Q. for Daniel Stern re. HIDs

Old March 22nd 05, 01:07 AM
Ulf

Default Q. for Daniel Stern re. HIDs

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> H3/H4 is the fog light lamps, the headlamps should be the 9006/9007, or
> something like that. My fogs are H4, my low beams are the 9007. Actually, I
> forget if my low beams are 9006 or 9007, but they are common bulbs in any
> case.

Are you sure about this? H4 are dual filament bulbs while H3's are
single. His car being EU spec, and the 9006/9007 are US only, I doubt
that's what he has.

> "Mr Pook" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>Disclaimer: I'm live in the UK, hence all this is RHD.
>>
>>An aquaintance is upgrading his '98 BMW 5-series with 'xenon' light to
>>post '00 spec 'xenon' 'angel-eyes' units. He has offered me the old
>>lights at a very reasonable price, but I was just wondering whether
>>these headlights are any good or not?
>>An alternative was to go the H1IR route (I currently have '98 halogen
>>h3/h4) but the bulbs seem impossible to get hold of this side of the
>>pond.
>>
>>Thanks for any input you may have,

Yeah, xenon is better, but you need the ballasts in addition to the
lights or it won't work. You can't run xenon's on 12V, you know... :-)

>>Thomas Hood

Ulf

--
ulf.cc
Old March 22nd 05, 08:51 AM
Badger

"Ulf" > wrote in message
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>> H3/H4 is the fog light lamps, the headlamps should be the 9006/9007, or
>> something like that. My fogs are H4, my low beams are the 9007. Actually,
>> forget if my low beams are 9006 or 9007, but they are common bulbs in any
>> case.

> Are you sure about this? H4 are dual filament bulbs while H3's are single.
> His car being EU spec, and the 9006/9007 are US only, I doubt that's what
> he has.

My E39 was a 1999, UK spec, and it had the 9006/9007 bulbs as standard. They
are not US only.
Badger.

Old March 22nd 05, 09:40 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Badger > wrote:
> > Are you sure about this? H4 are dual filament bulbs while H3's are
> > single. His car being EU spec, and the 9006/9007 are US only, I doubt
> > that's what he has.
> >

> My E39 was a 1999, UK spec, and it had the 9006/9007 bulbs as standard.
> They are not US only.

In the UK, the bulbs changed certainly with the introduction of angel
eyes. Not sure of the types, though, but the older ones looked like H4.

--
*Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old March 22nd 05, 11:04 AM
Thomas Hood

> Are you sure about this? H4 are dual filament bulbs while H3's are
> single. His car being EU spec, and the 9006/9007 are US only, I doubt
> that's what he has.

Sorry -- typo I meant HB3/HB4 which I belive is 9005/9006.

> Yeah, xenon is better, but you need the ballasts in addition to the
> lights or it won't work. You can't run xenon's on 12V, you know... :-)

Yes, I know -- he's selling the ballasts with them.
Old March 22nd 05, 06:36 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Ulf wrote:

> the 9006/9007 are US only

9006 (HB4) and 9005 (HB3) are worldwide-approved bulbs. Not a _lot_ of
cars use them outside North America, but some do.

9004 (HB1) and 9007 (HB5) are North America only, not homologated
elsewhere in the world.

H13 (Ford and Wagner are mistakenly calling "9008") is worldwide, as are
H1, H3, H7, H8, H9, H10, H11 and H12.

H14 is homologated for Europe/Rest of world but so far used only in Japan.

DS
Old March 22nd 05, 06:51 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Thanks for the crosspost -- I've gone ahead and answered the OP's question
in alt.autos.bmw.

DS

Old March 22nd 05, 10:08 PM
Jeff Strickland

"Ulf" > wrote in message
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
> > H3/H4 is the fog light lamps, the headlamps should be the 9006/9007, or
> > something like that. My fogs are H4, my low beams are the 9007.

Actually, I
> > forget if my low beams are 9006 or 9007, but they are common bulbs in

any
> > case.

> Are you sure about this? H4 are dual filament bulbs while H3's are
> single. His car being EU spec, and the 9006/9007 are US only, I doubt
> that's what he has.

Sorry, I forgot about the EU spec.

I once had Cibie (now Hella, I think) headlamps that I put on a Mustang, and
they took the H3 or H4. My 3 Series takes an H-something as the fog light,
but I wonder now if that designation is different over here.

Old March 22nd 05, 11:47 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Jeff Strickland wrote:

> I once had Cibie (now Hella, I think) headlamps that I put on a Mustang,
> and they took the H3 or H4.

H4 high/low outer, H1 high-beam inner.

> My 3 Series takes an H-something as the fog light

Your E36 3er takes an H1 as the fog lamp.

> but I wonder now if that designation is different over here.

No, H1 is H1 all over the world.
Old March 23rd 05, 02:47 PM
Badger

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Badger > wrote:
>> > Are you sure about this? H4 are dual filament bulbs while H3's are
>> > single. His car being EU spec, and the 9006/9007 are US only, I doubt
>> > that's what he has.
>> >

>> My E39 was a 1999, UK spec, and it had the 9006/9007 bulbs as standard.
>> They are not US only.

> In the UK, the bulbs changed certainly with the introduction of angel
> eyes. Not sure of the types, though, but the older ones looked like H4.

Well, mine was a 1999, pre-facelift, no angel eyes and the std bulbs were
9006/9007. Of that I can assure you, as I fitted some replacement phillips
ones in an attempt to improve the std crap lighting.
Badger.

Old March 23rd 05, 03:12 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Badger > wrote:
> > In the UK, the bulbs changed certainly with the introduction of angel
> > eyes. Not sure of the types, though, but the older ones looked like H4.

> Well, mine was a 1999, pre-facelift, no angel eyes and the std bulbs
> were 9006/9007. Of that I can assure you, as I fitted some replacement
> phillips ones in an attempt to improve the std crap lighting.

Right. So they must have made the change pre angel eyes?

I was surprised at just how much better the angel eyes are as lights -
even halogen. And my old ones weren't in bad condition - although bulbs do
'age'.

--
*Upon the advice of my attorney, my shirt bears no message at this time