Boss Frog V-8 Kit

Old October 18th 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

Default Boss Frog V-8 Kit

Has anyone had a chance to look at the : miata.net site and looked at
What's New and Hot ? Page down and look at the Boss Frog V-8 kit. My
'62 Corvette was 2600 pounds and 365 HP. Just think of what a Miata
with 400 HP + would be like. And all that torque ????

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old October 18th 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2008-10-18, BRUCE HASKIN > wrote:

> Has anyone had a chance to look at the : miata.net site and
> looked at What's New and Hot ? Page down and look at the Boss
> Frog V-8 kit. My '62 Corvette was 2600 pounds and 365 HP.
> Just think of what a Miata with 400 HP + would be like.

Wouldn't it mess up the weight distribution quite a bit by
weighing down the front end and "lightening" the rear?

> And all that torque ????

Combined with a light rear end, it might not be very drivable.
I guess with all that horsepower, you'd probably put in a 30
gallon fuel tank. That would add almost 100+ lbs on the rear
wheels.

--
Grant

Old October 18th 08, 07:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
Grant Edwards > wrote:

> Wouldn't it mess up the weight distribution quite a bit by
> weighing down the front end and "lightening" the rear?

They claim "only a few percent" difference from stock. Such a car is
definitely not going to drive like a Miata anyway, so it's probably a
trivial issue. Obviously, a survival-minded driver will need to exercise
some judgment regarding throttle opening.

Flyin' Miata offers a similar kit, but it appears to position the engine
a bit farther rearward, which requires some firewall cutting. It's good
to have a choice of less work versus better result.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old October 18th 08, 09:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck[_13_]

The Australians solved the problem by making the Miata bigger. Stretch the
front, stretch the rear, add a bit of width, along with a turbocharged V-8
and new chassis components. (Bullet)

Old October 18th 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

Bruce wrote:
> Has anyone had a chance to look at the : miata.net site and
> looked at
> What's New and Hot ? Page down and look at the Boss Frog V-8
> kit. My
> '62 Corvette was 2600 pounds and 365 HP. Just think of what a
> Miata
> with 400 HP + would be like. And all that torque ????

Don't know about that one, but we have 2 club members (father &
son) who have converted 3 or 4 Miatas to V-8s. IIRC they replaced
the entire drive train and suspension along the way. There's
photos on our website in the gallery. It probably helps that the
dad trains auto shop mechanics.

Iva & Vixen
2004 Classic Red
No more winkin' Miata

Old October 20th 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 01:07:36 -0500, Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article >, Grant
> Edwards > wrote:
>
>> Wouldn't it mess up the weight distribution quite a bit by weighing
>> down the front end and "lightening" the rear?

> They claim "only a few percent" difference from stock. Such a car is
> definitely not going to drive like a Miata anyway, so it's probably a
> trivial issue. Obviously, a survival-minded driver will need to
> exercise some judgment regarding throttle opening.
>
> Flyin' Miata offers a similar kit, but it appears to position the
> engine a bit farther rearward, which requires some firewall cutting.
> It's good to have a choice of less work versus better result.

Better choice of engine as well. LS1/2/3 engines have aluminum blocks
and I would have to think they'd be lighter, more modern and more
powerful than the cast iron 5.0 from the Mustang.

An inconspicuous, modern day Cobra. With a salvage drivetrain it could
probably be done without breaking the bank.

Would there be any problem registering/insuring something like this? Do
you just sort of forget to mention the extra 200 horsepower, or what?
Old October 20th 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article om>,
Carbon > wrote:

> Better choice of engine as well. LS1/2/3 engines have aluminum blocks
> and I would have to think they'd be lighter, more modern and more
> powerful than the cast iron 5.0 from the Mustang.

Both the Boss Frog and FM kits use those engines.

> An inconspicuous, modern day Cobra. With a salvage drivetrain it could
> probably be done without breaking the bank.

FM's website has a cost breakdown for a variety of build options,
including a turnkey car: http://www.flyinmiata.com/V8/costs.php

> Would there be any problem registering/insuring something like this? Do
> you just sort of forget to mention the extra 200 horsepower, or what?

If you already own the Miata, it's a non-issue in most states. In
others, you'll probably never comply with emissions regs (CARB, etc.).

Insurance depends more on the driver than on the car. With a long, clean
record, it shouldn't be that bad for a car used only for pleasure. Never
lie to your insurance company--it's grounds for denying a claim, which
could ruin your life.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old October 20th 08, 03:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 21:09:55 -0500, Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article om>,
> Carbon > wrote:
>
>> Better choice of engine as well. LS1/2/3 engines have aluminum blocks
>> and I would have to think they'd be lighter, more modern and more
>> powerful than the cast iron 5.0 from the Mustang.

> Both the Boss Frog and FM kits use those engines.

My bad. I was thinking of the Monster Miata.
Old October 20th 08, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

Well, I think if you guys will go read the info. again, the last
sentance kind'a shows that they don't figure that you will use this car
to drive to work in. It sounds like they designed it for track or drag
use. For track use, the driver should know and be able to drive high HP
cars . I don't think it would be very hard to control this thing.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old October 20th 08, 07:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
(BRUCE HASKIN) wrote:

> I don't think it would be very hard to control this thing.

Use a really, really strong throttle spring...

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO