alternator cost?

Old August 14th 04, 11:14 PM
sduritza

Default alternator cost?

how much does an alt. run for...for my 94 sl-2???

Old August 15th 04, 12:20 AM
Zaphod

"sduritza" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> how much does an alt. run for...for my 94 sl-2???

you should be able to get the alternator for less than $150.00 O'reilly's
has them ranging in price from $85-$140.

When I needed mine replaced I was not able to do the work myself, but was
able to save some money by buying the part myself and taking it to the shop
to have installed. By doing it that way I avoided the markup on the
alternator that I would have been charged.

Mark.

Old August 15th 04, 02:46 AM
Oppie

If you are of a mind to rebuild your own or just need data, look at
http://www.wai-wetherill.com/products/ymm.cfm

WAI has parts for the professional rebuilders

Often you can buy a higher output unit that doesn't have to work as hard as
the OEM unit and will last longer too.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old August 15th 04, 02:32 PM
Ritz

Zaphod wrote:

> "sduritza" > wrote in message
> lkaboutautos.com...
>
>>how much does an alt. run for...for my 94 sl-2???
>>

> you should be able to get the alternator for less than $150.00 O'reilly's
> has them ranging in price from $85-$140.
>
> When I needed mine replaced I was not able to do the work myself, but was
> able to save some money by buying the part myself and taking it to the shop
> to have installed. By doing it that way I avoided the markup on the
> alternator that I would have been charged.

A lot of shops won't do that since they have no control over the part
quality. And then, if they do the job anyway, they won't warranty the
repair if the part fails. I do my own repairs, but if I was paying
someone else to do it, I'd have them source the part to make sure they
warrantied the labor AND the part if something went wrong down the line.

Cheers,
Old August 16th 04, 09:09 PM
two.dogs

Ritz wrote:

> Zaphod wrote:
>
>> "sduritza" > wrote in message
>> lkaboutautos.com...
>>
>>> how much does an alt. run for...for my 94 sl-2???
>>>

>> you should be able to get the alternator for less than $150.00
>> O'reilly's
>> has them ranging in price from $85-$140.
>>
>> When I needed mine replaced I was not able to do the work myself, but was
>> able to save some money by buying the part myself and taking it to the
>> shop
>> to have installed. By doing it that way I avoided the markup on the
>> alternator that I would have been charged.

> A lot of shops won't do that since they have no control over the part
> quality. And then, if they do the job anyway, they won't warranty the
> repair if the part fails. I do my own repairs, but if I was paying
> someone else to do it, I'd have them source the part to make sure they
> warrantied the labor AND the part if something went wrong down the line.
>
> Cheers,

And he probably takes his own food to a restaurant too!