Richard Burns Rally - noob having hard time

Old November 5th 04, 10:06 AM
Jone Tytlandsvik

bob wrote:
> Dont waste your time looking at the speed, stay focused on the road
> ahead. This goes for any racing game. In Nascar for example I always
> turn off the speedometer.

Do you also remove that cone you mentioned?

--
Jone Tytlandsvik
http://tytlandsvik.no

Old November 5th 04, 11:29 AM
Ice D

"Kendt Eklund" > wrote:

> Go to bhmotorsports.com and get the RBR mod collection v2.0 - then
> activate Kai's cockpit - it moves the HUD to the steering wheel so its
> more like a proper dash. You might also want to try one of the
> numeric pacenotes mods - I changed and its alot more natural.

Agreed, I'm also using the Numeric Pacenotes mod v1.02 (I chose
'decreasing'), found he

http://www.bhmotorsports.com/download/7386

Just backup the 'audio.dat', and make sure you've unchecked 'Read Only' or
it won't work. Give it a try, if you don't like it, simply put back the old
'audio.dat'. IMO numeric pacenotes are less distracting, and the numbers
more or less correspond with the required gears.

Ice D

Old November 5th 04, 12:33 PM
Mark

LL Poo J > wrote in message >...
> I feel like smashing my controller, I am not good at this game. My
> problem is I want to go too damn fast around corners
> How fast should I go around medium left, fast right corners? Anyway its
> kind of hard looking at the speed and watching the road because its so
> far to the right. Also how can I bind a key on my controler to the
> enter key so I don't have to use enter for the stupid menu that I have
> to keep clicking through to restart a lesson? Right now I'm trying to
> pass the final advanced rally school and I can get 94s best.

I'm no expert - my best on that final stage is 80.9 - under a second
to find for that last gold star...

My tip, tho, is to pass all your basic tests then watch the "passenger
ride" which is RB doing the same course. It'll give you some
pointers.

Speed around corners? Dunno, but I have a favourite gear for the
different corners:
Medium: usually 2nd, sometimes 3rd.
Fast: usually 3rd, sometimes 4th.
Easy: 4th
Flat: Fast as I think I can manage - be more concerned about what is
coming next...

It's flamin difficult to re-educate yourself to keep it slow after
years of CMR...

Regards,

Mark
at V8thunder dot com
Old November 5th 04, 11:31 PM
LL Poo J

Kendt Eklund wrote:

> If you're stymied on the Rally School, set it aside and go play around
> on the stages for a bit. A run through Frazier Wells in the USA rally
> really clears out the cobwebs .
>
> HTH,
> Kendt

Wow, that is a fun course, my best was 2:25. Is that good or bad? Can
players break the course record? Are these courses real life and the
records too?
Old November 5th 04, 11:34 PM
LL Poo J

ymenard wrote:

>>"LL Poo J" > wrote
>>Would a steering wheel make it easier? I'm using the analog sticks for
>>turning and acclerating

> Would you drive your own personal car using an analog stick for turning and
> accelerating? That answers your question <G>

Yes but I am not convinced it will make a difference, a huge difference
is going from a key pad to an analog stick but now the steering wheel
seems like an ananlog stick with just a different shape. Besides I can
sit in my lazy boy with the controller in my hand can you do that with a
steering wheel? I still would like to try a steering wheel maybe I'll
borrow one from someone and see if my opinion changes.
Old November 5th 04, 11:53 PM
Charlie

numeric pacenotes and a manual shift work wonders for controlling corner
speed. it'a a simulator and won't play nearly as well on a pad as a
wheel.

Charlie
Old November 6th 04, 12:25 AM
Mitch_A

Yes and yes. I cant imagine sitting at a desk for 3-4 hours and not moving
once in a while :-) Just as important as the wheel are pedals. How can you
drive using an on/off switch gas and brake?

This is what Ive done for years. I picked up a couple of old end tables at
a garage sale and I put one on each side of my lazyboy then mounted my wheel
on a piece of ply 1/2"x12"x48" which resides between the end tables creating
a very comfy semi cockpit.

Mitch

Old November 6th 04, 12:54 AM
JP

ymenard > wrote in message
> >"LL Poo J" > wrote
> > Would a steering wheel make it easier? I'm using the analog sticks for
> > turning and acclerating

> Would you drive your own personal car using an analog stick for turning

and
> accelerating? That answers your question <G>
>

> --
> -- François Ménard <ymenard>
> -- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez
> Corporation - helping America into the New World...

No, but then, we're not driving real cars in a game either <g>

Old November 6th 04, 02:41 AM
Steve Blankenship

"LL Poo J" > wrote in message
> ymenard wrote:
>
> >>"LL Poo J" > wrote
> >>Would a steering wheel make it easier? I'm using the analog sticks for
> >>turning and acclerating

> > Would you drive your own personal car using an analog stick for turning

and
> > accelerating? That answers your question <G>
> >

> Yes but I am not convinced it will make a difference, a huge difference
> is going from a key pad to an analog stick but now the steering wheel
> seems like an ananlog stick with just a different shape. Besides I can
> sit in my lazy boy with the controller in my hand can you do that with a
> steering wheel? I still would like to try a steering wheel maybe I'll
> borrow one from someone and see if my opinion changes.

You can use a joystick very effectively for steering; some of the quickest
early GPL'ers used sticks. The biggest difference comes from having analog
pedals with gas and brake on separate axes, that allow you fully independent
control over those functions without affecting your steering inputs at all.
There's a reason why there's a completely separate left-foot braking setup
page for the center diff, after all... ;-)

One of the biggest thing differentiating driving sims from driving games is
how critical pedal input is. When you have a physics model that properly
handles weight transfer and a
tire model that properly translates that into grip or slip, what you do with
your feet on the pedals is often more important than what you do with your
hands on the wheel. Think of how much more involving it is to use analog
steering over buttons, then multiply that by three.

SB

Old November 6th 04, 03:42 AM
LL Poo J

JP wrote:
> ymenard > wrote in message
>
>>>"LL Poo J" > wrote
>>>Would a steering wheel make it easier? I'm using the analog sticks for
>>>turning and acclerating

>>Would you drive your own personal car using an analog stick for turning

> and
>
>>accelerating? That answers your question <G>
>>

>>--
>>-- François Ménard <ymenard>
>>-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez
>>Corporation - helping America into the New World...

> No, but then, we're not driving real cars in a game either <g>

Well The left analog stick is for steering the the right one is for
throttle