Locating NB Fuel Pump Relay.

Old February 22nd 09, 02:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Douglas Payne

Default Locating NB Fuel Pump Relay.

Hello chaps. I'm having a bit of a delurk to ask a question...

I'm looking for the fuel pump relay on my 2003 1.8 'Sport'.

I'm in Scotland, UK so to the fellows across the pond it'll be wrong
hand drive.

Here's a jpg of whats in the footwell on the drivers side:
http://tinyurl.com/cyeb3j

Can anyone tell me if any of these is the fuel pump relay? If so, which
one?

Alternatively I'm looking for a way to depressurise the fuel system so
that I can change the fuel filter.

Warm regards,

--
Douglas
Old February 22nd 09, 04:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Douglas Payne

Douglas Payne wrote:
> Hello chaps.

Apologies for the double post. Not a good way to pop my r.a.m.m.m
cherry. (c:

--
Douglas
Old February 22nd 09, 04:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Douglas Payne wrote:
> Douglas Payne wrote:
>> Hello chaps.

> Apologies for the double post. Not a good way to pop my r.a.m.m.m
> cherry. (c:

Heh, sorry I can't help you, it is a yellow plug on the early models,
not sure if they changed it for the NB or not but I do not see it in
your picture.

Bruce? Any idea where the relay is on your 2003 model?

Pat
Old February 22nd 09, 10:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck[_13_]

Alternate ways--
Remove gas (petrol) tank cap.
With the Miata on Jackstands or on a lift-- locate the fuel filter, and
remove the covers.
Obtain something in the nature of an oil drain pan or washpan that fits
under the fuel filter. A pan diameter of about two feet is good. If you have
a safety face shield, use it when you remove the old filter, as there is a
chance of fuel spray.
With the pan under the fuel filter, using the appropriate tool, release the
"quick release fitting", and slowly pull the filter from the line.
Cap or plug the line from the tank Plastic or wood golf tees work well if
nothing else is available. Some replacement filters come with caps that will
also work,

Release the other "quick release fitting on the engine side of the filter
remove the filter and let drain into the pan. Note the nasty colour of the
filter drainage. Use new plastic clips if you have them, and replace the
filter.

It's best to do this in a very well vented area, and hopefully on a day with
high humidity.

Avoid use of anything (tools, clothes etc.) that might cause a spark or
static discharge.
You must plug the line from the tank, or have self draining occur. If you
have everything in order and within easy reach, It's possible to plug the
line with your thumb while you grab the new filter and position it, then
move yoour thumb out of the way, and push the new filter onto the fuel line
from the tank.
You should feel and likely hear a click when the fitting seats properly. The
filter will not pull off the line if the catch is latched properly.
I place a shop towel over the tank to filter fitting before I open the
connection to the filter. This minimizes fuel spray.ald allows it to go into
the pan.

If you are working outside with jackstands on a concrete driveway, it's not
a bad idea to wet down the area before you begin. (Helps reduce static
electricity buildup.)

Old February 23rd 09, 11:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jack McGann[_2_]

>"Douglas Payne" > Not a good way to pop my r.a.m.m.m
>cherry. (c:
> Douglas

LOL.. You Scots have a way with words..

Old February 24th 09, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Douglas Payne > wrote:

> Douglas Payne wrote:
>> Hello chaps.

> Apologies for the double post. Not a good way to pop my r.a.m.m.m
> cherry. (c:

You'll be forgiven if you send me a very large sum of money!* <GD&R>

*One of these days, that's going to work!

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Old February 24th 09, 03:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

No Pat, I just had my hip replaced and I can't get under there for now.
Sorry. The book just shows it as a 6 pin plastic connecton ( 2 PINS
WIDE AND 3 PINS LONG ) It does not show a location. Looking at the
"harness side of the connector :

A is the top. C is the center , E is the end

B is under A, " X "under C, " X " is under E

( " X " is a blank )

I hope you can see this picture I have tried to lay out for you. I guess
you just need to look for the long narrow plug under there.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old February 24th 09, 08:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Douglas Payne

XS11E wrote:
> Douglas Payne > wrote:
>
>> Douglas Payne wrote:
>>> Hello chaps.

>> Apologies for the double post. Not a good way to pop my r.a.m.m.m
>> cherry. (c:

> You'll be forgiven if you send me a very large sum of money!* <GD&R>
>

> *One of these days, that's going to work!

Sure, I'll give you US$1million, but I've only got this check for
$1.5million from the Bank of Umbungoland which my late Father in Law was
going to give to me but was unable to cash before he died in a plane
crash in Brazil.

If I make it payable to you, you can just send me the $500,000
difference in cash.

(c;

Worth a try.

--
Douglas
Old February 26th 09, 11:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Douglas Payne

BRUCE HASKIN wrote:
> No Pat, I just had my hip replaced and I can't get under there for now.
> Sorry. The book just shows it as a 6 pin plastic connecton ( 2 PINS
> WIDE AND 3 PINS LONG ) It does not show a location. Looking at the
> "harness side of the connector :
>
> A is the top. C is the center , E is the end
>
> B is under A, " X "under C, " X " is under E
>
> ( " X " is a blank )
>
> I hope you can see this picture I have tried to lay out for you. I guess
> you just need to look for the long narrow plug under there.
>
> Bruce Bing '03 LS

Bruce, thanks for your help, and the same to everyone in the thread. (c:

Thanks to your description of the connector, I found a relay that makes
the engine run on, stutter then cut out when you remove it which is, I
presume the fuel pump relay.

I edited my picture to highlight it:
http://tinyurl.com/bl53c8

The wires are obscured in the picture a bit - apologies - but hopefully
that should help anyone in a similar predicament.

Best regards.

--
Douglas
Old February 28th 09, 06:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

On Feb 26, 3:56*am, Douglas Payne > wrote:
> BRUCE HASKIN wrote:
> > No Pat, I just had my hip replaced and I can't get under there for now.
> > Sorry. *The book just shows it as a 6 pin plastic connecton *( 2 PINS
> > WIDE AND 3 PINS LONG ) It does not show a location. Looking at the
> > "harness side of the connector :

> > A is the top. *C is the center , E is the end

> > B is under A, *" X "under C, * " X " is under E

> > ( " X " is a blank )

> > I hope you can see this picture I have tried to lay out for you. I guess
> > you just need to look for the long narrow plug under there.

> > * * * Bruce * * Bing * *'03 *LS

> Bruce, thanks for your help, and the same to everyone in the thread. *(c:
>
> Thanks to your description of the connector, I found a relay that makes
> the engine run on, stutter then cut out when you remove it which is, I
> presume the fuel pump relay.
>
> I edited my picture to highlight it:http://tinyurl.com/bl53c8
>
> The wires are obscured in the picture a bit - apologies - but hopefully
> that should help anyone in a similar predicament.
>
> Best regards.
>
> --
> Douglas- Hide quoted text -

Douglas, Glad we could help. That picture looks like the Drawing that
is in the shop manual.
Good luck in other work that you are doing on your 2003. I have the
full size shop manual for the 2003. If you need other info that I can
help you with, let me know.

Bruce Bing '03 LS