later when
> I stopped at a light I saw wisps of white smoke coming from the
> steering column (never good!).
>
> Turned out to be the ignition starter switch. It was wearing out (dirty
> & worn inside). One of the contacts was arcing and heating up, enough
> to melt the solder on one of the leads!
>
> This switch sits behind the ignition lock and is attached with 3 screws
> (you get to keep the same keys).
>
> Instead of just cleaning it, I bought a replacement switch from Auto
> Zone. Got a Wells part #LS883 for $60. Direct replacement except one of
> the screw holes was too small for the existing screw - replaced screw.
>
> Now, the car starts right up and even appears to idle much more
> smoothly.
>
> Hope this helps someone else in the future...

------------------------

Honda replaced several MILLION ignition switches a few years ago in a
huge campain. All three of my (slightly older) Hondas qualified for the
free fix. One had been dying at the most innoportune times :-(

'Curly'

Old June 22nd 05, 12:31 AM
TeGGeR®

"Anastasio" > wrote in
ps.com:

> 1990 CRX Si, 181,000mi
> A few times a year I have had a problem starting the car. Car would
> start up when the key is turned but die as soon as the key is let go.
> Had the problem this week, got it started but then 15 miles later when
> I stopped at a light I saw wisps of white smoke coming from the
> steering column (never good!).
>
> Turned out to be the ignition starter switch. It was wearing out (dirty
> & worn inside). One of the contacts was arcing and heating up, enough
> to melt the solder on one of the leads!

Which one? There's no such thing as an "ignition starter switch". You must
mean the RUN contact.

> This switch sits behind the ignition lock and is attached with 3 screws
> (you get to keep the same keys).

Oh, you mean this?:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/start...ignitionswitch

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old July 3rd 05, 03:58 AM
shellbell

How do you clean it?

Old July 3rd 05, 04:02 AM
shellbell

are they still replacing them free if it was in the recall?

Old July 3rd 05, 04:54 AM
SoCalMike

shellbell wrote:
> How do you clean it?

if its anything like my VW rabbit, the switch is under the column, and
attached to the lock cylinder. it all comes undone, and the switch MIGHT
be able to be popped open to clean all the burned pitted crap out, but
im sure its easier to just replace.
Old July 3rd 05, 04:58 AM
SoCalMike

shellbell wrote:
> are they still replacing them free if it was in the recall?

yes. if it was involved in the recall, it should have already been
replaced.
Old July 3rd 05, 10:55 AM
Bozo

shellbell wrote:
> are they still replacing them free if it was in the recall?

Safety recalls do not normally have a time limit. Goodwill on the other
hand (such as extended warranty) does
Old July 3rd 05, 07:48 PM
Gordon McGrew

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 22:58:18 -0400, "shellbell"
> wrote:

>How do you clean it?

Put it out first.

Old July 4th 05, 12:24 AM
shellbell

What does it look like i took the dash boards away and the only thing I
fount that was held together by a few screws was a little white box that
had a piston thing coming out of it..
Also is there a diagram or directions to do this stuff??
Thanks a bunch for all the help!!